GE Launches Seriously Cheap Wink Connected Bulb

I hope no one is looking for the bulbs in the southern Minneapolis metro area …

P.S. - I’ve got hubs for sale

Lol. Hoarding. How much are you planning on selling them? Home depot will have a pallets of them in stock in a week or two.

1 Like

9 hubs… Kinda stretches the ‘one per customer’ policy on the promotion. Disappointing.

I figured I could flip the hubs on eBay to pay for the light bulbs. $14.97 isn’t bad, but free sounded better.

I’ll probably try to sell the hubs for around 35-40

Yeah… I have never really understood that with 120v LEDs, but they all seem to generate a lot of heat from the supply side of things.

Wow! I could not think of a more creative way to make 300 bucks then hoarding and flipping wink hubs. But I figured that bragging about it is the biggest part of the reward. Boo-o-o-o-o!!!

1 Like

I picked up four more bulbs today at another home depot where there were actually out and stacked on the Wink end cap. Took some asking but they eventually honored the 99 cent Wink hub - figured why not check it out for 99 cents :smile:

Patrick, the v2 device type is working great. Thanks! I connected one of these right to ST using your device type. I have two others I connected to my Hue bridge. The ones on the Hue bridge seem to dim more smoothly, but the ST-connected one works in all aspects for me.

I leave for like 3 days and you guys are running a muck!

I’m still out of town, but when I land tomorrow I will pick up a bunch and get it in officially, probably by next week.

I have a few ideas and things I can try to get around the state when the bulbs power up. Will look into the dimming and stuff too.

The beauty of an impatient and smart community :wink:

Picked these up yesterday after a complete faff around at 3 Home Depot stores. Showed as in stock but at two of the stores I went to they could not find them anywhere! Finally at the 3rd store with 4 staff members looking (apparently they had had a lot of people asking for them) we found them on the storage racking in the Bathroom supplies section. I promptly bought the lot and got the wink hub for 99c just to play around with.

@Tyler very kindly updated my firmware overnight (Thanks Tyler!) and these now pair as a power outlet in ST and work great. I am suprised at the heat output of them especially compared to the Hue bulbs which run cold (wondering if the Hue Lux will run cool too) but am really pleased.

4 will be run outside in outdoor fixtures so will see how that goes. Will see what the ‘official’ integration brings next week but for now really happy!

Do these bulbs act as Zigbee repeaters? Is there a way to tell if a device is repeating via the IDE (such as ST Motion running off battery vs plugged in)?

Picked 3 up Saturday. They had 10 on shelf and was tempted to get more. Late Sunday had to stop by again and still had 6 or so left. So tempting…but 3 is enough to play with for now.

1 Like

I had already gotten 3 of these bulbs in the last 5 days, my local Home Depot has had them on the wink end cap for over a week now. I had not even thought about them being an acceptable device to get the $0.99 wink hub, so I just stopped by and bought the last 2 Ge link bulbs and got the hub. Now I can sell it and basically get these 2 bulbs for free, awesome!

@pstuart I’ve tried your v2 code and it paired fine but not able to do turn on or off the bulb.

Like someone else mentioned I have the 000.011.00603 (old) version of Firmware.

1 Like

@cali0028 Ask support for latest firmware. Sorry…

That ain’t working’
That’s the way you do it
Get your lightbulbs for nothin’
And your hubs for free

• Dire Straits, 1985

Yes, I’m that old :smile:

5 Likes

Tyler from ST Support updated my hub today with the new Zigbee software as well as the new 705 firmware. He believed the Zigbee software was the critical component to get the GE Link bulbs to work properly. Afterwards, I was able to use @pstuart 's v2 device type code successfully. Thanks Patrick!

Not that old, I am 34, grew up listening to that!

That’s correct. Our 11.705 firmware (which should be going public soon) won’t help you get these bulbs working. You’ll need an update to the ember (ZigBee) firmware which will also be going public soon.

Chat/email us for help.

These are working really well set as a Zigbee Dimmer… set as a smart power outlet they were not sending any log information but changed to the dimmer and work great. They do get really hot though and they say on the bulb not to be used in an enclosed lumiere… I have two outside in carriage lights anyone else using them like that?

Thanks to @pstuart I was able to get my Link Bulbs connected and functioning. Since I was not able to find it anywhere on the net, the method to reset your bulbs is to turn them on for three seconds, then off for three seconds. Do that three times in a row and the bulbs will pulse. After doing the reset they paired just fine with my hub.