I purchased two of those sensors on Amazon and they came from China in a couple weeks. Adding them to ST was very puzzling. I searched and read multiple threads here but there was no single one with step by step procedure. It took me a lot of guessing and trials for a few hours. Sensors finally worked fine and whole procedure takes a couple minutes if you know what you are doing.Here it is:
- Plug sensor, wait for green light until flashing stopped.
- Pair the sensor: On your cell ph. SmartThings app go to (+) Add Device, Auto Detect.
-Push the reset button on a sensor side through a tiny hole. Sensor will blink green for a few seconds.
- The App shall find the sensor as THING. Rename it what makes sense to you. Make sure it appeared in your devices.
-Go to your ST web account using the PC. Click My Devices tab and find your sensor there. Click and open its menu. Click EDIT.
- Go to TYPE, scroll down and select Orvibo Gas Detector. UPDATE.
- Check your sensor status in MyDevices. It should be ONLINE-CLOUD.
- Push TEST button on a sensor to simulate the alarm. The App must send a notification to your cell Smoke Detected ( if notifications enabled for Smoke alarms).
It looks like no custom device handler is needed here. I have tried a few suggested in some threads and they did not work. I deleted them all. Changing TYPE fixed everything.