Fire HD 10, ActionTiles, FKB Challenges

I too was looking to use a Fire HD 10 with ActionTiles and found this useful thread. Having set it up last night, I thought an update here might be useful for others trying to do the same.

Having read threads about running scripts to clean up the tablet and then the conversation here about rooting, I was concerned this would all be very difficult. But I found this very helpful blog post by Andrew Cornell, clearly a ST super user though I can’t find him as a user here. @tgauchat has commented positively on the blog though and I thought he might appreciate the update here.

The setup process worked perfectly for me and is essentially (to quote from the blog):

1. Reset Kindle to factory default settings
  2. Connect to WiFi without registering the device with Amazon
  3. Install the Google Play Store (which will replace the Kindle store) & Prerequisites
  4. Install a Custom Launcher, Kiosk Browser & Home Button Hijacker
  5. Configure the kiosk browser [to run an ActionTiles panel]

No scripts, no rooting, pretty easy setup and no problems yet (though less than a day in).

In case of interest, I used the Amazon Show Mode Charging Dock for as a mount for the tablet. I like the cradle with magnetic docking so I can easily remove the tablet when necessary. I replaced a now unused mains powered thermostat on the wall with a USB socket/outlet to power the dock.

3 Likes