GE Wall Switches and IFTTT

So I recently purchased GE Wall Switches. I wanted to confirm if I can set up what im planning to do. I want to set up an IFTTT that turns on the lights in the room if motion is detected, I know I will need to purchase a motion detector also. This is fairly easy but I want to confirm that GE can be part of an IFTTT with a motion detector.

Sure as long as The motion sensor has an IFTTT service/channel.

That said, most people would just get a motion sensor which can talk directly to the smartthings hub, as that way you donā€™t need IFT TT at all and it will trigger the light somewhat more quickly.

But if you already have a motion sensor that you want to use that is not compatible with SmartThings but does have and IFTTT channel, such as a D-Link motion sensor, then you just access The GES which is through the SmartThings IFTTT service.

If by chance you used ā€œIFTTTā€ in a sort of generic sense rather than referring specifically to the service at www.ifttt.com , then SmartThings calls those ā€œautomations.ā€ And, yes, you can have a motion sensor trigger a GE switch. You would probably use the official smart lighting feature for this.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205949776-How-to-create-lighting-automations-with-Smart-Lights

Which motion sensor would you recommend?

Different motion sensors have different features, it just depends on what you need for a particular use case. See the discussion in the following thread (this is a clickable link).

Note that one of the advantages of SmartThings is that it is a multiprotocol platform: you can use a zigbee or Wi-Fi or Z wave motion sensor to trigger a Z wave light switch as long as they can both talk to the smartthings hub. :sunglasses: