GFCI breaker in panel with SmartThings?

Quick question…

I want to replace my individual gfci plugs with regular plugs, to be up to code I would replace the regular breaker with a GFCI in the panel. If I put aa zwave plug in there would it work on the gfci?

Yes it will work just like a regular plug.

If you want to go above and beyond code, I would suggest installing a combination GFCI/AFCI breaker. The cost differential isn’t too bad and the added protection from arc faults is worth the extra money.

I like your electrical inspector. I’ve tried going that route multiple times in different towns and had the inspector refuse to sign off with the GFCI breakers. They wanted the individual outlets. Stupid me thinking it was easier to just wire the whole bathroom on GFCI circuits rather then spending $300 on GFCI outlets , or putting GFCI breaker in the panel for all the outdoor outlets and lights instead of just using outlets.

1 Like

Ok you have an OCD inspector. Most inspector will pass one GFCI outlet master and slaving a bunch of regular plugs. So changing a breaker to GFCI usually pass.

You think the electrical inspector is bad, I’ll introduce you to the plumbing inspector that insisted I put a high pressure release valve on my tankless water heaters and an extra check valve before the check valve in the autofill valve on the steam furnace.

1 Like

Unfortunately Article 210.8 of the NEC which provides guidelines on GFCIs only states where they are required and doesn’t provide much guidance on how they should be applied. This gives the inspectors some latitude on what is or isn’t a violation. The lack of firm direction from the NEC can also play in your favor if you are feeling brave enough call the inspector on their shenanigans.

Most cities/counties/etc. also have local versions of the NEC, so it might be advantageous to see what the local code says. In Seattle for example, the rules for GFCIs are taken verbatim from the NEC.

1 Like

In our area they don’t accept a GFCI in the panel. They prefer each outlet with a GFCI but will accept a master as long as it is exposed and easily accessible. This is because of the new “Readily Accessible” clause:

“Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspection without requiring those concerned to use a tool, to climb over, remove obstacle, or other.”

They interpret the panel door as an obstacle.

3 Likes

Yeah, for sure it varies by area. I used to deal with electrical inspectors daily. Most of them are really good and if you have a good reason why you do certain thing. They will sign it off. Haven’t run into a problem where I replace a non GFCI smart plug for a client and change the circuit breaker to GFCI. Cost a fortune for sure. Unless the house is brand new then that’s a different story. They want a GFCI plug mostly because you are suppose to test it often and can be reset easily if tripped. We all know how often people trip test them. Usually never.

I test mine every time I plug in my razor with wet hands :sweat_drops:

1 Like