Google Home my first impressing with using

Not sure about the voltage, but might be specified on the bottom or on the power adapter.

Here is the back of my Power supply

Ha
first thing I ask Home for was today’s appointments.

You have a calendar entry for 8pm, the title is: Your account balance is xxxx.xx

apparently EVERY day in addition to my regular appointments, I have an account balance appointment too
and the number doesn’t match any bank accounts I have. :wink:

What a screwup.

3 Likes

I am liking her more and more.

Little subtle things like responding a little bit differently each time.

Hey Google, Play some Merl Haggard. Her response: Ok, playing some Merl Haggard.

Hey Google, Play some Huey Lewis. Her response: Playing Huey Lewis on Google Music.

Hey Google, Play some Hank Jr
 Her response: Allright Playing some Hank Williams Jr. on Google Music.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/VOKlnS0a0Rw

3 Likes

thanks. so 100-240v and 50-60hz, should work in the entire world if (hopefully) not Google have set some limitations in the app itself.

I also like adding stuff to my shopping list. I shared that list with my wife, both have access to it now. No more of her asking me to add stuff to it when I am busy (or just lazy and not want to do it.)

I just finished with some IFTTT integration. I couldn’t be happier.

I did notice that casting my photos got the message of feature not yet ready.

1 Like

I can second that, i was trying to do what the demo was doing with 
“show me my “photo album” on the TV” through google cast and it said its not ready yet. Otherwise I do really like the smartthings integration so far. It can tell me what lights are on, what the temp is downstairs / upstairs, what the thermos are set to, set the thermos. Seems like she doesnt understand door lock status, or anything beyond a switch. But I believe that was too be expected on release. The language is very natural though. I dont have to look up how to ask for things, I just do it the way I would ask a person. I do find that pretty amazing.

3 Likes

What IFTTT integration did you do?

I’m just curious, did you create your own recipes?

Yes I created my own recipes.

The channel isn’t Google Home but Google Assistant.

What recipes did you create?

I’m asking for 2 reasons.

1. I have not created an IFTTT recipe yet

2. I would like some ideas

I created one to add to do items to my todoist. I also created one to flip a virtual switch for running a routine.

1 Like

Just wanted to join the conversation. I live in Canada, but drove to the US yesterday morning to pick-up 6 Google Home’s. I have them in the kids rooms, our room, the bathrooms and one in the living room. I also have Chromecast in each room and a Chromecast audio in the Kitchen. I sold three Sonos Play 1’s and the Amazon Echo in order to buy the Google Home.

First impressions
 I absolutely love them. The audio is better than I expected (not as good as the sonos), but for what I am using them for its perfect. I use the Chromecast audio with a better speaker when I want great sound.

The microphone is just as responsive as the Amazon Echo and Google’s ability to only answer you on the unit that heard you the best is a nice feature. I find that “OK Google” hears me every time (even when music is playing loud), but “Hey Google” is sometimes missed. It is very fast!!! I was shocked at how quickly it respond to commands, whether it’s turning on a light, answering a question or playing a song.

Features I am missing
 having the music start automatically when I walk in a room or open a cupboard in the morning. It doesn’t look like these features are available yet, but I am sure they are coming. If someone has a suggestion to do this let me know
 maybe IFTTT?

I agree with one of the comments above
 how it won’t only turn on/off the light in the room you are in. If you ask it to turn off the light, they all go out. You can however be specific and that works.

The casting feature is impressive
 video only at the moment. When we ask it to play a video about something on one of our TV’s it brings it up almost instantaneously. The kids love it! As mentioned above, photos don’t work at the moment.

The ability to create groups and have it perform certain commands is great. For example I created a group called “All Rooms”. I can then say “Play Coldplay in all rooms” and boom
 it does it. I can then say “Stop casting in all rooms” and it stops. The next time I say play a song, it only plays on the one speaker.

I can also ask it to play a song in a particular room (from another Google Home). After that I can say “turn up the volume to 8” and it know I am talking about that particular speaker
 very cool!!!

The only other feature I am truly missing is multiple accounts. This will be great once it’s implemented. For now I link a few accounts in google’s setting (calendars etc.) and this seems to be working.

All in all
 Google and Smartthings have done an amazing job with this product launch. Can’t wait to see what they have in store for us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can Google home speak push commands? For example if I have a door sensor on my mailbox can Google home announce I have mail when the mailbox opens?

There was talk about Amazon implementation of this on Alexa a few weeks ago, however I haven’t heard anymore about it.

Not that I have been able to find.

Thank for the reply, one more quick question. You probably could only answer this if you have a nest camera. Was wondering if I could ask Google home to show me the “driveway camera” on living room TV. Since Google owns nest
 They are all on they same WiFi (nest, Google home, chromecast) seems like it would work

it’s possible to change the language, because I’m French

since it is US only, I am pretty certain that you cannot change language.
otherwise they would launch it globally.

personally, I find it to be a good thing (might change that once I give it try), with all the security concerns with “always listening”. That will be solved naturally by speaking our native language to each other and english with home/alexa.

my sister live un usa and ship to me in one weeks, I’m practice my English with google and I’m wait update :grinning:

2 Likes

@johnosstyn I only have the Arlo cameras and it doesn’t work. Not sure about the Nest cams.