Gentle Wake up Smart App

Oh, good. I’m thinking it was a platform issue that may have been resolved. Let me know how it goes.

So last week most days worked. This morning not working again. Just had a look in the dev env and it states Prev Run time 2016-01-10 6:16:27 AM GMT Next Run Time 2016-01-10 6:16:28 AM GMT
Hmm unless my hub has a flux capacitor and can get to 88 MPH it’s never going to hit the next run time trigger.

Yes, that is a broken schedule. When that happens you have no choice but to refresh the schedule by going into the app and hitting Done. Not clear why these things break, but they do. And that is the first level fix. If THAT doesn’t fix it, then you delete the app instance completely and redo it.

Had a feeling that was it. Same old issue then :smile:
I will re edit and see what happens…

Once you hit Done, you can see the new schedule in the IDE to confirm.

I can’t setup completed actions. The minute I do anything in that section the app crashes on my iPhone. I’m running 9.2.1 on an iPhone 6 if that helps.

Thanks

@steve_vlaminck is there a git hub for your App?

Do you have any specific plans? I don’t really have any bandwidth right now to help you, but I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.

@steve_vlaminck I have been using your code almost since day one. It has always worked perfectly. I use it at my bedside with @MichaelS Talking Alarm Clock… Both make a great way to wake up in the morning… Once again proving how much we need and should appreciate our awesome Developers!!!. Thank you both

Sincerely,

Dawn

2 Likes

Thank you. :blush:
I’ve put a lot of time and effort into this app. I’m happy that people other than me use it :thumbsup:

1 Like

Hi Steve. one thing i would love to see added is the ability to set a colour for wake up. I use it in both directions so at night it gently fades down my hue and auto colour change is on which is really nice however with auto colour on for the morning it always ends up green which is weird. If i leave the auto colour change switched off it fades up with the same colour as was last sent. I would love to be able to set it to say a warm white by default for the fade up.
I do love it and so does my wife :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to stop this running when there is no presence in the house? Just can’t find a way.

Paging @steve_vlaminck :smiley:
A couple of thoughts to do with the way brightness works in Gentle Wake Up. I’m running it attached to a single Lightify RGB bulb as a reminder to shift my lazy rear out of bed…

1. When the light comes on, it does so very briefly at the level it was turned off at, before dimming down to next-to-zero-percent cool blue as per my wishes. Is there any way round this short of having a go to sleep routine that dims it down to next-to-zero-percent cool blue before turning it off? I have a vague memory this has been asked before.
  2. The response curve of the Lightify does seem to get through a lot of its brightness pretty early on in the half hour ramp up I give it - would it be possible to have an option of a non-linear ramp up that hits the midpoint around 2/3-3/4 the way through?

First of all, sorry to everyone that asked me questions months ago. I don’t check in here unless I’m called out like TheMillHouse did.

@HughB, I would like to allow specifying your own colors, but the capabilities of SmartApp configuration are too limited. I have some thoughts on how I could do it, but haven’t spent the time to try it, yet. As for setting a specific color when it starts, you could try setting up a rule using the Smart Lights SmartApp. You can set it to Turn on and set color when Gentle Wake Up starts. The downside is that Smart Lights only allows you to set 10% intervals. So it would jump to 10% right away. It’s something to try for now. I’m not sure when I’ll get back to adding features to GWU. I’m trying to thin out the features in favor of other SmartApps controlling GWU. That’s why I made the controller device. But this seems like the sort of thing that should be built directly into GWU so let me think about it a bit more and maybe I’ll try it out some night when I have nothing to do.

@Behold81, yes. If you have a SmartApp set up to take actions when you leave, you can turn off Gentle Wake Up like a switch. You might want to turn off the individual lights, too, because I don’t think stopping GWU will automatically turn your lights off. A good example of this would be the Goodbye Routine. That’s what I do anyway.

@TheMillHouse, for your 1st question, I haven’t experienced this, but I have heard that the Lightify bulbs are weird. I’ll see if our QA lab has one that I can test with to see if I can reproduce what you’re seeing. The 2nd is a really interesting idea. Let me think about how to handle different curves in a reasonable way that can also be conveyed during the setup process. I’ll get back to you on these.

2 Likes

It was more when I’m away for 3 days to turn it off.

But you have set this up in modes now I think. My issue at the moment is the code errors saving a routing in GWU. Has this be resolved?

I have no git intergration to auto update.

I think I learned that one last time. Don’t abuse it, though - Steve’s a very nice but busy man :smiley:

If I can be of assistance, let me know.

@Behold81, are you running your own custom version of GWU? You shouldn’t need git integration if you’re using the version that is published to the marketplace. Instances that have been installed from the marketplace should update for you automatically. As for turning it off after 3 days, I have a vacation mode that I put my house into, and then have GWU set to never run in vacation mode.

@TheMillHouse, it looks like the lightify DeviceTypeHandler checks if the bulb is in an off state and then sends the on command before sending the setLevel command. So the quick flash is actually outside of GWU’s control. I (or you if you’re up for it) can probably make a PR to change that. Doing that work and getting it out there will take some time, though. What I, personally, do is I have a separate GWU instance that dims my lights down when I execute my Goodnight routine. If you did something similar, your light would automatically be at 1% when it turned on in the morning. Even if you set it to run for 1 minute and then executed it manually instead of hitting the physical switch. If you do set it for 1 minute, remember that it’s not a supported amount of time and may act funny for a minute. By which I mean it’s not likely to dim at a constant rate. It won’t go into any sort of disco mode or anything ;).

I’m using @Sticks18’s Improved Zigbee Hue Bulb MA driver - I can probably patch it but I;d be interested in his comments.

That DTH does not send an “on” command from the setLevel() command under any circumstance, so that wouldn’t be it. It’s probably due to the way ZigBee handles level commands in conjunction with on/off.

Basically the “level” command in ZigBee transitions from the “current” level to the new level (and in the custom DTH it uses a nice slow transitionTime). The issue comes up because when you turn the bulb “off”, it actually retains the “current” level. That’s how it’s able to return to that “current” level when you use the “on” command. So when you send a “level” command to an off bulb it tries to transition from “current” level to the new target level, which is why it pops on immediately to “current”.

Best solution is to add the below line of code to the DTH at around line 488 (just move the rest down one line to add it). If the bulb is “off” this command will be added and it will immediately transition the level to 0, so that it should transition from 0 up to your target as intended.

cmds << "st cmd 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 1 8 0 {00 0000}"