SmartThings Community

Fibaro Dimmer switch plate

fibaro
(David Thomas) #1

Hi,

I have a problem in my household in that with smart bulbs installed someone is always switching them off via the standard wall switch. So, I’ve also purchased a Fibaro dimmer module to install but I’m wondering now if there’s a switch/face plate to use in conjunction which can control the lights as if a standard switch is installed, but doesn’t necessarily turn off the Fibaro unit, so it’s always l’ve and can accept commands.

Does anyone know if such a solution exists, or if anyone has a different solution please let me know! Thanks in advance.

(Simon) #2

The Fibaro dimmer is intended to be used with a standard switch plate. Either a toggle switch or a momentary one. You install the Fibaro Dimmer between your existing switch and the lighting circuit.

1 Like
(FIBARO) #3

Case Notification for #170793
[SmartThings Community] [Devices & Integrations/Connected Things] Fibaro Dimmer switch plate
Dear customer,
Thank you for submitting your request. We will respond to every request as soon as possible. To provide the fastest and most complete support, please be sure you sent us all necessary details of your query. If not, feel free to answer to this email and provide the details.

Please take a look at our [ Knowledge Base](http://manuals.fibaro.com/knowledge-base/)                                          , where you can find out, how to set up FIBARO system and where you can find Use Cases, Tutorials and answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Need a manual? Go to [ Manuals](http://www.manuals.fibaro.com)                                          .

**Personal Data Processor**
                                      The administrator of your personal data is Fibar Group S.A. based in Poznań, Poland. The administrator appointed a Data Protection Officer supervising the correctness of personal data processing. You can contact him at dpo@fibaro.com.

The purpose of processing data is registration of correspondence and replies, claims and protection against claims.
                                      The full information about data processing is available at https://www.fibaro.com/en/privacy-policy.

Drogi Użytkowniku,
                                      dziękujemy za przesłanie zgłoszenia. Udzielimy odpowiedzi w możliwie najkrótszym czasie.

Aby usprawnić proces obsługi, prosimy o uzupełnienie zgłoszenia o niezbędne szczegóły .

Zachęcamy do zapoznania się z [ Bazą Wiedzy](http://manuals.fibaro.com/knowledge-base/)
                                      , w której znajduje się wiele przydatnych instrukcji.

Jeśli poszukują Państwo instrukcji obsługi, znajdują się one [ tutaj](http://www.manuals.fibaro.com)                                          .

**Przetwarzanie danych osobowych**

Administratorem Państwa danych osobowych jest Fibar Group S.A. z siedzibą w Poznaniu. Administrator wyznaczył Inspektora Ochrony Danych nadzorującego prawidłowość przetwarzania danych osobowych. Mogą się Państwo z nim skontaktować, pisząc na adres poczty elektronicznej: dpo@fibaro.com.

Celem przetwarzania danych jest rejestracja korespondencji i udzielenie odpowiedzi oraz dochodzenie roszczeń i ochrona przed roszczeniami.

Pełna treść obowiązku informacyjnego dostępna jest pod adresem https://www.fibaro.com/pl/privacy-policy.

This message was send by Fibaro Technical Support.

Case #170793

[[f42b52a86cdd3db89970c160cf6f98c43af06a97-1406505789]]

(David Thomas) #4

Yeah that’s how I was planning to install, but that won’t stop other people from manually turning off the switch and I’m left with the same problem as when using smart bulbs… Maybe I need to look for a solution elsewhere. Thanks

(Simon) #5

Maybe crossed purposes here.

The idea of the Module is to automate existing lights using standard bulbs. To anyone not using a smart app the light operation is as it was before. You can use either the existing switch or smart app to turn on/off the bulb. Turn on via switch, off via app or vice versa.

(David Thomas) #6

So to be clear, my understanding is that with the wall switch in the off position then I can’t talk to the Fibaro unit via app/voice to turn the lights on. Is that correct?

(Simon) #7

Yes you can.

2 Likes
(David Thomas) #8

Mind blown, OK so it doesn’t matter which position the wall switch is in, I can still send commands to the Fibaro dimmer! Problem solved then, thanks! :smile:

(Bryan) #9

I understand your issue, but smart bulbs really shouldn’t be used on a switched circuit, or at least a switched circuit where the switch is functional. The typical solution is to put a cover or other device on the switch to keep it from being used.

I understand that you are trying to accomplish the best of both worlds, but conventional wisdom says that switching smart bulbs will shorten their lifespan, as they are not designed to be constantly turned on and off.

You’d be better off using a smart switch with non-smart bulbs. That way you can still control the lights via ST and others can turn the lights on and off using the switch.

1 Like
(David Thomas) #10

Thanks for replying. I’m not trying to use smart bulbs and switches at the same time. My query is if you can/how to use the Fibaro Dimmer unit when the wall switch is in the ‘off’ position. Looks like from siwilson’s reply you can :slight_smile: Cheers

1 Like

Yes, the wall switch will work differently when used with a Fibaro. instead of the switch actually cutting the current, the wall switch will just be sending a little pulse to the Fibaro, which controls whether the current flow to the light fixture is open or closed.

So the Fibaro itself will always be powered on and can always hear the next network command, no matter what position the wall switch is in.

A lot of people like to change to a momentary wall switch because it does make some people crazy if the conventional switch is physically in the off position but the lights are on. But that’s up to you.

There are a lot of dumb three way switches in old houses that work the same way: sometimes you flip the switch up to turn on the light and sometimes you flip the switch down to turn on the light, depending on the physical position of the other light switch in the three-way. Most people get used to it. :sunglasses:

(David Thomas) #12

This forum is great, I’ve learnt a lot just this afternoon :smile: Tanks for the clear advice, I’ll be installing this asap tonight!

1 Like
(FIBARO) #13

[SmartThings Community] [Devices & Integrations/Connected Things] Fibaro Dimmer switch plate

Agent: Jakub Boch
Jakub Boch
17 May 19
Hello David,

At this moment there is no dedicated “switch/face plate” to our Dimmer 2 so please use standard wall switches, at this moment we are working an such solution, but now I can’t provide you with any specific dates, I kindly ask you for patience in this matter,

Stopka mailowa
Pozdrawiam/Kind regards,
Jakub Boch
Tech Support
support@fibaro.com
+48 618 801 000
+44 845 154 2852
+33 970 733 545

Fibar Group S.A.
HQ: ul. Lotnicza 1, 60-421 Poznan / OFFICE: ul. Serdeczna 3, 62-081 Wysogotowo
TAX no.: PL7811858097 / BDO no.: 000008175
REGON/Polish National Business Reg, no.: 301595664 / Share capital: 1 182 100 PLN
KRS (reg. no): 0000553265, Regional Court of Poznan Nowe Miasto and Wilda in Poznan,

VIII Commercial Division of the National Court Register

SmartThings Community
15 May 19

Hi,

I have a problem in my household in that with smart bulbs installed someone is always switching them off via the standard wall switch. So, I’ve also purchased a Fibaro dimmer module to install but I’m wondering now if there’s a switch/face plate to use in conjunction which can control the lights as if a standard switch is installed, but doesn’t necessarily turn off the Fibaro unit, so it’s always l’ve and can accept commands.

Does anyone know if such a solution exists, or if anyone has a different solution please let me know! Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Although this reply says to use “standard” wall switches, in fact, there are many different types that can be used. Quite a few community members preferred to get a “retractive” or “momentary” Dumb switch to use with inwall micros like the Fibaros. These are inexpensive, widely available, and come in many different Colours and finishes. And you never have to worry about the switch position, since the switch always returns to the neutral position after use.

I just mention them because not everyone would consider those a “standard“ wall switch, but they work very well. :sunglasses:

Varilight is a popular brand and Screwfix.com is a popular UK retailer, but there are many choices. Schneider also has a number of models, although they tend to cost a little more. Check the specifications as well: the Schneider usually support up to 16 A well many of the others only support 10 A. That’s not usually a problem with lighting, but it’s something to be aware of.

See the following discussion threads: ( The topic title is a clickable link)

@RobinWinbourne has now done two complete houses with Fibaro kit and may be able to add more. Here’s one of his posts comparing different momentary switches. Remember that the switch itself is dumb, it’s the Fibaro inside the wall which adds the intelligence. :sunglasses:

(David Thomas) #15

So I’ve got to installing the Fibaro dimmer and I’m faced with this… not sure where the second red (common?) wire should be included?

(Simon) #16

Looks a little odd. Which switch does what there?

1 Like
(FIBARO) #17

Agent: Jakub Boch
Jakub Boch
20 May 19
Thank you for this email.

We are analyzing every new feature and we implement in order of receiving them.
Usually improvements are added once a while, sometimes even couple of months from receiving them, so please be patient.
Such feedback is priceless for us, thanks to them we know what kind of functionalities are required bu our Customers.

Stopka mailowa
Pozdrawiam/Kind regards,
Jakub Boch
Tech Support
support@fibaro.com
+48 618 801 000
+44 845 154 2852
+33 970 733 545

Fibar Group S.A.
HQ: ul. Lotnicza 1, 60-421 Poznan / OFFICE: ul. Serdeczna 3, 62-081 Wysogotowo
TAX no.: PL7811858097 / BDO no.: 000008175
REGON/Polish National Business Reg, no.: 301595664 / Share capital: 1 182 100 PLN
KRS (reg. no): 0000553265, Regional Court of Poznan Nowe Miasto and Wilda in Poznan,

VIII Commercial Division of the National Court Register

SmartThings Community
17 May 19
Although this reply says to use “standard” wall switches, in fact, there are many different types that can be used. Quite a few community members preferred to get a “retractive” or “momentary” Dumb switch to use with inwall micros like the Fibaros. These are inexpensive, widely available, and come in many different Colours and finishes. And you never have to worry about the switch position, since the switch always returns to the neutral position after use.

I just mention them because not everyone would consider those a “standard“ wall switch, but they work very well. :sunglasses:

Varilight is a popular brand and Screwfix.com is a popular UK retailer, but there are many choices. Schneider also has a number of models, although they tend to cost a little more. Check the specifications as well: the Schneider usually support up to 16 A well many of the others only support 10 A. That’s not usually a problem with lighting, but it’s something to be aware of.

See the following discussion threads: ( The topic title is a clickable link)

@RobinWinbourne has now done two complete houses with Fibaro kit and may be able to add more. Here’s one of his posts comparing different momentary switches. Remember that the switch itself is dumb, it’s the Fibaro inside the wall which adds the intelligence. :sunglasses: