Fire Sprinkler Alarm Integration

That would be awesome! I am in Irvine.

I will try the Leeo first but if that doesn’t work out, I will surely use your service.

If there is a video or some more detailed instructions, I can probably tackle this project myself but my searches were futile. I am not even sure what the module is called.

What part do I unscrew? My Plummer undid the area in blue. Do I unscrew the area in green?

Thanks again, appreciate all your help.

What I am trying to do is create a SmartApp that will work like this:
If fire bell goes off (wait 2 mins) but Nest Protect doesn’t detect smoke - turn off fire sprinkler valve. I had a dome valve installed on the pipe already.

Would this sensor work? http://amzn.to/2fgphHw

I noticed it was cheaper than the Schlage Z-Wave Plus

You needed to unscrew the green areas. Dont touch the blue bolts or you will get water. Just give me a heads up. I have a couple jobs going on around the Jeffery road/ Irvine Blvd so I am out there every couple days.

And yes that sensor would work as well it has internal connectors.

Give me a second I can take a quick video. I dont have that exact potter model in my warehouse but I have similar type that will give you an idea.

1 Like

Great, I am literally two minutes away in . Will I need any resistors to lower the voltage?

A video would be great! I will try this myself once I receive the sensor on Monday and if I can’t, I will use your service.

Thanks

Also any idea what kind of screwdriver I need to remove the tamper screws? Will order it on Amazon.

I can post close-up pics when I get home.

Thanks

I cant do video so I did pictures.
unscrew green screws

!
hex security bit also called hex tamper.
!
where you run the wires and how sorry for the blur. Reading left to right its NO for normally open. NC for normally closed and COM for common. Almost everything is NO/COM
!
Wires Connect
!
side view
!
closed up

The side of the bell does have 110v Running through it so goto your breaker box and turn off the fire bell so you dont get shocked.
The little plunger you can hold down with your finger takes about 45 seconds to activate.

Hex bit sets look like this https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-16135-Tamper-Resistant/dp/B005MVBCIG you can find a cheaper set at home depot and you can return it when you are done.

1 Like

Thanks, ordered the set from Amazon.

Also, if I turn off the fire bell circuit on my breaker. Will I still be able to test with the Z-Wave Sensor?

Thanks

yes. The bell circuit is just for the bell. That flow switch needs no power all it does is click the metal contacts together to create a closed circuit using a pneumatic timer ran by the flow of the water.

1 Like

Thanks, I have the sensor all wired up and plan to connect it to the flow switch once I receive the hex bits tomorrow.

Here are some pics:

image1image3image2

When I connect the wires together, it reports as closed on SmartThings.

What should the status be once I connect it to the flow switch? Is it normally closed or open?

I will just use core to send me a notification…unless I find a better device handler.

Thanks

If you connect how I showed it would report Open when no water is flowing but once the flow switch activates it would report closed sending the closed signal. If you want it the other way around and it to report Closed when no water connect the wires to the middle and right pin. Not the left pin. This would report closed when no water is flowing and open when water is flowing.

1 Like

I want it on default closed as they are more native apps that can be preformed when something opens.

Is the area in green correct?

Thanks

IMG_2444

Install successful! Thanks so much everyone, especially @halfelite for the assistance.

I did the wiring according to the post above, thus the sensor is normally closed.

However, the install was difficult due the orientation of my flow switch. Had to use a mirror to conduct the install.

Glad you got it all figured out.

1 Like

Thanks!

Any CORE experts?

Can someone please proofread my piston?

If my fire sprinklers engage (“Fire Sprinkler’s Contact Open”) and does not close within 8 minutes.

I want all of my gas/CO2/smoke detectors (Nest Protect) to be refreshed and if neither one of them detect smoke/CO2/gas.

I want to have my Fire Sprinkler Water Valve turn off.

This is something that I can’t test so id someone can look it over…that would be great!!!

Thanks

Just noticed that I put the flow switch cover back on upside down? Is that a problem?

Thanks

no its not a problem.

1 Like

Bumping this back up, as it is very closely related to an installation problem I am trying to solve:

I’m building a new house and it is almost complete. It has a fire riser box with the relays almost exactly as shown above. We have also installed 8 Nest Protect smoke/CO detectors in the house. Here is the issue: local code requires that ALL smoke alarms sound when the fire riser relay switches on (presumably switches to closed).

I spent an hour on the phone with Nest tech support today and they acted like I’m the first person to have this issue, which blows my mind because every new house in CA requries fire sprinklers, AFAIK, and they don’t have a hardwired trigger switch that would make this problem a non-event. Needless to say, they were of absolutely zero help.

I need a way to trigger all of the Nest Protects, but I am just jumping into the home automation world and cannot find a straightforward solution. Any thoughts?

Bueller? Bueller?

The unfortunate happened yesterday…almost exactly one year from the first “minor” leak in the garage (July 5, 2017). Luckily, I was prepared due to the SmartThing’s setup discussed earlier in the thread.

Here is what happened:
I received an alert on my phone “Fire Sprinkler ACTIVATED” and the fire bell went off. I have an open/close contact sensor wired into the flow detector that allows ST integration. (Thanks @halfelite for the instructions)
At this point, I didn’t know if I had an actual fire or not. It was 108 degrees in SoCal yesterday. I didn’t know which room the sprinkler went off either…but then a minute later I received the alert “Water detected by the Casita Bathroom Water Sensor”. I got to the Casita and found the place flooded (no fire). So I then pulled out the SmartThing’s app and turned off the Dome valve and shut off the water supply to my fire sprinklers.
The sprinkler ran for only 3 minutes but that was enough to destroy the entire bedroom (luckily it was on the ground floor)…had I not had SmartThing’s I would have to wait for the fire department to shut off the main water valve.
The fire sprinkler malfunctioned in a strange way…so all of the water was flowing upwards into the ceiling. I have some NodeMCU and 12V power supplies for my gate control project in the ceiling…they still work but I am not sure how wet they got. In the bedroom I have furniture, some ZigBee outlets/motion/door sensors and a UniFi HD, Netgear switch, PoE injector…they all seemed to be working immediately after the flood but I have it all disconnected and out of the room now.
I have no idea who installed the fire sprinklers…this is the second time! I am estimating $20k in damages. Had it been an upstairs room…it would have been a lot worse.