SmartThings Community

GE Dimmer - Different Ramp Rate Depending on How Triggered

This is an odd one. I just noticed that if I turn on a fixture that is controlled via a GE dimmer via SmarrTiles then the fixture turns to the set dim level almost instantly. Yet if I use the switch on the wall or the iOS SmartThings app it acts as you would expect - with a noticeable ramp up. Turning off is consistent no matter how it’s triggered.

I am using the stock DTH.

No idea what’s going on, but have you checked the logs to see if the same commands are being sent? Maybe one is using setlevel and the other isn’t.

Thanks. I’ll have a dig a little later.

(Greg) #4

If you decide you want different dim rates for physical on vs app on you can use this guys DTH to change the settings. Unfortunately - set level commands will still be instant on. (I’m working on a CoRE piston(s) to get around this though)
Also - you can change back to the stock DTH afterwards to maintain local processing.

Thank you, yes.

I was just curious about the different behaviors. I thought the only way to change it is to use a different handler which so far I have not done.

I have not studied the logs yet but I’m sure it’s the setlevel that’s doing it. Now I think about it I think, but I am not sure that when my fixtures come on from the Smart Lighting app they do the same thing as via SmartTiles - ie, they have no ramp up. I’m fairly sure Smart Lighting is doing a setlevel.