Fibaro Z-Wave Motion Sensor

Well that sucks. Has anyone hit up the original code writer to see if they will look at it. I planned on buying more of these but dont want to get something that wont work.

From what I can see this issue is about 2 weeks old and it has caught everyone by surprise as 3.2 is not even documented well on fibaroā€™s home page that I can find. So given the speed ST works at this is still early in the process of fixing (assuming they can get a sample or documentation to work with). I think our best bet is that one of the regulars getā€™s frustrated enough to fix it in their spare time. I have a feeling itā€™s going to be just a couple of lines of code to fix but which lines is anyoneā€™s guess.

Iā€™ve checked other HA forums and everyoneā€™s in the same boat with similar or worse symptoms my guess is itā€™s a new device signature or something similar.

But itā€™s clear all the stocks in the EU are now v3.2 so the old firmware doesnā€™t appear to be an option

However the one thing Iā€™ve learnt is that someone in the ST community knows how to fix it and will when they need to. My hope is that is sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Hi @CyrilPeponnet - Any chance you have an idea what might need to be fixed to make this work as you appear to be our local guru.

New 3.2 manual

Just hoping you can help

This is the reply I got from fibaro support

Piotr Wardęcki01 Mar 16

Hello,

It could be that the new Fibaro Motion sensor may not be operated by Smartthings. It is now based on z-wave plus technology.

Please double check with Smartthings for some solution.

Sorry for inconvenience

Smarthings should be z-wave plus compatible

ST is definitely Z-Wave Plus compatible!

Given that other users on other platforms are having similar issues, I would say that Fibaro have messed with the configuration slightly, meaning that new device handlers will need to be written.

No doubt their own HomeCentre devices will have the new implementation already.

This blows, I have waited a couple of months to get 2 of these and finally got them yesterday - as soon as I added the device I thought uhā€¦ohā€¦

:frowning:

I may well have to send these back and get a refund which is a shame as they are great little sensors.

Iā€™ve been put on the waiting list for the new ones. The new ones are coming out with the 500 series chip in them. Not sure what the version number will be. If Iā€™m spending that much money I want the newest model. The guys over at www.zwaveoutlet.com said Fibaro told them they should have them in about 10 days.

You probably already know this, but for those who donā€™t, the 500 series chip is the same as zwave plus. So that means significantly longer range and enhanced battery life vs classic Zwave. :sunglasses:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1514

@jeffssmarthome

My money is on you getting your sensors before we have a working device type for the new firmware

editā€¦I would have lost my bet :hushed:

I have had a look at the manual, i can see why its not working, this is down to association groups, the existing officially supported device type uses Association Group 1 & 3, however the new device uses association groups 1 - 5 and 2 - 5 are by default using secure encapsulation which none of the device types have implemented.

you could try setting parameter 18ā€™s value to 0 from 15 which would should allow the tamper/vibration to start reporting. if someone with the new device could test this and prove my theory, i reckon i could write a device type very quickly.

could someone also confirm the new devices zwave fingerprint please?

1 Like

Ok, iā€™ve bitten the bullet and modified the original Device Type for one of you to test with, all you need to do is add a new device type from the code below and change your v3.2 sensor to use this new device type. The next step is important. you need to go into the device in your app and hit the configure tile, this will associate with all the groups ( can maybe look at toning this down to only groups 1 - 3, rather than all 1 - 5 later.)

I am writing this blind, with only the into from the manual. but please if someone would like to be my guinea pig i reckon we can get this up and running quickly.

just report back what you see working/ not working with this device type

2 Likes

Itching to try thisā€¦ unfortunately I donā€™t have a device to do it with at the moment. I have a new phone out for delivery right now. If nobody else tries this by the time I get my hands on it, itā€™ll be the first thing I do.

I have the new device and was ready to test, but IĀ“ve lost my developer access in IDE. When I hit add developer access again I get ā€œDeveloper access grantedā€ but none of the developer options are available. Anyone had similar problems?

Nope, I have the developer interface, Iā€™ve put the device type in and changed it.

Iā€™ve looked at the event log and itā€™s not detecting motion, but I donā€™t have a device to hit ā€˜Configureā€™ on!

if you install the device handler on the device there is a configure button in the device handler.

it should look like below, just click the configure button (Circled in Red) to do the association

edit reading on, do you mean you donā€™t have a phone to do this on? it can be done from the IDE from where the simulator is shown, just choose your location and choose the device and hit install, then hit configure.

Also just worth pointing out as i missed stating it, you need to put the device in inclusion mode (Triple Tap button) just prior to hitting configure, this ensure the device is listening for the configure commands

if you still arenā€™t getting anything (although you should see something in the log if it is on the correct association group), please can someone give me the device fingerprint from the inclusion event from the hub?

Youā€™re correct, the screen on my Nexus gave up the ghost this week and Iā€™m waiting for a replacement right now (come on postie!)

Embarrassingly, I canā€™t figure out simulations in the IDE. I canā€™t find any buttons or links that seem to be anything to do with simulation. Where should I be looking?

NVM - found it! :confounded:

OK Updated the device type,
hit configure
IDE registers configure command.

No Change on Device on phone

Iā€™m not seeing the sensor show configured as true using any of the device types

Ok, in the simulator I get a fairly blank interface with a cog. If I click it it says ā€œNo detail tiles definedā€.

I do have a configure button though, and have given the sensor a triple tap/clicked configure and things seemed to happen, which is good.

When I left the sensor for a couple of minutes and ran my hand over it, the following appeared in the log window:

e8e0328b-a3d8-4903-a7ee-1b7f27e89df8 ā€Ž11ā€Ž:ā€Ž40ā€Ž:ā€Ž41: debug Parse returned [[isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Fibaro Motion Detector]] 

e8e0328b-a3d8-4903-a7ee-1b7f27e89df8 ā€Ž11ā€Ž:ā€Ž40ā€Ž:ā€Ž41: debug Catchall reached for cmd: NotificationReport(event: 3, eventParameter: [], eventParametersLength: 0, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 7, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)} 

e8e0328b-a3d8-4903-a7ee-1b7f27e89df8 ā€Ž11ā€Ž:ā€Ž40ā€Ž:ā€Ž41: debug encapsulated: NotificationReport(event: 3, eventParameter: [], eventParametersLength: 0, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 7, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0) 

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s good or notā€¦ I donā€™t have any tiles so I canā€™t see with the laymanā€™s interface whether the motion detection is working or not.

Unfortunately Iā€™m running remotely so I canā€™t press the configure button on the sensors if that were to make a difference