Good ways to hide motion sensors?

Do any of you guys have clever disguises for them?

@Mike_Maxwell has done a lot with embedding. I’m sure other people have other ideas as well, the community is very creative. :sunglasses:

BTW, you probably already know this, but PIR sensors cannot detect through glass. They’re not really “motion” sensors, they detect very small changes in heat passing across the sensor.

Yeah, I tried to do that for the mailbox just on the other side of some glass at the front door! :slight_smile:

That is why I like the iris motions. They are tiny and can be found for a good price. They are designed for corner mounting, but I usually just place them on top of the window, when you do that its angled slightly down and works well.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_690402-41277-3326-L_0__?productId=999925310

How do you include the iris type devices?

Does it find it as a Smartthings SmartSense?

They are part of the SmartSense motion sensor signature, so they just work. It happened about a month ago.

I just got a batch in today, paired up no problem. Although I think there is a bug in the ST client where it never said “found” but they appeared as “Iris Motion” in my devices to configure.

1 Like

Cool!!! Do they report temp too?

They sure do. This thread has a pic and you can see its about half the size of ST one

If you look in the “deals” thread there is a way to get them for about $21

edit: combined two posts

1 Like

Definitely not as cheap as the Iris sensors, but I love the Aeon Multisensor 6 with recessor kit.

3 Likes

mustache.

I put them on a shelf and in about 5 days I don’t see them anymore.

2 Likes

I do like the multisensor, I have one in my game room. I thought about installing like this, but the thought of cutting a hole in my ceiling…

I just wish the lux reporting worked better on them.

Until my house cleaning crew moves them when they dust & don’t line them up right when they put them back. But it only takes 10 seconds to move them back.:grin:

Holy crap those dudes are tiny! I picked one up today!

1 Like

I put a SmartSense Motion Sensor above my door. Barely noticeable unless you look up!

This is for a room arrival SmartApp still in dev.

1 Like