Get google home to see and control linear garage door opener (2gig)?

Understood, I gotcha covered!

Much like how I do it
using IFTTT to run the Goodnight routine via a momentary switch. Works perfectly. Routine turns off lights in family room, turns on light in bedroom, and enables SHM for Armed/Home, which warns me if any monitored doors are open. I don’t auto-close the garage door for safety reasons
my son sometimes works on his bikes in the garage late at night. Even with the beeping warning that the Linear Go control unit gives, I feel better handling that manually.

1 Like

This is an excellent point, and it must be considered by anyone automating the action of a remote door. In my case, my wife and I don’t have kids, and we are really good about keeping things clear of the garage door path. Given that, plus the audible and visual warning from the garage controller itself, we decided that the risk was minimal and acceptable. As you demonstrated, that decision is always unique to the situation.

1 Like

Have you changed anything else, like custom device handlers, because it doesn’t work out of the box like that.

The simulated momentary switch is sort of custom, I guess, since you have to create it in the IDE. Other than that one step, though, nothing is custom.

I just installed the Linear garage door opener and it works great with Smartthings hub. When I try to find the garage door opener with my Google Home to open the door via Google Home, the opener isn’t present in the setup. Is there any way to get the opener to work via Google home. I’m not a programmer and not familiar with electronics so a step-by-step explanation would be helpful

You need to use IFTTT and setup the smartthings service and google assistent service. From there, you can create an applet to close the garage door via voice command or routine etc.

You can also create a virtual switch and link it to your garage door, there are instructions on how to do that as well. I did not setup my garage door up to be opened via voice command (using a virtual switch). It can only be closed by invoking a routine from google home.

The step by step would take too long.

https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/login/auth

Or make a virtual switch and use core to open/close the garage door. You would use the command Turn on/Turn off instead of open/close.

Always hacks on this platform :slightly_frowning_face: I recently toyed around with Google Home to see what could be done (I just have a phone) and it’s a joke compared to HomeKit/HomeBridge it seems. Why can’t I ask google about the status of the doors at least?

This Trump style argument that some guy in a ski mask might open the garage door is nonsense. Google Home is excellent at recognizing user’s voices (trained) and GH “skills” can be configured to execute command by specific users. Furthermore, there are other ways to authenticate persons issuing voice commands, for example including a passcode as part of the command.