Get ready to make the switch!

@SmartThings guys @Brad_ST @blake.arnold , any chance we get an update on the progress of the Smartthings app and new integrations, as things have gotten really slow since the switch announcement.

2 Likes

Release frequency has been up a little bit since the switch announcement, certainly not down.

Not everything has been an improvement, but there has been change.

6 Likes

They used to add devices every few days. Now they have added 2 devices within 3 weeks. Also, they used to update us on what is comming and what is happening. It has been 3 weeks they have said they are working to bring more changes to the app. Where are those changes? When are they comming? What new features they are planning to add since then?

Now that smartthings has released the API for their platform, it is up to the device manufacturers to create the integrations and release them. I think we got a whole bunch at once when they first opened it up from companies that had been waiting for the changeover.

And now, of course, any development that depends on teams in China or other countries infected by coronavirus may be slow for awhile.

2 Likes

Dear @JDRoberts, the point of the question was to get some guys from the @SmartThings team to provide some inside about the near future. I am fully aware of what your are saying.

2 Likes

I think they’ve heard so much that it has to be rather overwhelming, and perhaps adding to the their challenge of prioritizing the release of new features vs. fixing lagging bugs, and new bugs that fail any QA processes (aka, 1 step forward, 2 steps back).

1 Like

Have they released anything for Hub connected devices and the new mobile app yet?

I don’t believe they have, but I’ve only been skimming this topic and I haven’t reviewed the documentation for a few weeks so I could be wrong

1 Like

No. The VID Selector tool adds to the pool of available clues, especially if you’ve played with Device Profiles in the Developer Workspace, but it is still largely guesswork.

3 Likes

The really annoying part is that some of the VIDs, like all of the ones for buttons, completely break things in the new mobile app. (that was between 2/28 and 3/2 so maybe they’ve fixed it since then
)

After hours of fighting with it I finally discovered that if you add ocfDeviceType: “x.com.st.d.remotecontroller” and don’t include a vid then the “supportedButtonValues” attribute works perfectly

2 Likes

@blake.arnold

IDevices updated their app today.

And you know what they did? They improved voice navigation! So it can be done. :sunglasses:

In particular, their app now does a great job of reading aloud the information from the tiny icons, like the “motion activated“ and battery readings from a sensor tile.

Just sayin’
 :wink:

13 Likes

As an iOS developer I can attest to the fact that VoiceOver support is indeed possible and actually fairly easy to implement thanks to great support from the SDK. Especially after receiving feedback from blind users as to what works and what doesn’t, fixing things is typically fairly straightforward and easy.

Of course that assumes that the developer actually cares about the user

I understand your frustration and it amazes me that every update seems to make things worse rather than better.

3 Likes

Is there any progress with the device handler for SimpliSafe being ported to the new app with official support?

Is the Iris keypad working with the new app?

It depends what you mean by “working”

:grinning: Yeah, I have that much

New version 1. 7.45.28 keeps crashing since it got updated.

Try removing the app and perform a clean install

Tried that. Still crashes same way.

Yep, I have the same problem. This new app has me reeling. Its so hard to see it ever working right. how can it take so long to fix an app that has being in use for so long. The time it takes to sync is heart breaking and that is when it doesn’t crash or freeze . I Have being here a long time and the old app served us well. The new one is a shambles. Getting tired of waiting for this to come together.

1 Like

I bumped into the guardrails in Automations today. I deleted some automations I no longer needed and I’m still seeing the error. Ugh! I’m starting to lose my sense of humor with Smartthings!

2 Likes