SmartThings Community

Have ST access external web link?

arduino

(Mike) #1

Hello, recently got my ST up and running and it seems great but I only have a couple of devices for it at the moment. Currently, I have an Arduino Uno with a NIC shield attached to an 8ch relay board that uses the web to activate specific relays based on various external web addresses and commands. These relays activate/deactivate a traditional Ademco burglar alarm system, garage door opener, among other things using my phone via web access. Until I am able to replace all the Ademco devices (about 40) with ST devices, is there a way to incorporate the ST app to activate an external web address to activate the Arduino controlled relays? Such as when I arm the Smart things/away/home even Disarm, are these actions able to reach out to the specified web addresses that the Arduino uses to do the same for my current burg system? Thanks for any info.

There are a couple of different ways to do this.

The simplest is just to use a virtual switch in the smartthings IFTTT channel as the “if” and the IFTTT maker channel as the “that.”

But since it sounds like you have a strong technical background, you might want to just write a web services smart app to handle it. Other people in the community can give you more advice on this, and you might also want to take a look at the developer documentation at the top right of the first page of this forum. Just click on “community” at the top right of this page and then on the developer docs link in the top right there. :sunglasses:

(Mike) #3

Thank you very much for the info. I have written the code for the Arduino very specifically to activate my current set up. I am also familiar with the if/and/then/etc scripting if this is what you’re talking about. I heard the ST is capable of this but I guess I am more afraid of screwing it up than making it work how I would like. I will look into this and see what I can do. Thank you again!

As I’m thinking about it, I believe you may also be able to do this with core, which is sort of like a scripting language for SmartThings. It was created by a community member and is very popular. I know it can handle webhooks coming in, I just don’t know if it can create them to go out. So you might also want to look into that.

Tagging @ady624 , the author of core :sunglasses:

( I hate Mondays) #5

Yeah, CoRE can execute GET/POST requests using JSON or FORM encoding. It also supports internal IPs.

(Chris) #6

@ady624 the encoding doesn’t work on internal requests FYI. See my post here…

( I hate Mondays) #7

Oooh, thanks, will look into it tomorrow morning. Game time ;))

(Mike) #8

Just wanted to update, I have successfully accomplished this using ady’s CoRE and can now control all 8x of my relays over the web via ST. I went thru the IFTTT site with a fine tooth comb but it did not have what I was looking for (still has a ton of goodies that I can use for other things) so on some downtime at work today I dug in and got CoRE working 100%. Thank you all for your assistance and pointing me in the right direction! You’ve been a huge help!