FAQ: Zwave repair not working (how to fix error messages)

It’s not necessarily something that can or needs to be fixed.

Are you having issues with the devices that show this message intermittently? Is it the same set of devices that show this?

1 Like

Because it’s mesh. Not fixed routing. :sunglasses:

If they are battery operated devices, it may just be that they are asleep when the request is sent. That’s really common and not a big deal at all.

If it’s a mains powered device, there are a lot of different things that can cause it. Most of them aren’t important. Somebody using a microwave, some router being busy, or just taking a different route this time.

If your devices are Z wave plus, they will update the network on their own in a week or so.

Otherwise, if everything is working fine, you don’t have to worry about those particular messages.

If the messages are different every time, that’s just a sign that the mesh is working like mesh. It’s when the same device has the same error all the time that you start to suspect that device is bad or a repeater up the line from it is bad.

1 Like

I have never seen these errors for battery powered devices.

I have ONLY seen these on mains powered devices.

Also, I am under the impression that one should run zwave repair a few times, until there are no errors reported. Otherwise, a device potentially does not have an optimal way to talk with other devices or may have intermittant communication problems.

I’ve decided it’s like chasing your tail so I don’t bother anymore. I really have never proved one way or another that a repair has benefitted me or not. Given the very different results for each successive repair I’ve just given up doing them.

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: Zwave Connectivity issue troubleshooting

Thank you!

i have alot of devices that i cannot delete the old route and cannot assign new route, how do i go about fixing this? as the zwave repair utility didn’t repair anything.

my devices are barely responding right now, if at all. I have about 11 or so zwave plugs and 3 zwave switches all with those same errors. if they get fixed ill have decent response time on my devices

so you getting the “could not assign new route“ message on all of your Z wave devices?

What’s the brand and model number of the devices, and most importantly are they Z wave plus or Z wave classic?

In either case, you may need to go ahead and get in touch with support because there are things that they can see from their side that we can’t.

thnks, ive sent them an email. My switches are inovelli red on off switches and neo coolcam zwave plus plugs. all my devices i have on my network are zwave plus

1 Like

I’ve got two errors I’m seeing in my repair that aren’t on this list yet. “Could not delete old routes” and “could not add new routes”. It’s an Aeotec Multi Sensor that’s now battery powered but wondering if maybe because it’s been powered by mains in the past that’d be the issue? Completely guessing.

That’s not the message you’re showing in your screenshot. You got the standard “could not assign new route“ which is discussed at length above.

More important is that you got the message “could not update neighbors.“ That’s what leads to the other messages.

As discussed above, that means that the end device did not report back to the hub, which is almost always a battery powered device which was asleep. Not usually a big deal unless you know you’ve added a new repeater near that battery powered device and you need it to get new routes.

3 Likes

Awesome that worked GREAT! Thanks,

Can anyone help me with that?

I did the repair 5 times. Same devices are there .
I unplugged the hub for 15 minutes replugged then another repair still same devices are getting “failed to update route”

All of my devices were working perfectly until recently these devices are acting REALLY slow and sometimes they do not work

Thanks in advance

Experiencing the same here. Although the status page says everything is ok, I think something is down. I have devices showing Offline, Scenes not working and numerous errors during repair.

Usually this is due to a mesh problem or a router having problems (any mains powered device can act as a router).

I would start by power cycling the extender and see if things improve. Power cycling the hub is unlikely to help in this case.

You can also look at the routes in the IDE and see if these devices have any routers in common.

1 Like

Those are the routes. Nothing is going through the aeotex extender for some reason. Although it’s in between :frowning:

For what it’s worth, I have three Aeotec Range Extender 6. They are in in my box of unused devices.

My Z-wave mesh is 100% mains powered Z-wave Plus devices.

There was a point when I was first installing devices that I thought the Range Extenders were being useful. Then I read their manual and saw they should flash the LED each time they relayed a message. Never, ever saw that.

I was also getting Z-wave repair errors. I unplugged all the Range Extenders.

If your devices are working, and are finding a route to the hub, I suggest removing the Range Extender.

1 Like

I would. But they the devices that having the issue are very slow and I guess if they went through the extender the issue would be solved. If only I could do it so myself

You can’t control the routing in a Z-wave mesh. And there’s not one static route between devices so what you’re seeing in the IDE is a little misleading.

I used to stress over routing because the IDE was showing devices crisscrossing the house. I’ve learned to just let it be.

In place of the Aeotec, try adding some other mains powered device. The obvious choice would be a plug-in Z-wave socket.