Galaxy SmartTag not available in automations(Routines)

So with in the SmartThings app you can assign press and held on the GalaxyTag. This you can control pretty much anything you want.
Example

However you can not make a routine with a GalaxyTag press or held as part of the If. I only found this as I was wanting to set a precondition to the press.

My example of this would be
If present sensor == true then
If GalaxyTag press then
Do xyz

However this is not possible. @nayelyz maybe you can shed some light on this.

Hi!

The options available in the automation section depend on the device presentation. I donā€™t know if the configuration for the SmartTag was defined like that or it is an issue.

@SamsungZell, do you have more information on that matter?

1 Like

Hey there! @Jake_Mohl. Thanks for the tag @nayelyz :slight_smile:

Unfortunately at this time, the Galaxy tag is not able to be included in Routine Automations or Scenes. It is able to control devices, and activate Scenes (Not Routine Automations)

The configuration of the Smart Tag does not allow it to be used in Automation Routines, as it is a Bluetooth Connected Device, similar to how you are not able to use Directly Connected Devices in ā€˜if/thenā€™ Routine Automations.

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

That answers the question.

It must be doing something pretty similar given it says you can create a routine and it uses the routines editor to create it.

They do seem to be going to great lengths to make the SmartTag less useful than it could be.

I agree, it definitely decreases the usefulness of the device.

I had a brief refresher with a tag this afternoon.

The tag does have a presentation but it doesnā€™t include anything in the automations section and not a lot in the details view compared to what is there.

The tag.tagButton capability has a tagButton attribute which supports one to three button pushes plus held. I canā€™t immediately think if the triple press is used for anything. There are commands to enable or disable the four values of button push. If you add a routine for pushed or held you will then see tagButton attribute responding to presses in the API. However there is no evidence of activity in the history and Rules donā€™t seem to trigger on changes.

To make these useful. I have them triggering a virtual switch. Then I have a memebers location set to home as a precondition then if virtual switch is on do routine. The after x amount of time the switch will reset itself back to off.

Flow
Button press. Sets virtual switch to on with auto turn off after 30sec

Routine
Members location if at Home(precondition) then
if virtual switch equals on
Do things

2 Likes

This is a smart solution and brings a hell of different options to the tag. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you very much.

I have just got a Galaxy Smarttag 2 to attach to my Nikon camera.

I would like to program the button to open the Snapbridge app on my phone to provide geotag data to the camera, without having to dig out my phone.

I have created a manual routine on my Galaxy S23+ phone to open the app OK, but the ā€œrun routinesā€ option in the Smarttag automation settings is greyed out.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or workarounds please?

This could be done with Tasker assuming your using an android device. There will be a couple of hoops to jump through but it can be done.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I think I was originally confused by some of the ambiguity of words used. For example ā€œroutinesā€ as used in the SmartThings settings for the Samsung SmartTag in SmartThings seem not to be the ā€œroutinesā€ set under modes and routines on my Samsung phone. Same applies to ā€œlocationā€.

I had it in my head that I was entirely within a Samsung world.

I have however, now found my own solution to bridge the Samsung-SmartThings-Samsung gaps and achieve my goal.

For anyone coming to this later, I set the SmartTag button via automation settings (in SmartThings) to send a notification to me when the button is pressed. I set the notification to send the app name ā€œSnapbridgeā€.

I then created a routine (in Modes & Routines on Samsung phone). It was basically If receive notification containing the word ā€œSnapbridgeā€ then open app.

Job done!

1 Like