Has everyone seen the next generation SmartThings?

Hello Smartthings…

Can anyone let me know if the new Smartsense Motion can handle cold weather?
I want to try two of these outside under my roofline which is protected from the elements. Do you have an outdoor version planned for the near future?

Use the Aeon Labs Multi-Sensor, which is available from ST’s shop.

I have heard mixed reviews on the Aeon Labs motion sensor, but I have had great experience with the Smartthings products I presently have which is why I would like purchase more. Hopefully they have an outdoor motion sensor in the works…?

I’ve had the aeon labs motion sensor testing for awhile now… It’s ok.

The battery life sucks on it, I haven’t replaced any ST product batteries yet, but this thing is already at 15% and is dying very fast…

compared to the ST ones:

As you and others have pointed out, the SmartSense Motions (new and old) is not weatherized but could be used outside in only dry areas. The new SmartSense devices all use a new battery (Lithium CR-2) that should provide much longer life and better extreme temperature performance.

Alright I got 2x CR2 batteries to test. They work well, but the particular ones I got were slightly larger than the regular batteries so it was difficult to get them seated. With some effort I got it in and it all seems fine.

@Tyler Please keep us up-to-date on your testing. I prefer to use rechargeable batteries where possible.

As mentioned on the Developer Hour this week more new devices are being rolled out soon. A Tempreture & Humidity Sensor was discussed briefly? Is there an updated presence tag being launched soon?

There’s another sensor or two up our sleeves, yes. That doesn’t include a new SmartSense Presence sensor at this time.

@Tyler
Should I wait two weeks before my next order? Any hints of the other item?
I am outside the U.S. So I have to pay shipping and handling.

I’d say order now. I’m not sure on the timeline for the other releases.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Does the new sensor cover the same size of the room as the old one?

Is the reset time adjustable at all? I actually liked the 60 second reset time compared to the 12 set reset time. It was great at time to turn the light on and then off, 12 seconds is too fast.

Yes, it should cover the same size room.

The reset time is not adjustable, however if it’s still detecting motion it won’t reset. If you want your lights to not turn off that quickly you can use the “turn off after X minutes of no motion” setting.

But, if i want to use the Nightlight App where it turns off if motion, I have to set up 2 different apps now, not just one correct?

Is there an offset in the Night light app that i can use?

Also, w/ the new motion sensors updating at the 12 seconds is there a change that it will slow down the responsiveness of everything else, possible wireless since it is Zigbee and operating at 2.4ghz if I several of these throughout my house?

Where do i find that smart app? Some work needs to be done on the interface, I can’t even find a simple turn off after x minutes with no motion.

I wish apps were easier to find.

Do the moisture sensors also do temperature like the Fortrezz units? Any updates on what remote leads would work with them?

Yes the units measure temperature as well. I don’t have an update on compatible leads.

I’m planning a SmartThings deployment and am hoping to use some of the older motion sensors as range extenders. Would anyone be able to advise on whether there is any issue integrating new and old sensors in the same deployment?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of technical specs/manual/resources for each of the SmartSense sensor types?

Thanks.

1 Like

There should be no issues mixing sensors.

As for manuals, what is supplied with SmartThings isnt very technical, and I don’t recall seeing any supplemental information.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200903280-What-is-the-old-SmartThings-SmartSense-Motion-2012-

1 Like