Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

As a matter of fact, YES. I have four kids . . .some work better than others when in use. :joy:

But seriously I am not aware of an alternative solution unless you consider using a button type controller. The Remote In-Wall switch is slightly wider than a standard Decora but it isn’t too hard to cut it away about 1/8" to have it fit. Here is mine on the left next to a multi-tap HS-HDS100+ that I use to have as the primary control for my ceiling fan via the multi-tap operation.

I assume you mean something like this:

Yeah, it’s nice that it’s AC powered but it’s a shame it’s so ugly. I might have to put up with battery power I guess. I was thinking of a scene controller but I believe I read @Dalec’s comments elsewhere that it doesn’t work properly…
By the way how bright is the led on the “universal” version? Does it stay on while active or only when pressed?

No not at all! You don’t have any options using wall fan controller. I am talking about any button controllers that work with SmartThings. The picture I posted is an example of one on the right, the HS-WDS100+ is a dimming wall switch with button functions using multi-tap. So a tap UP could be turn on the light, a double-tap up could turn on the Fan to LOW, a triple tap UP could turn Fan on to HIGH, etc

Read this FAQ that can show you other options to control a Zigbee ceiling fan device instead of using the the more traditional wireless in-wall remote which you didn’t like.

1 Like

I’m having some trouble pairing my receiver. After turning on the power and going into pairing mode on my smartthings app it shows up as a “Thing” only. I am able to re-name it then select ok. In the my home section on the app the “thing” that I renamed to “bedroom fan” just states “please wait” It seems that it is stuck on this screen. Here is what smartthings device list on the web interface says about it:

Thing Device Bedroom Fan
Name Thing
Label Bedroom Fan
Type Thing
Version Published
Zigbee Id 0022A3000016B9E6
Device Network Id 6A51
Status ACTIVE
Hub Home Hub
Last Activity At 2017-04-28 9:50 PM MDT
Date Created 2017-04-28 9:50 PM MDT
Last Updated 2017-04-28 9:52 PM MDT
Data
application:
endpointId: 01
manufacturer: King Of Fans, Inc.
model: HDC52EastwindFan
Raw Description 01 0104 000E 00 07 0000 0003 0004 0005 0006 0008 0202 02 0003 0019
Firmware
Current Version: 0x0000000F
Target Version: 0x0000000F
Last Updated: N/A
Last Checked: 2017-04-28 10:07 PM MDT - Check Now
Current States No states found
Events List Events
In Use By

Any suggestions?

Did you install the custom device type handler? You have to change the device type from generic “thing” to the correct device type.

1 Like

As @marktheknife stated you need the custom Device Handler (3 total). Please see details and install instruction in this thread.

[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Thanks, it works perfectly now! I must have missed that step up above.

Do you know by chance what frequency the controller and remotes use?

Found the answer to my own question. According to FCC database it is frequency range 304.25-304.25 MHz
just FYI if anyone else has the same question

2 Likes

curious what do you need the info for?

So I can compare it to other remotes/fan controllers that are on ebay/amazon etc. If I can find one that uses the same frequency range for less $$ than buying the one that you linked. Also to see if it is in the RF range that the broadlink RM-pro will operate.

2 Likes

This is good to know. Might have to go with another in-wall switch when I finally get around to ordering the receiver from the replacement parts line.

1 Like

Boy oh boy, i’ve got my eye on that SC7 controller now! Let me just get on Amazon and… not available for purchase? Not on eBay either?? Oh for cryin out loud! :sob:
The truth is for maximum WAF I’ve got to have separate controls for fan and light. She puts up with a lot out of my little hobby here but her bedroom fan is sacrosanct. I cannot see her putting up with remembering to double tap, etc, no matter how clear the instructions on the post-it are!!
Thanks for the info anyway. I’ll be ordering from KOF this week probably, I’ll sort out the wall issue at a later date.

1 Like

Placed my order today!

1 Like

Let’s see who gets theirs to arrive first. My order went in today as well. :slight_smile: One of my devices seems to have a weird firmware issue because I was having inconsistency with the states syncing. The Live Logging showed no activity for the weird device and my other worked like a champ. They replaced it under warranty so a new one is on the way and I ordered a third to update another fan.

Anyone know how close the wireless transmitters with these types of fan receivers need to be in terms of frequency to still function? I have a Hampton bay fan receiver with a 4-dip-switch remote, but I think it operates at 303.5 MHz. If this receiver with zigbee works on 304.25 MHz to communicate with its remote, is my older remote likely to work? @JDRoberts?

Mark,

The frequency has to be spot on. Even if it is, the coding/modulation scheme isn’t necessarily the same. I think these trasmitters/receivers do have some level of standardization in the industry (I design public safety radio so I don’t have experience with consumer electronics) but it’s a leap to assume that a transmitter and receiver of different manufacturers with work together, even if they’re on the same frequency.

But consumer grade has a fair amount of ‘slop’ in it, so you may get lucky. At 750KHz away I’d bet against it.

1 Like

I’m finding the question confusing, because zigbee only works on 2.4 GHz.

But @MouthBreather made the most important point, which is that the two frequencies have to match exactly or they can’t exchange messages. You might get some interference from a nearby band, but you wouldn’t be able to talk to it.

Sorry if I was unclear. The zigbee part of the receiver works on 2.4ghz, yes. the local control with the wireless remote (like with any other fan/remote combo that doesn’t have zigbee) is on 304.25 MHz.

@MouthBreather’s response is helpful, thanks!

1 Like

Can I use the same UPC number to order the receiver?

Yes, that is the UPC number on the Ceiling Fan box that they need to reference back to the zigbee receiver MR101Z. Remember you do not have to get the remote that comes with that UPC, you can buy one that might better suit you like the in-wall version.

1 Like