Have MR16 Smart Lights come out yet?

I’ve searched the web and on here but its not clear to me. I think no. In the kitchen we have this fancy lighting strip with what I think are MR16 bulbs. The problem is that the other lights and this light strip are controlled by a single light switch. I’d like to split them apart somehow. I have to replace these lights but not sure what the options are. I did see the Lightify MR16 but it looked like a mock up page and not a real product, as far as I can tell at least.

. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nope, not yet. :confused:

1 Like

http://www.limitlessled.com/

http://www.limitlessled.com/shop/mr16-rgbw-ww-cw-color-and-white-led/

http://www.limitlessled.com/shop/mr16-rgbw-color-and-white-led/

I stand corrected. Can’t quite tell from the site, are they zigbee bulbs?

I just read more into them, they are wifi only not zigbee or zwave…

In the past, some community members have gotten the limitless LED lights to work with SmartThings, but you need another server to act as a “man in the middle” and there are a number of limitations on it:

not sure of this is of any use to you:

looks like Osram have started to make them so should work easily enough with SmartThings … if you can find them.

2 Likes

They’re available in the US now.

2 Likes

LIFX have just released GU10 bulbs:

https://www.lifx.com/products/lifx-gu10

And MiLight have rgbw MR16 bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/Mi-light-Dimmable-Spotlight-Controlled-Remote/dp/B01LARLAIW

I have the MiLight bulbs, but I don’t have them integrated into ST. The MiLight bulbs do actually give off some.decent color at a reasonable price. They’re built well - wish they were zwave or Zigbee.

MR16 / GU5.3 bulbs that use one of the low-power mesh secure network standards like ZigBee or ZWave instead of weird / proprietary Wi-Fi based protocols (which requires that the manufacturer continue to provide the Internet service which operates the lights) are still the exception rather than the rule. I can report excellent results with the Sylvania 74282 (an OSRAM design)- very bright, low latency, proper ZigBee - although they are a touch pricey - but have yet to find a good RGB option.

There are several bulbs out there which would seem to fit the bill, but they expect 85-230V AC input power… how that makes any sense with a bulb format that is normally 12V DC is beyond me, but there it is. I will be ordering some of the more promising looking new products that fit this description and will report back if one of them works well.

I was told about a brand new product from BillianceLED:

It uses a similar / same interface as the Philips Hue App. If Samsung SmartThings can integrate with Philips, then this should be possible.

Note that these are for 12VAC / Outdoor lighting

The one you linked to is not using the same protocol as Phillips hue.

Instead, it’s a Wi-Fi bulb, very similar to the ones already discussed in this thread. And with the same proprietary protocol issues. No smartthings integration, and as far as I can see, it doesn’t even integrate with Alexa.

1 Like

Yeah, you are right. I messaged Brilliance LED and got a response back. Looks like these bulbs are using a proprietary protocol to communicate with their iOS/Android app. I was for a second, very hopeful :cry:

1 Like

Anyone tried these lights by Gledopto?:

I recently purchased 12 of these to run with Zigbee2MQTT and Home Assistant here are my findings:

• Some of them did not like the old transformers that were already in my roof, fixed with LED drivers (to be expected)
  • They do not mesh well with each other, while annoying it’s not the end of the world. I picked up a few IKEA usb repeaters to not overload my cc2531
  • I had a lot of trouble with latency at first however this seems to have been fixed by changing the ZigBee channel after testing the wifi channels in my area
  • ZigBee2MQTT sees the device as a different GLEDOPTO light so at first you cannot control the white values (this was fixed by editing the devices.js)

I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has on these LEDs, while I am not using SmartThings some of the things I’ve learnt may apply.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clear breakdown! I also use Home Assistant, so very useful to know about the devices.js…

You would not believe how long it took me to figure that one out!!
Now that I have them setup properly, HA and Node Red has allowed me to make so many cool and very practical automations.

1 Like

I’m looking to integrate 2 of these bulbs into my home.
I currently have only a Harmony hub and from my understanding, I will need to add smartthings to my system in order to make it work.
Is it worth the try? will it work?

I use this one and it works fine.
LEDVANCE 74282 Sylvania Smart+ Zigbee Adjustable White MR16 LED Bulb, Works with SmartThings, Wink and Amazon Echo Plus - - Amazon.com

1 Like

So I bought the bulbs and I can’t seem to reset/pair them with anything. Not Ledvance or Sylvania apps or my Hubitat hub.

I tried the 5 times on/off method but I can’t get the bulbs to blink rapidly.
Any other ideas?