Get ready to make the switch!

Kinda surprised they did not tell you to do a factory reset on the hub and rebuild everything first. That seems to be the support I always got.

1 Like

i told one that i fixed the problem myself and when they said that they were happy they could help i replied back again and said they were absolutely no help at all to begin with. :PFFT:

3 Likes

Two points:

1. Using the Developer Workspace for working with Groovy Device Handlers isnā€™t going to gain you anything unless you are intent on publishing a handler to make it available in the app. Just use the IDE as that is all the Developer Workspace is going to tell you to do.
  2. If you want to be part of an organisation, then just create one.
2 Likes

First time I have ever seen this appear:

I have seen that a few times.

1 Like

I have seen it a couple of times when i first migrated over to the new app.

Its normal. Some devices require additional resources and code in the app.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I clicked download and it did add a new circle dimmer control section on the GE Dimmer switches.

Question- Anyone have the GE In-Wall Smart Fan Control switch? If so, what are you using for the Control Type in IDE? If I recall these defaulted to a dimmer, but I have a custom device handler on mine. Just wanted to see what the best option was now with the new app.

Honestly not sure where to post this but completely frustrated with the new app. Iā€™m now 4 clicks away from just turning on a lightā€¦ open app, select devices, select the device, click on/off. Plus there is a network delay as the silly thing tries to establish connectivity ahead of when that connectivity is actually neededā€¦ plus, I canā€™t easily see what smartapps are connected to a device. Overall it is slow and clunky. Iā€™ve served as the CIO for a number of public companies and can say I do embrace change but this is not an upgrade in any sense of the word. Iā€™m sure it solves some back-end technical challenges but wow from a front end UI perspective Iā€™m just about ready to call it quits. Happy to recommend some great mobile UI developers who can get this thing optimized. If not, does anyone know if there are any 3rd party UIs?

2 Likes

I used to use a custom DTH. Now I use the stock Z-Wave Fan Controller and it works well.

2 Likes

use Z-wave Fan

1 Like

ActionTiles, SharpTools just to name a few.

And - next time - just open a new thread. If you pick the wrong forum, @JDRoberts or @jody.albritton will move it to the right spot, Iā€™m sure.

2 Likes

Thanks. I switched to that one. Looks like even with it, the Execution Location still shows as Cloud. The GE Dimmer switch (same brand but for lights) shows it is Local. Was hoping to get Local on the fan too.

Are you planning on using ā€œSmartLightingā€ for the automation? If not, then it really does not matter all that much as every single other automation runs in the cloud. Only SmartLighting is eligible to run as a local app on the hub.

2 Likes

There is no local fan controller DTHā€¦ ā€¦yet - you CAN use the Zwave Dimmer but you lose the hi, med, low divisions in the detail UI and fancy swirly fan icon in newapp. :slight_smile: (Have to admit that one is cool if not usefulā€¦)

To make a DTH local it has to be installed in the hub firmware. First step to that is having it as a default provided DTH - now that we have Zwave Fan (Didnā€™t used to) thereā€™s hope it may get pulled to the hub and become local. We as end users can suggest that by submitting a feature request ticket to Smartthings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, there are some paid and some free. You canā€™t do everything you can do in the official app, specifically you canā€™t do the admin functions like add a device, so you would still have to use it occasionally. But as far as everyday turning on a light, checking the status of devices, etc. these ā€œdashboardā€œ options work well and are very popular.

See the recent discussion thread. Although the person is asking about a wall panel, the same apps will work on a phone since they are browser-based and you can customize the tiles. :sunglasses:

FAQ: Sharptools , actiontiles or native ST app for your wall panel? (2020)

2 Likes

Thanks once again JDR. Happy to pay and use the stock Samsung app for admin functionality, fair trade for efficiency.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that the dashboard topic I linked to includes a number of posts from @tgauchat , who sadly passed away shortly after that thread was created. He is very much missed in the forum.

He was one of the developers for ActionTiles, so if you have any questions about one of his posts, just reply to it and tag @625alex and youā€™ll get an answer.

Hey @ctdennis - Iā€™m the lead developer of SharpTools dashboards, so feel free to tag me or PM me if you have any questions about SharpTools!

I use SharpTools dashboards on my phone as the primary means of controlling my home and checking the status of things. Hereā€™s a quick video of the main dashboards I use on my phone. As JDRoberts and others have mentioned though, one of the great things about dashboards is you can customize them to look and feel how you want them to.

4 Likes

This is definitely needed, but they need to be able to speak Korean.