Garage door opens Unexpectedly

To all who read this. I have forseen this type of a problem and that is why I added a smart outlet in the chain before my garage door opener. The garage door is turned off, for the Away/Stay Home/Night modes. And gets turned on when I or my family is back. There is one drawback. The door takes an extra few seconds to get triggered. However, I get an extra peace of mind.

2 Likes

I have seen this in my house a few times. The router in my house handles everything and when the following happens at the same time i.e. (Netflix, Wifi Thermostat, ST garage door command) happens. There is a delay for the command to come down from the ST cloud to the garage door opener. I walked in and my kid is watching cartoons on netflix, on my streaming box, thermostat is running, door did not open for a minute. Than it opened. Not loosing my mind. I recreated this and it is a fact.

I have the same thing. For me adding a powered motion sensor (the gen 1 model) in the garage got the pickup range to be sufficient enough that thereā€™s only a 0-3 second delay in being able to push the button. Well worth it for the security I get. And Iā€™ve never had an accidental opening - not even one.

2 Likes

Now that is a great idea @zj4x4 !

That is not a lot of loading for one router. At best you are talking about afew Mbps of throughput for what you described. It would be interesting to try and track down your bottle neck. Do you have an older unit or limited internet bandwidth available?

I handled that issue differently. I used wifi to connect my arduino garage controller to ST. It means I had to make a IP bridge, but the extra visibility was worth it and blazing fast speed.

Mine has false opened over the last week twice. Never before in many months since installation, Twice also lately I am miles from home and ST thinks I am home and fires open the doors. I have it set to notify me so I always can handle, but this is an unfortunate turn of events. I use the lfm evolve relay. The myQ garage door, right next to it, never does this. Ony the one directly managed via ST with a zwave relay and not the ST-myQ hub integration.

@johnconstantelo I am relieved to hear that your mimo relay is doing well in you garage setup. Mine is doing well too and wanted to know of other peoples experience with mimo and garage doors. Thank you

these are the only two:
Door Garage Control
2 Car Garage Door (New Door)

Cool. The 2nd one should be seen as that name under Doors & Locks in the Dashboard, but what does the 1st one do that is associated with that?

I have something similar associated with my garage door, but itā€™s called ā€œDoor Open/Closeā€. All that does is let me know itā€™s open/closed state, but not control anything.

Can you look in Doors & Locks for that door and see what you have enabled when you see the list under ā€œWhat do you want to do with your 2 Car Garage Door?ā€?

I have 15x15 Mbps on Verizon FIOS.

This has happened to me a few times while my wife and I are away at work. I have gone throughout the logs, commands sent to ST. I figured it out and if you have IFTTT installed and enabled causes the problem. I have then de authorize IFTTT from connecting to ST and since than problem has ceased.

1 Like

Add another one to the list of garage door opening unexpectedly.

I have the Linear GD00Z and it worked great for a month or so until the sensor wasnā€™t updating the proper status of the door. Took the sensor off the door and waiting to hear back from Linear for a replacement. In the meantime thereā€™s been about three instances over the past week where the door opened on its own. One happened to be at 1am and luckily I was up to catch it. As of today I have removed the opener app from ST and unplugged the Linear hub in the garage to see if it has any effect.

Our Liftmaster opener is only a year old and havenā€™t had any problems up until recently. I just ordered an Ecolink tilt sensor to help me monitor the door status better.

I have no clue if this is all related or what as Iā€™m pretty low on the technical totem pole.

I do not use IFTTT. I plan to in the future but not yet.

This happened to me last night. Garage door opened by itself. Logs say someone pushed the relay which is impossible.
Notified support, but unplugged the relay to preserve WAF. Worried my front door lock would do something similar.

There are certain things that I wonā€™t fully integrate. The garage door is one. Iā€™ll likely put an open/closed sensor on it at some point, but IMO the controls in the car (built into the rear view mirror) and in the house (fob by front door) are a smarter operations paradigm. I can see perhaps setting up a relay to enable closing it remotely, but I canā€™t ever see a need to open it from afarā€¦ nor to schedule its activities.

I had something similar. The LFM-20 just turned on by itself. But in my case it never turned off again. Itā€™s very interesting that yours was on for a full minute. Ordinarily these turn on and then back off within a few seconds.

Donā€™t expect support to come up with anything. This could have been in the cloud or it could have been in your z-wave mesh network or it could have been the LFM-20 itself. You probably will never know which.

My conclusion is that using an LFM-20 on a garage door, irrespective of automations that might fail, is just a bad idea. One failure is all it took for me. I unplugged my LFM-20s and have no plan to go back.

Yes, mine is unplugged for now as well.

I also thought the ā€œonā€ was weird as well. It is a momentary button and has been for 2 years. I always thought those showed ā€œpushedā€. I need to go look at my other momentary buttons to compare.

Iā€™m pretty sure it goes on and then off. In both cases, yours and mine, the logs shows /physical as the source of the on. That seems like an LFM-20 failure. If so, it just has a pretty low failure rate, but high enough to fail as a door control device, where this sort of failure is not tolerable.

You are not alone. I had this problem nearly 2 years ago. LFM-20 would randomly turn on, but not off again. Support claimed someone physically pushed the button on the device. This is impossible as it is installed in the ceiling. This issue was ongoing for most of 2 years and would happen as many as 2 times a day to as little as once a month. No rhyme or reason for it happening. For me this problem cleared up and has not happened for about a year now.
Also note that during the same period I had certain light turning on (never off) expectantly. Again support claimed someone was physically turning them on, which wasnā€™t true either.

1 Like