Feedback When AC is Running?

I am looking to have a couple of fans run whenever the AC Fan is running. The fans are connected to a smart outlet that can be turned on/off via ST. However, I am looking to create a trigger to turns those outlets on. Is there a way to create a virtual switch that is on when the AC fan is on and off when the AC fan is off? If there is no direct feedback, can you create a virtual switch that turns on/off when the thermostat set point is below the temperature and the mode is set to COOL(ie, the same logic the thermostat uses to run the AC)?

Thanks in Advance

Brand and model of air-conditioner?

Almost certainly you can add some kind of energy monitoring device to the air-conditioner that will be able to tell when it’s drawing power. Alternatively, you might just be able to stick a vibration sensor on it, which is what many people do with washing machines.

As far as knowing about the mode of the air conditioner or the setpoint, that depends on the specific thermostat/air conditioner model as to whether that information is available for use.

A zwave thermostat would be able to tell you when the fan is running or when AC is running via fan state and operating states, respectively. And then you can use webCoRE to automate your other fans…

Honeywell zwave thermostat…

1 Like

I have not tried it but dependent on your thermostat (e.g. Nest with NST Manager App) you may be able to us the change of “operating state” of your thermostat to cooling as a trigger to turn on the outlets using the WebCore SmartApp.

I have a Radio Thermostat CT80 with Z-Wave USNAP (RTZW-01). The display of the thermostat has a little fan spinning when the fan is running, so I assume there’s a bit somewhere that I can get to and expose. Ideas?

Have you seen this thread:

2 Likes

I’ve been reading it for the last 10 minutes. It looks promising. I’m new to doing any sort of customizations, but it looks straightforward.

Do you see any logging on the recent tab for your thermostat like @SBDOBRESCU showed? If so, you won’t need a new device handler.

1 Like

So, I successfully installed and updated my thermostat device type to the enhances zwave thermostat. I have also successfully installed webCoRE. I have no idea to use webCoRE, so I’ve got some reading to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.

As for logging, I do operating states (one for cooling and one for idle). Is this the part where I need webCoRE…ST just don’t have the hooks to trigger off these states?

1 Like

Yup, that is correct. webCoRE is easy once you get the concept down. If op state running, then with your other fans turn on. Head to this thread when you did your homework :smile:

1 Like

Thank you all. webCoRE is easy. For those looking for my final script (piston), see below.

Some definitions:
Dining Room Thermostat = Radio Thermostat CT80 with Z-Wave USNAP (RTZW-01
Master BR Window Fan = Z Wave smart outlet with a fan plugged into it
Space Heter = Z Wave smart outlet with a fan plugged into it

Scope: I have fans placed in front of the floor registers of my upstairs bedrooms. I run them when the air conditioning is on to help draw more of the cold air into those rooms (and it better circulates it in those rooms). Instead of running the fans 24/7, this code turns on the fans when air conditioning kicks on and turns them off 3 minutes after AC turns off. FYI - I find that helps greatly even out the temperature delta between the upstairs and downstairs. What used to be a 10 deg F dela is now 3-5 deg F. When the weather gets cold, I’ll tweak the code to create a Heater assist to help keep the downstairs warm.

Script
//
/* Air Conditioning Assist */
/
/
/* Author : me /
/
Created : 5/19/2017, 2:56:29 PM /
/
Modified : 5/19/2017, 4:05:01 PM /
/
Build : 5 /