[Feature Request] a new tile type "selectTile" or "optionTile"?

I’ve combed through the docs and checked here the best I could, but I’m in the need for having a tile basically bring up a modal box to select an option (same way a <select> would work in HTML).

My custom device type has many inputs, but I don’t want to make a tile for each of those inputs and it’d be really slick if I could tap a tile, have UI come up that shows all of the options, tap that option and have the action fired with the value param of the option.

2 Likes

One way to implement this currently is to use a SmartApp to drive your Device.

The SmartApp preferences / configuration UI is somewhat richer than the Device Type (well … not richer … but different?), and can be used to push new Attribute values to the Device.

Appreciate the work around for sure (although I’ll have to do a bunch of digging I think). I do hope that someone developing the apps/tiles catches wind of this message though, because having a multi-modal button seems like something a lot of devices could take advantage of.

1 Like

Device Type widgets / controls have been pretty much stale since the launch of the platform, with the exception of the new Multi-Attribute Tile.

There’s been talk of allowing embedding of HTML5 / Javascript; but currently “enhanced UI features” are focused in the “Dashboard Solution Modules” (like Smart Home Monitor / SHM), which glue devices and SmartApps together with some API & UI that is not yet published for Community Developers.

Any chance you know of a good example of a smart app that I could look at which has the features you are mentioning? I mean if I don’t have to use the device UI, that’s fine, but from a debugging standpoint I think it’s really fantastic (power toggle, sliders, etc.).

If smart apps can do that and then some, well, I feel like I’ve been wasting precious time :smiley:

Can’t think of one off the top of my head, but will see if I can.

The idea to keep in mind is that I think there is value in using both a Device Type and a SmartApp to maximize the functionality. There are functions and UI that are distinct to each, and so you need to creatively combine the two.