HEIMAN HS1CG-E Gas Sensor

I purchased two of those sensors on Amazon and they came from China in a couple weeks. Adding them to ST was very puzzling. I searched and read multiple threads here but there was no single one with step by step procedure. It took me a lot of guessing and trials for a few hours. Sensors finally worked fine and whole procedure takes a couple minutes if you know what you are doing.Here it is:

• Plug sensor, wait for green light until flashing stopped.
  • Pair the sensor: On your cell ph. SmartThings app go to (+) Add Device, Auto Detect.
    -Push the reset button on a sensor side through a tiny hole. Sensor will blink green for a few seconds.
  • The App shall find the sensor as THING. Rename it what makes sense to you. Make sure it appeared in your devices.
    -Go to your ST web account using the PC. Click My Devices tab and find your sensor there. Click and open its menu. Click EDIT.
  • Go to TYPE, scroll down and select Orvibo Gas Detector. UPDATE.
  • Check your sensor status in MyDevices. It should be ONLINE-CLOUD.
  • Push TEST button on a sensor to simulate the alarm. The App must send a notification to your cell Smoke Detected ( if notifications enabled for Smoke alarms).

It looks like no custom device handler is needed here. I have tried a few suggested in some threads and they did not work. I deleted them all. Changing TYPE fixed everything.

Have fun!

3 Likes

Already mentioned here: Zigbee gas detector for kitchen

Hello @S_Vydrin,
I just installed it, checkinterval attribute is set to 1920 seconds, which make notifications delayed for up to 32 minutes. Do you know if there a way to configure this parameter?

Thanks in advance

Actually I waited for 32 minutes, but haven’t received any alarms in my mobile and in SmartThings IDE.

No, sorry. I did not even know this parameter exists.

If you don’t mind me asking, did you get your gas detector from Amazon? If so, was it purchased somewhat recently?

I bought 3 from Amazon & they all paired very easily as a thing but I have tried every custom DTH I can find plus the Orvibo DTH to no avail. No matter what I try, I cannot get these things to register any activity in either ST app.

Just curious if these are possibly just bad sensors…

Thanks, JD

Hi, sorry for delay.
I bought it at Amazon and going to return. I played with device handler trying to reduce ping interval, but it did not help.

I’m returning it back.

I bought the HEIMAN HS1CG Smart Combustible Gas Sensor for Z-Wave and tried to connect it to my SmartThings hub. I was able to connect it, but I couldn’t find a device handler that worked for me.

So after a bit of research I wrote my own one which you can find here:
https://github.com/rockberte/st-zwave-heiman-gas-sensor-hs1cg

It is as simple as possible:
Is just handles the NoficiationReport send from the sensor, while using the “Smoke Detector” capability.

It would be fine if anyone could take a look at it, or find ideas to extend it.
For me it works as needed -> it reports an alarm in case it detects gas, not more not less.

1 Like

I bought the HEIMAN HS1CG Smart Combustible Gas Sensor for Z-Wave and tried to connect it to my SmartThings hub. I was able to connect it, but I couldn’t find a device handler that worked for me.

So after a bit of research I wrote my own one which you can find here:
https://github.com/rockberte/st-zwave-heiman-gas-sensor-hs1cg

It is as simple as possible:
Is just handles the NoficiationReport send from the sensor, while using the “Smoke Detector” capability.

It would be fine if anyone could take a look at it, or find ideas to extend it.
For me it works as needed -> it reports an alarm in case it detects gas, not more not less.

I extended the DTH to support “Health Check” because the device was always shown offline as it doesn’t send any reports or states. So I added the “Health Check” capability which reads the devices version every 8 hours. That keeps the device ONLINE in case it is reachable.

Please find the new version again here:

You need to switch the DTH for the device after updating the DTH to any other DTH. And then switch it back again.
Otherwise the DTH’s installed() method won’t be called. That methods sets the Health Check interval used by the Health Check timer. That is necessary to start the Health Check timer.

Thank you so much for your installation instructions of this device. It took me 10 minutes to have it up and running.

Hi @MarcBerg

First and foremost thanks for the DTH. I was looking for a DTH for a Zipato HS1CG-Z (it’s Heiman re-branded, really) and given the very close model numbers I thought they would work. The Raw Descrition for my device is:

zw:L type:0701 mfr:0131 prod:8003 model:1000 ver:1.01 zwv:4.38 lib:06 cc:5E,85,59,86,72,5A,73,71

So I noticed the fingerprint is different and changed it in the code so that it could be readily detected. In fact it was, and the device rightly installed as a Combustible Gas Sensor. However, it remains in “Checking…” state in my case - never goes to Clear as I would expect it to.

Is there any advice you can give me about how this can be fixed please? Would appreciate it.

Hi again @MarcBerg

Please ignore my question above… I tested the sensor using a gas lighter (even though it remained “Checking…” and it went to Smoke Detected state right away - when that cleared, status was “Clear”. It also tripped my Smart Home Monitor alarm, and so now it seems to work great.

Thank you for your time writing and sharing the DTH, really appreciated!