Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

Hello #rmbhatia,
How to pair your device ?
I bought Fibaro Dimmer2 FGD-212 EU v3.4 and fail to pair with Smartthings Hub v2 UK - Firmware Version 000.016.00009.
My Hub does not find any device …

Add the device handler first just to be sure as that seemed to help me pair it, though in principle it should still appear as a ‘Standard Dimmer’ or something like that without the DH installed.

Hi guys - new Smartthings user here :). New to the world of device handlers, smart apps and what not. However, I think I’m slowly getting the grip on things. However, I’m running into an issue with my dimmers… And I feel I’m outmatched so maybe you guys can come to the rescue!

I’m trying to pair my already existing Fibaro Dimmer 2 unites that I’ve hooked up to a traditional 2-wire system without a neutral. I’ve used the official Fibaro video which has worked for me with a different Zwave controller. The pairing bit works perfect, the adding the device handler via IDE works and I can even brilliantly control the dimmer through both the app and Alexa. However, I need to move the hardware light switch UP AND DOWN to switch the light either off or on. The girlfriend doesn’t agree :wink:

My other ZWave controller immediately picked up on the right settings after I edited my settings to ‘Toggle switch’ so I thought ‘let’s try out the same’. However, I’m probably doing something wrong as I simply cannot get the switch to behave as toggle switch. I’m by no stretch of imagination an expert on this stuff… I’m really trying to do my best by looking into all forum topics I can find…however…I really don’t seem to be able to get this to work. Hence I need your support. Help!

I’ve configured the parameters as followed:

Parameter 20: Dimmer 2 operation: 1 (toggle)
Parameter 32: On/Off mode: 2 (auto)

I didn’t touch any of the other parameters assuming that they will be automatically populated by the default values from the device handler (is that the right call?)

I’m using the device handler created by @hajar (massive thanks btw!):

FYI: I created the device handler using the feature ‘From code’ within IDE. Hope this is the right way.

From what I have seen, if you were using iOS the first time then it will use the default values correctly, but if using Android then you need to log into the web dashboard and manually populate all of the values for every setting, before the settings are actually saved (i.e. Defaults don’twork). Hence try adding every setting on iOS/web and hopefully that will then save, so that you can update the values to their correct settings (and use Android from this point onwards).

Having just got my first Fibaro 2 dimmer installed and working on a basic 1-way light, I’m looking to buy more for the rest of the house. In particular I want to control several sets of LED spotlights, each of which has two 2 way switches.
However, I may struggle to get the Dimmer into the backboxes so would like to install in the celing/loft space.
The house has only just been rewired as part of a rennovation - so assuming that wiring is UK “standard”. There are neutrals in the switches.

Anyone got the same setup working - or see any obvious problems with this setup:

• Fibaro 212 installed in ceiling
  • Two-Way : 2 linked momentary switches (3 position)
  • 5 LED spotlights (8w x 5) - So probably going to need a bypass

Assuming I can install in ceiling, do I need to identify the first of the 5 spotlights. I assume it can’t go just anywhere in the chain.
Also, I assume only 1 bypass needed per dimmer, as opposed to one per spotlight ?

Thanks

UPDATE 26 Jan:
I read on Vesternet that the 3-position momentary switches need 3 cores between switch and dimmer, so you can only install the dimmer in the ceiling if you have 3 cores between switch and ceiling. Otherwise you can use the basic momentary switches.
So time to dig out the switch pattress box a little deeper and squeeze the dimmer in.

Have any of you on the other side of the pond had any luck setting up Associations with the Fibaro Dimmer 2 without a Fibaro Home Center? I need to establish a virtual 3-way with two Fibaro Dimmer 2 (US) modules. i’ve tried various SmartApps and Rules (Dim with Me, Dim and Dimmer, etc.) but the lag is not acceptable. My setup includes a ST hub and minimote. Each Fibaro is wired according to their instructions using on-off-on switches, configured as RollerBlind in the DH, using S1 and S2 on the Fibaro dimmer. both switches properly control the lights to which they are physically wired. but for the life of me, i cannot establish a direct association. i’ve read every post i can find on virtual 3-ways and the Fibaro dimmer. This should be straightforward but it is kicking my butt! Because this is a US model, i’m using the device handler from @erocm1231 in this thread: [RELEASE] Fibaro Dimmer 2 (US). and i followed @duncan process in this thread using an Accessory switch type: Evolve LTM-5 transmitter to LRM-AS association. no luck.

The Fibaro instructions only provides directions to establish associations using the Fibaro Home Center, which i do not have. and i’ve been unsuccessful in using the minimote to establish the association. When i asked Fibaro tech support for help, they pointed me back to ST.

Fibaro uses association groups 2 and 3 to associate on/off and dimmer functions (respectively) from S1 and groups 4 and 5 to associate on/off and dimmer functions from S2. Both S1 and S2 are required when using an on-off-on switch. The fibaro instructions do not recommend changing association group 1. I need both on/off and dim capabilities on the target switch from the Accessory Switch. Please Help!

Is this what you’re after?

Thanks man! I can confirm this works! Awesome

If you have a neutral then you will not need the Bypass. The Bypass allows the dimmer to draw power a tiny amount of power through the lights without the lights switching on - used in 2-wire setups. If you have a neutral then the Dimmer can just pull power between live and neutral, hence doesnt leave the lights flickering.

As for your setup, that seems ok, though you mention that your two-way switches are 3 position momentary? - Does that mean you have a central-off position, plus up and down clicks where it returns to off? If so that might make your installation more complex, since that would imply you already have a lighting controller converting momentary light presses into toggle power for the lights…

If you just have 2 regular 2 way toggle switches, then in the ceiling you need to have the ‘live’ going to the switches (which you need to disconnect from live and plug into the fibaro), plus switched live back from the switches, plus live and neutral. If you actually do have momentary switches then we will need to know more about how your lights are wired.

Thanks

No, right now its 2 basic 2-way toggle switches - but I’d like to replace them with 3 position momentary so I can dim either one up or down using the Fibaro.

Yeah, I drew up a diagram this morning to get my head around it. I’m no sparky. What threw me is that the ring goes into/through each switch, hence more cables than I expected to see. In addition to the ring in/out, there is 3-core between the two switches plus the 2-core output to the spotlights from the switch. So 4 cables, total of 9 cores (ignoring earth) all for a single gang toggle switch.
Anyway, since its only 2 core from switch to the physical lights, I think I need to put the dimmer in the switch.
I think I’m getting there. Famous last words.

Thanks.

Yup indeed, the main switch is where the dimmer unit would need to go. If Ive got it right this is how you would connect the cables for momentary switches:

And this is how it would look for toggle switches:

P.s. Excuse the terrible sketches, was done on my phone!

Hi John,

Looking at the vesternet diagrams it seems S2 is not available for use as a smart switch if using a 3-position momentary switch with a Dimmer 2. Do you agree?
If so it’s an inducement to buy the more simple (bell push type) momentary switches.

Also to wire your second momentary switch to S2 I presume you need a permanent live feed to the switch and then a connection to S2.

Brian

thank you for the response, but That’s not quite what i’m looking for because there is too long of a lag (about 4 seconds).

the scenario i have is a fibaro dimmer (i’ll call it the accessory dimmer) at the entrance to a room that has no wired connection to the recessed lights i recently added in the ceiling in that room. the lights ARE hardwired to another fibaro dimmer (the target dimmer) in that same room. i need a virtual 3-way set-up between the two dimmers so that when the accessory dimmer is turned on/off or dimmed then the target dimmer also turns on/off or dims. using a smart app (such as “dim or dimmer” or “dim with me” or “smart lighting”), or setting up Rules or IFTTT introduces too much lag. others have solved this problem using direct association between their dimmers/switches, and I’ve read direct association (when one z-wave switch talks directly to another without going thru the hub) is almost instantaneous. unfortunately for me the dimmers/switches they used were not fibaro dimmers, so i can’t find definitive instructions on how to do this in a ST environment. and switching dimmers is not an option… wife doesn’t like the way they look. the Fibaro dimmer gives me the option to use a switch that matches the rest of the house. It looks like Direct Associations are a piece of cake with the Fibaro Home Center hub, but i’m not ready to go buy a different hub, yet.

Thanks, love the diagrams, wouldn’t even try to draw on my phone.
Will try installing in the back box with the 3 position momentary switches (haven’t bought yet) . Fingers crossed. Will report back.

Yes, I’ve successfully used Association Groups with both the Fibaro RGBW and the Fibaro Dimmer 2. My device handler for the Fibaro RGBW has full functionality for setting associations via the GUI, however I haven’t yet ported the same functionality back to my older Fibaro Dimmer 2 device handler (i just wrote some static code where I needed it). All my SmartThings code is here: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings

I don’t have much time for SmartThings-related stuff at the moment, but you are welcome to look at the code for both device handlers and copy the relevant bits back to the Fibaro Dimmer 2 device handler, then you can set association groups from the GUI till your heart’s content.

Yes, that’s a big reason not to use 3 position momentary switches (although you could use up and down as single switches if you wanted to).

Dimming is still pretty intuitive, it’s push and hold to dim then release, push and hold to brighten.

You can just take the permanent live from S1 for the live feed.

Not sure if youre saying that they simply cannot perform as intended with Dimmer2. (up = dim up, down = dim down)
Or that they can work that way but only when installed in backbox.
If its the former, then that’s slightly disappointing.
If its the latter, I’ll get my chisel out.

There is this encouraging info on the Vesternet site:

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-universal-dimmer-2-250w#tabbed-qa

No, not at all. Fibaros work well with 3 position momentary switches with up/down to dim/brighten.

However this means that S2 is used, and then can’t be used for a second ‘smart’ switch.

An example I often cite is my lounge, where I have a double momentary (2 position) switch with one switch connected to S1, and one to S2.

S1 is connected to the main light and has all of the normal functionality.

S2 is not connected to anything, but has a live feed and sends frames which are picked up by ST. These turn the lamp in the corner on/off. So, it looks as if it’s wired into the lamp to a layman. The lamp just has a smart bulb in it.

This is all catered for in the custom device handler.

Hi!

I just installed a Fibaro Dimmer 2 (212) in a three wire set-up on a momentary switch. I have also read through this entire thread without finding a solution to my problem.

After installing it i worked directly of the box with the “Fibaro Dimmer”-device handler that was preselected. On/Off -works flawllessly both on the button and the app. 'but not dimming.

Easy! Just install some of the great custom code and it will solve my problem was my first thought but i cant get it to work. I have made these steps:

1. Copied code from Hajar, Ravji or Codesaur
  2. Pasted it in under “from code” in devicehandler from “create new device handler” --> Create -> Save and publish (for me)
  3. Under the device i selected one of the new handlers.
  4. Try to turn on the lights using the app but nothing happens, Parameter-settings dosent work either.

Im on a IOS-device so i dont think it is the parameters-setting being blank that is the issue? If i switch back to the defalut “Fibaro Dimmer” it works again.

Have i missed any important step? Any suggestion would be appriciated. :slight_smile:

Regardless of which device handler you use, they won’t usually work until you have successfully updated the and saved settings on the appropriate instance of the device. Null or empty values for required settings will usually cause the code to crash, hence you get no response.

Once you’ve set a device instance to use a new handler, you need to go to the device on your smartphone and hit the gear icon in the top right. Update the settings and save.

If you still have problems, I recommend using the Log tab in the IDE, which will usually give you some helpful messages.