Get ready to make the switch!

@fightingmajor If I understand what you are attempting to do, currently the only way to do it would be to chain together automations, a virtual switch, and modes.

A first automation would change the mode (say to “Home”) when the virtual switch is turned on. A second automation would turn the switch on when either member is at your location but only when the mode is something other than “Home” mode. And then you’d want something that resets the virtual switch to “off”.

So if you get home first and the location is in “Away” mode, the 2nd automation would “turn” the virtual switch on which would change the mode to “Home”. Then if another location member arrives, nothing should happen as the location mode is already “Home”.

Does that sound like what you’re trying to accomplish? With the ability to use mode in the “If” and the “Then”, it all becomes a lot simpler and hopefully that functionality is supported soon.

1 Like

I’m not trying to use any virtual switches as a user shouldn’t have to hack the new app just to make it do that same simple thing the Classic app did. So what you are saying is I have to create a virtual switch for each mode. I happen to have Home, Away, Night and Bedtime so that means I have to create 4 of them. Then to recreate I’m Home in Classic which was:

Classic app - Routine I’m Home
Turn on these lights or switches - LR 1, LR 2 and LR TV
Change the Mode to Home
When to Run - Someone Arrives - Which - Person 1, Person 2 Minimum Away Time 5 mins
Advanced Options - Don’t automatically do this if I am in one of these modes - Bedtime, Home, Night
Push Notification - Yes

I have to start off by creating Automations of

If Mode is Home then Turn VR Home on, VR Away Off, VR Bedtime Off, VR Night Off
If Mode is Away then Turn VR Away on, VR Home off, VR Bedtime Off, VR Night Off
If Mode is Bedtime then Turn VR Bedtime on, VR Home off, VR Away Off, VR Night off
If Mode Night then Turn VR Night on, VR Away off, VR Home Off, VR Bedtime off

Now I have to create a Home Scene of : Turn VR Home on, Turn LR 1 on, Turn LR 2 on, Turn LR TV on

Now back to Automations

If person 1 arrives and mode is away, Run Home Scene
If person 2 arrives and mode is away, Run Home scene

I’m just guessing this is what I have to do as I’m not about to delete my Routines to give this a shot. But to replace 1 simple I’m Home Routine I have to create 4 virtual switches (6 if I want to add the ones for users to see if they are home or not since that was taken out of the new app as well), 6 automations and 1 scene. How does this make things more simple? How would a brand new user even figure out to do this? What is the thinking process on how this is a better way of doing things? I’m not even sure if this works or not as I’m just trying to wrap my brain around how it would have to work using the new app.

I noticed that you didn’t comment on what the supervisor told me in regards to presence on iOS in the new app is not meant to work? Is this a plan to get rid of iOS users? Will iOS users be forced to buy the keychain thing that has poor battery life and doesn’t really work that great? I can tell you personally, I’m not carrying another item for presence. I’m already down to just having a key fob with no keys whatsoever. Please set the record straight after commenting on above on if this is the plan as the Supervisor emailed me the information he got just today from the development teams.

Thank you for response in advance and I yield the remainder of my time to you.

1 Like

Have you tried Smart Lighting? You can add the following in a scene…
Turn on these lights or switches - LR 1, LR 2 and LR TV
Change the Mode to Home

Activate the scene above using presence as the trigger and select your presence sensors. Set Activate when someone arrives.

Under more options, select the modes to run in which would be all except the following…
Bedtime, Home, Night

If you need the Push Notification, that would require a separate automation.

I do not have the full context of the above screen but no, I am not aware of any iOS restrictions of mobile presence or plans to remove mobile presence from SmartThings.

2 Likes

From what I have been told, all calls at the help center are recorded. Shouldn’t be too hard to have a supervisor pull up the conversation. Actually I really hope that would happen. This is the information Supervisors are providing.

1 Like

I don’t want to start worrying about potentially nothing, so hoping someone may be able to convince me that the systems I’ve painstakingly put together over the past few years aren’t suddenly going to be, essentially, disabled and useless? For example

• home alarm system
  • trv’s and a zwave thermostat for smart heating
  • a stack of temp sensors for the above and for a hot tub & boiler.
  • etc

I rely on the following:

These reply on custom DTH’s and I’ve spent a fair bit of time and money on these. They currently work perfectly well using the classic app. Are you going to pull the plug, and thus these become ususable from a system I already happily use multiple times daily? I hope not. Can you please clarify ?

The good news is ST has announced there will be plenty of time for the transition :slight_smile:

Have you installed the new app, logged in and tested your devices to see if they are working? If you are experiencing issues with any Smartapps or device handlers, all you need to do is ask and the community and ST staff will gladly assist. The task that will require the most attention may be rebuilding any routines you have in the Classic app and converting them to Automatiions/Scenes in the new app.

But again, there should be plenty of time to switch :slight_smile:

routines etc not a problem.

I have not installed the new app.

I was under the impression that any self-published dth’s would not function at all, hence the lack of attempt. is this true ?

Not true. They will work but some may require modifications to work in the new app. ST is also still working to make sure everything works fully in the new app. Again, best advice I can offer is to test the new app. Everything may work for you. If not, you can ask for assistance here and many users here will be glad to help you. If by chance, something does not work, you can continue to use the Classic until a solution is found or made available.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take a closer peek when time allows. Much appreciated for the response.

I would say though that immediately, the fibaro smart implant is not compatible.

Could you assist?

So ST was down again this morning. While the notice almost touches on this, SMHM didn’t detect an intrusion during this outage. The issue wasn’t limited to controlling/seeing devices in the app.

When this came back online, all my rooms/devices showed up on my dashboard! It took me at least an hour to set up favorites, sort rooms and devices within room. WTH Samsung? Why would you lose all my customization within the app after a back end outage?

https://status.smartthings.com/incidents/hy20gg61w19f

I use presence sense in similar ways and until it works in the new app I will be sticking with the classic app. I have Routines defined like “First person returns”, “person 1 returns”, “Person 2 returns” and “Last person leaves”. These all automate states of security, modes, HVAC, garage doors, lighting, etc. It seems like one of the most basic components of the ecosystem and I don’t understand why it would be excluded.

1 Like

I noticed that too, but only STHM moved up to the top where it use to be below a few Room favorites. The rest of my customizations seemed to have recovered OK. I’m an Android user. Are you iOS?

Android 10…

Yikes, I was not betting on that. Did you clear out any data/cache during the outage?

That’s all I saw, too, but only on my Android 10 phone. Android 9 Samsung tablet was fine. I don’t have any devices hidden within rooms. Rooms were in my customized order as were devices within rooms.

Nope, just opened the app, tried to pull up a device to turn a light off and close it when I saw it wasn’t working.

Mine never saves the dashboard and my damned Samsung TV keeps popping back to the top of the list every time I delete it. Saving the state of the home screen in NewApp has been notoriously bad for me - Never worked right - I’ve become numb to it now. Android 10 on Galaxy S10

It is constantly rearranging the order of the rooms in my app. It’s definitely a bug and drives me crazy to say the least.

It was not related to the outage and there seems to be no reason for it to happen.

1 Like

It must be because the software and most of it features is developed to Samsung phones. Oops, you are using the last year’s flagship, don’t worry Samsung may will support it for another year. :wink:

This topic is not even a month old. But has so far 729 posts. And there wasn’t a major update of the app since then, just one without any changes highlighted.
If the feedback is needed from the users then ask for that, but don’t show that something will change soon. The list of bugs and missing features are extremely long and hasn’t shortened so far, just the confusion and disappointment increased.