Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

Yes,best swap the fittings to GU10 as GU10 cables are only about 50p each, and then the bulbs are cheaper and avoids the need for a transformer. Only downside is a bit of digging in the ceiling, but is exactly what I did earlier this year.

Getting thereā€¦!
So after a very long time I managed to get to the bottom of the 12 wires behind the light switch(before adding the 212 !) and now have the 212 working (I thinkā€¦) in that
-the roller blind switches (2 way) switch on and off, and dim/brighten
-the app switches on/off and dims/brightens.
I was using a samsung power outlet in the smartlighting app,namely a motion sensor switches the power outlet on. In the smartapp I have swapped the power outlet for the 212, but this does not seem to power on/off on the 212.
Am I missing a step somewhere, or do I need to change a parameter?

Editā€¦well, I thinkā€¦ 2 hours after setting it up it might suddenly be working without my doing anymore.
Lets see !

What switches do you guys recommend for these?

I want to get nice dimmer switches that arenā€™t too expensive but look nice.

I just installed my 212 in the UK. And I added the following device handler in my IDE: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/tree/master/devices/fibaro-dimmer-2

However, it seems that with this device handler the actual control of the lights isnā€™t working. If I remove the above device handler from IDE and then add the 212 again it gets detected as a Z-Wave Multi Channel device. With this default handler I am able to actually control the lighting but the labels of on and off status donā€™t change.

Is there something wrong with the above device handler? is it not compatible in EU?

I had the same problem yesterday with that handler from Codesaur, i wasted hours trying to get it to work, excluding re-adding, i kept getting an error in the live logging something like ā€œnull pointer errorā€ anyway this one works fineā€¦

it only shows 99% max on the ST tile which is annoying, hence why i was trying to persevere with Codesaurā€™s one, and you may have to edit the code to make ST tile blue instead of green.

1 Like

Awesome thanks, I will try that this evening.

Alwas, is there any specific settings that need to be set for this handler?

Of the 60 odd parameters the only ones i didnā€™t use as default were 20 i set to 1 for a toggle switch, 32 i changed to 0, and 34 to 0.
itā€™s important you calibrate the dimmer before you include it into SmartThings, and delete any redundant device handlers from the IDE so it doesnā€™t get messed up.

1 Like

Thanks Alwas, will try that this evening.

I have a couple of questions for some Fibaro Masters out there, maybe @anon36505037 can help.
I want to setup another 10w bulb with the Dimmer 2, but I have no space at the light fitting to place the Bypass 2 this time.
So, can I wire the Bypass DIRECTLY into the Dimmer 2 module, as I have space in the box, looking at the diagram on Vesternet it should accomplish the same thing no?
And/or is the Bypass absolutely imperative if I have a Neutral to feed the Dimmer module? Some say yes others no.

You can use any momentary (press to make) switch. Press to switch on and off, hold to dim.
Thereā€™s a good selection discussed in this thread

Iā€™m not aware of any rotary dimmer controls that are fibaro friendly - thatā€™s not how theyā€™re designed to work

1 Like

@Alwas I installed that device handler by copying and pasting it. I then re-added the device. It works now. However, when I click on the Cog/Gear icon to make changes to name or icon or any of the 60 parameters, there are a few that are not set so it gives me a message saying ā€œPlease fill out all required fieldsā€ Iā€™ve gone through all the parameters and they are all set but it still is not letting me save it, still gives me the error please fill out all required fields. Because of this I cannot change any parameters. Any ideas what is wrong?

Yes, itā€™s an android bug, the first time you set the parameters you need to do it in the IDE first, save there, then afterwards the android parameter settings should work.

Thanks. I managed to do it through IDE. However, my toggle switch doesnā€™t seem to be switching the light off. If I press it twice then it dims but doesnā€™t turn off like how it does if I turn it off through the st app.

@anon36505037 thanks. I did set parameter 20 to 1 in the IDE. Do i need to do anything to make the 212 sync this setting?

Thanks @anon36505037 I will try that tomorrow. What are the advantages of the refractive switches compared to the toggle? One of the areas where I want to install the dimmer 2 currently has a 2g switch that controls 2 lights and I want to apply the dimmer to one of those switches only but seeing as I cannot have one retractive and one toggle I can only do a toggle switch or install 2 dimmers to control both lights

Thanks @anon36505037 so each fibaro dimmer can have itā€™s own set of parameters Correct? Because I may have 1 with toggle and another with retractive switch.

Also if Iā€™ve setup a fibaro on letā€™s say a test lamp using 3 wire setup and now I want to take that dimmer and install it in the real environment which is the bedroom that has a different light fixing with higher wattage and also want to install it with 2 wire method. Do I need to force the dimmer to re-calibrate? And if so how do I force a re-calibration

@anon36505037 youā€™re making this addiction worse! so if i want to attach another toggle switch to the dimmer i use S2 and Sx i think. and how can i use this S2 toggle switch to activate other devices? i changed parameter 28 to 1, is there anything that needs to be changed? And is it possible to use WebCore to register a button press of S2 to trigger another device? something simple and intuitive? or do you have to create a virtual switch?

Wow that is seriously cool Robin, now I finally have a physical switch for my outside Aeotec colour bulb! I looked at the live logging to see scenes 20 and 21 were being activated, did a Piston to toggle the bulb, do you by any chance have an example piston for this scenario, so I donā€™t have to do two webCoRE pistons? I donā€™t see the ā€œif scene is either one of 20 or 21 thenā€¦ā€

Woah. You may have just solved my living room dilemma!

So I can have one fibaro dimmer controlling load to gu10s, and a secondary switch on S2 reporting back to Smartthings and controlling the Lifx bulb in the central fitting?

(Itā€™s the one room I canā€™t easily rewire a Neutral at the switch)