GE Link light bulb issues

yeah, links are currently junk with smartthings (I have a bunch) - some work completely solid and some drop off like flies - and then I have to reset and re-pair them and often they pair as the original device - its weird. Anyways someone said there was supposed to be a OTA update for them in november…that didn’t happen…so hopefully much sooner - sick of them dropping and flickering for no reason!

Ya I use osram.instead
They r just not reliable.

I sold my wink hub. So many issue with it disconnecting, forgetting devices, inconsistent and losing network connection. It was not ready for prime time. I went back to Vers before I switch to ST v2.

I put my GE links on Hue hub and my problems of dropping bulbs or bulbs not dimming or coming on when they shouldn’t have stopped! Both Wink and ST are terrible!

I only have a couple Link bulbs and have only had them for a couple weeks with no issues so far.

Oh yeah I despise Wink with a passion.

Just switch them off for 15-20 minutes and then turn them back on and they’ll be fine.

That’s great! We are both happy :smile:

I too have issues with GE Link bulbs, I have 3 and only two seem to work consistently. The 3rd ‘rogue’ bulb will not turn off on schedule, but if I manually go to the app and force it off, it will continue the day properly turning on at 10% @sundown, then an hour later 100% and finally back to 10% at midnight, but at sunrise when it’s time to turn off, it just refuses. I’ve uninstalled and re-attached a dozen times, switched bulbs from one lamp to another too. There is no rhyme or reason, never the same bulb, never the same lamp but once it starts (which usually takes a week or so) it’s just that ONE bulb that has issues.

Followed instructions here: FAQ: GE Link Bulbs Dropped Offline

Worked for a few days then stopped working again. The app sees it but cannot control them. Very frustrating. I understand that they aren’t on the list but I have them and unless I was able to swap them with cree’s I cannot replace all of them.

My Quirky GE Link bulbs have been fine for me since install, even with the occasional “whoops I turned it off” from some of the other people in the house. I do wish there was some consistency in this that we could pin down.

1 Like

It’s a firmware issue in the bulbs that GE have acknowledge and are supposedly working on/have a firmware fix.

Unfortunately even if they do, ST cannot currently do OTA ZigBee firmware updates, they might in the future but not at the moment.

So how would we be able to push out the firmware to the bulbs?

Mine will work for a few days and then stop responding to ST. If I remove and re-add them, they work for a while and then stop responding again. It got to be too much trouble to constantly reset and re-add them so I just stopped using them.

On ST? As mentioned, there isn’t a way. Supposedly Wink can but I haven’t bothered to link up my old Wink hub and I haven’t seen any concrete confirmation that GE has released the firmware that fixes the issue.

The 15 minute trick didn’t work either. Sigh

I realise it’s probably different for everyone but the 15 minute trick has been the most successful to me, though when I say 15 minutes I usually turn it off, forget about it and turn it on after a few hours/next day.

I’ve recovered multiple bulbs on the same circuit that way before as well.

That doesn’t work for me. I have just given up hope.

Any other lights work par38 style with ST?

I have a PAR38 GE Link and it linked to the ST hub just fine. I don’t use it anymore since I swapped out the dimmer controlling the can lights with a GE/Jasco Dimmer.

I have a few jasco dimmers and they are more reliable by far. But as you can see in this thread the GE Link lights were once supported in app then they were pulled and they consistently loose connect to the hub.