GE Launches Seriously Cheap Wink Connected Bulb

Dang. Wonder what changed. Do u get any errors in the idea log? What makes it not work?

@cmonroe

I agree. Feel free to use my github as a storage spot if you want. I am just learning zigbee as well, feel like I know about 1% of what I need to know to be good at thisā€¦

There are a lot of great resources around here, @urman and @JohnR have been extremely helpful in helping me understand zigbee.

I think Iā€™ll start a .md on my github with the notes and knowledge I have on zigbee as it relates to ST and let everyone else fill in the gaps. Iā€™m probably wrong on most of my stuff, but somehow it works. Trial and errorā€¦

Here is my wiki on github with my initial findings in zigbee:

Hereā€™s my log, flipping on and off in app and dimming up/down. Bulb stays off the entire time but app reflects changes that it thinks are happening.

10:18:52 AM EDT: debug on()
10:18:50 AM EDT: debug off()
10:18:46 AM EDT: debug on()
10:18:43 AM EDT: debug off()
10:18:41 AM EDT: trace setLevel(99)
10:18:35 AM EDT: debug on()

@Pjtrimble what happens if you go into the custom devicetype and run the simulator on my devicetype and choose the paired bulb?

Do you get an error?

Also, in your device info in the IDE does it show an EndpointId in the data section and fingerprint?

For those of you on the 603 firmware, I was running into the same issues earlier this week. After reaching out to support, I got this message back:

The 11.603 firmware version wouldnā€™t help in this case. What Iā€™ve done is updated your ember (ZigBee) firmware to version 1.5.4 which includes support for direct ZigBee bulb connection.

And now the commands work when set as a ZigBee dimmer.

support upgraded me to 705 firmware this morning. Version 1 and version 2 of patrickā€™s device type work fine for me.

Thanks again!

So that basically confirms it, no way my Control4 device was going to work prior to 1.5.4 zigbee (ember stack).

I am new to using the ST ide, how do I add this?

Please donā€™t take this the wrong way @TattooedNerd33 but there is a search function in here.

This has been answered so many times before.

Wish there was a sticky somewhere on how to add custom devicetypes in the IDE along with custom SmartAppsā€¦

you need IDE access. https://graph.api.smartthings.com/

go into my device types https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

click + New SmartDevice

fill out just name, namespace and author and click create

copy and paste the code from the github

Click the save button

Click the publish button, for me

Then go to your app on your phone, click the + to add a thing, turn on the bulb, it should detect the bulb, name it and viola, you have a zigbee controlled lightbulb.

6 Likes

Yeah I apologize, I just wasnā€™t searching with the right terms. I actually got it all figured out and am now going to be doing a lot more custom editing and learning smartapps and the like. Thanks for the device types, so far dimmer and everything functions perfect!

I went to Home Depot today, like many of you my store said ā€œ5 in Stock.ā€ Having worked in Retail in my younger years, I tried to help the guy out. It looks as though the bulbs were shipped to the stores through FedEx or UPS, and when they arrived they had no ā€œlocationā€ so they ended up in the ā€œNo Locationā€ overstock part of the store. In my store the box had a clear yellow label that said ā€œHome Automation Endcapā€ with a set date of Sep 1st Today! He said that the ā€œendcapā€ is handled by an outside contractor, so that is probably the mixup. I saw it happen all the time when I worked retail, product for a ā€œsetā€ comes in, the store doesnā€™t know what to do with it, and a few days later a guy shows up that knows what to do with it, but we can;t find it.

If your store canā€™t find it, maybe you can tell them what I just said. It was a box of 6 bulbs (despite the on hand being 5) I was able to pick up two and get the Wink Hub for .99. That offer expires on the 3rd, so itā€™s not a bad deal. I have no use for the Hub at this point, but why not grab one when I wanted to get the bulbs?

I too was able to score 4 of these new bulbs at one of our two Home Depot stores in town. The first store tried to locate product, but failed. The second store had an awesome supervisor for the electrical/lighting section of the store. He was able to locate the box of 6 bulbs up high, on a shelf, waiting to be put out on the ā€œHome Automationā€ end cap on Spetember 1st. He grabbed a ladder, brok open the shipping container, and pulled out 4 bulbs for me. Then he walked me over to the Wink end cap, grabbed a coupon and a Wink Hub for me, and took me to a register to see if the hub would ring up for free. Success!!! Best Home Depot experience ever!

I have submitted a case to ST Support to get my ST Hub firmware upgraded to version 705 so I can make use of the dimmer functionality via @pstuart 's custom device type.

This is a great community of enthusiasts! Thank you all!!!

@pstuart - I checked the website on the packaging and noticed that you had a typo in the urlā€¦ drop the ā€œwww.ā€ and you get http://gelinkbulbs.com/ which actually does exist. Hope this helps.

The site went live this morning. I checked. Not much there unfortunately.

Same here. Two stores in town. Nobody could help me. I would of bought 20 if they could produce them for meā€¦ Lol

More inventory is due in to Home Depot stores next week. They are blown away by the demand. Go figure, zigbee controlled lightbulb for $15, who would of thought?

FYI, these things consume about 2W when off and about 12W when on at 100%. Their ramp curve sucks, canā€™t dim below 10%.

So keep it in mind, replacing all your 60W bulbs which consume 0W when off about 21 hours / day and 60W when on 3 hours a day averageā€¦ Do the mathā€¦

Each bulb will consume about 42W / day off and 36W / day on so average daily W is about 78W / bulb / day

Where a 60W bulb 3 hours a day is 180W, it is a savings, but not by much.

Especially if you put them in bulbs that rarely get used, that 48W / bulb / day not in use.

Oh and these things put out a lot of heatā€¦

This isnā€™t a cost savings things for me :smile:

Yeah, me neither, just wanted to do the mathā€¦ I am well over 100 zigbee devices in my house. My 2.4ghz usage is full. Had to move wifi to 5ghz :smile:

1 Like

Not sure how youā€™re measuring this, but I am seeing 11.3 Watts at 100%, and 0.4 Watt in standby. I have measured 2 of my 6 and they are near identical.

Same haha.

blah blah