Harmony Hub remote + ST integration gotcha (any workarounds?)

This is not really a ST problem but I figured I’ll ask here for help anyway (FWIW: I asked at the logitech forums an got nothing but crickets)

I want to create a harmony activity that will power on a ST controlled power strip, then turn on the TV, receiver, select input etc. This should be the bread & butter of what harmony activity is all about except it insists on doing the ST action last. Yes, it wants to turn on the power strip last which defeats the whole sequence. There did not appear to be any way to move the ST action to the top of the activity.
Any ideas on how I can achieve my quest to do all this with a single button press on the harmony remote?

The only thing I can think of is to create a harmony activity that just presses a ST virtual button and have that turn on the power and then run another harmony activity that runs the rest of the sequence. That sounds kludgey and I’m not even sure if it will work.

Use rule machine, You will likely need to hook the activity to a virtual switch or private boolean, then have that button delayed after the outlet turns on? Ask in the RM threads and someone will probably lay it out easier… but it should be doable.

There are a couple of ways to skin this cat. As mentioned above, RuleMachine, or even the standard ST SmartSwtich app can be used. But, if you want to control this behavior from your Harmony Remote, then you will probably have to create two different Harmony events? (e.g. the first one to call the ST switch/routine – which turns on the power strip, then waits a bit, then triggers the second Harmony event to indeed turn on all of the TV-related stuff.)

Or…
You MIGHT be able to do all of this within a single Harmony event. Basically, just realize that your first/initial commands won’t be “heard” by your entertainment devices, because they are powered-off. So, the first event that will be “heard/obeyed,” is the power-strip “on” command. Then, you simply add ADDITIONAL commands for the TVs and such. e.g. SECOND power and HDMI/input selector events for all of your devices (that DO get heard.)

I do something VERY similar for my Harmony events, so they will work whether the TV/equipment is “on” or “off.” e.g. the FIRST pass is so things happen FAST (when the gear is already on.) Change channels, or switch HDMI inputs, etc. I then insert pauses… and then repeat the commands. This way, they work when all of the gear is OFF, too. Because: When they are OFF, they need the extra time/pauses while the systems boot-up. By then, the “second set” of commands are being executed. Granted, when the TV/gear is already “on” – I see TWO events. e.g. The FIRST event to IMMEDIATELY switch to HDMI2 (which it quickly obeys.) Then, after it’s now already made the switch to HDMI2, I see another/second “HDMI2” message on my TV. But, nothing really happens, because it’s now already on HDMI2.

Just BE CAREFUL not to run two of these commands too soon/adjacent to one another, else you will find yourself in a loop! e.g. You are initially tuned to HDMI1. You hit the command to switch to HDMI2. Midway between switching to HDMI2, you then (also) issue an HDMI1 command. Which it will immediately obey, and flip back to HDMI1. Then, your initial script sends its second request to tune to HDMI2 – which it does. Then, your first script triggers its second command, to switch back to HDMI1. (Rinse & repeat…)

So, if/when you issue a device-change or whatever, you need to wait for the FULL script to run, before initiating another command/script. (This also happens when you don’t have decent “exit” commands properly defined in your Harmony events. e.g. everything you turn “on” as you enter the event, needs to be respectively turned “off” as you exit that script.)

Good luck!

Thanks! Now I need to find the time to cook this up.