Govee DreamColor LED Strip Lights with WiFi and Smartthings?

Hi All,

I got this working following Bigg_X’s suggestions, which slight modifications. It was quite easy to do. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Created a Virtual Lock in Smartthings API
    Following these directions: FAQ: Creating a virtual Device
    but instead of a Simulated Switch, select Simulated Lock.

(Simulated switches cannot be used as a trigger in Alexa routines, as I learned, but locks can)

This should show up in the ST app and also in the Alexa app.

1. In Alexa, add two new Routines.
    For trigger, select the simulated lock that you just created. If Unlocked, turn on the Goove light. If locked, turned it off. (both trigger and action are under Smart Home)

That’s all! Works fine. Cannot change color and such in ST from this single Simulated Lock - however, multiple locks can be added that trigger different colors, if one desires. For me, On-Off is enough.

Unfortunately they cannot be used in routines in ST - those only take switches, not locks. Arg…

Any way of controlling it without using Alexa?

I got Google all over the home… not much of an A fan…

I spent the good part of the last 2 hours trying and all i got was something like server unreachable or something…

I need to get a motion sensor to turn on a govee strip when motion is detected

I emailed Govee and they said Smartthings is on their radar but was initially working on IFTTT

2 Likes

Got the integration working with IFTTT (uses 2 of the 3 free IFTTT applets).
You will need to link both Govee and ST accounts to IFTTT for this to work.

1. Create Virtual switch using Virtual device creator
  2. Create 2 IFTTT applets to turn on Govee switch ON when Virtual switch is ON
    and Govee switch OFF when virtual switch is OFF
  3. Create webcore script to detect motion and turn Virtual switch ON, wait 5 mins then turn Virtual switch OFF

screenshot.471

You can also do this using Alexa routine, if that’s your preference (no Virtual switch needed as Alexa will directly work with Govee and if motion sensor is visible to Alexa)

2 Likes

Ifttt with virtual switch works great. Didn’t realize Govee had connected with ifttt yet. Last time I looked it hadn’t. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

You can integrate govee with smartthings by following instructions here

Then you be able to create automations to turns lights on/off when your tv is switched on/off etc.

7 Likes

Thanks for this! I’ll give it a try later today

is the KED/device id the hardware version? hardware and model are all i have in the configuration tab

You need to open the index.html file in your chrome browser on laptop and it will show you your devices and ids

1 Like

You also need to request a govee api key 1st, as this is needed to control devices with smartthings. Then on the index.html page click on the Configuration tab, enter your govee api key and it returns the device’s ids. ! Screenshot_20201228-174802_Govee Home|225x500

2 Likes

1 Like

I clicked on the index.html and just led to a page of code. how do I get to the page you showed with configuration tab?

Click on the button “raw”, then you can download the page and open it up. Easier on a computer.

1 Like

OK, hate to seem like such a newb but thanks for the help… ive clicked raw, how do I download and open?

LOL Nevrmind…I figured it out

1 Like

Good to hear!

1 Like

and works great! thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks to Dean Berman for sharing the code and instructions. Hopefully govee support team will take note and release a supported version in future.

1 Like

I recently messaged them through their app and they replied it was on their radar

1 Like

So I followed all the steps, and when I access the device on the smartthings app, it will not turn on… Govee Model is H6159. Pretty new with all this so any guidance would much appreciated…

I could not get it to turn the lights on and off… any suggestions. Govee Model h6159