FAQ: Please explain Repair Z Wave Network

When you do a general exclusion, the hub doesn’t care who hears it. It’s just a general broadcast to every device in the vicinity. That’s why the hub doesn’t have to know yet that that device exists. It doesn’t have to be part of the network yet.

The human will do the physical manipulation of the end device, in this case the switch, so that it will accept the “Clear fields” Broadcast as a specific instruction to itself.

(Note that this does mean you have to be careful that other people in the house are not trying to turn switches on and off while you are doing network maintenance and adding new devices and excluding some, because otherwise the switches that they are using might accept the “Clear fields” and leave your network! )

So the first thing we do is check the user manual to find out what the exclusion pattern for the switch is. In this case, it’s super simple: any single tap on the switch will cause it to accept the “Clear fields” instruction.

So the step-by-step:

1. read the user manual to find out what you have to do with the switch to get it to act on the general exclusion command. ( in this case, a single tap)

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/products/documents/instruction_sheets/RFAL-DIMR-EN-REV-B.pdf

1. issue the general exclusion command from your hub. See the SmartThings instructions:
  1. Single tap your switch. After brief delay, its LED should start blinking and you know it is now ready to be included as a new device to your SmartThings account.

Since this is an FAQ thread, we don’t want to spend too much time on individual projects here. So I feel we’ve covered this sufficiently for the FAQ. If you run into any problems or you would like to ask more questions about your specific set up, please start a new thread and people can help you there. :sunglasses:

OK…I do appreciate your help. Think I will start a new thread on it. I have followed the steps exactly as you suggested. I went to the Cooper link and printed out the instructions. I put my SmartThings hub in exclusion mode. I did exactly as it said…press the device switch one time to exclude. But the LED did not start blinking. I tried it numerous times. Hub keeps telling me nothing was excluded and to try to “force delete a device from the Z Wave network,” whatever that means. I’m at the point where I may just get a GE master switch and add-on in place of the Eaton(Cooper) and have it installed by an electrician. It is VERY frustrating. Anyway, thanks for you information.

Here’s quick question regarding network repair -
I have a SmartThings V2 hub and only 8 modules (plug-in appliance and dimmer modules) in my network that I just installed, all modules added properly. I then moved them to their intended locations and ran the repair in the hub util menu.
I did this once last night and it was still running this morning. I stopped and restarted it again this morning and it’s been running for 4 hours so far, still going but no status other than the time it started and no repair messages showing.
How long should the repair process take with such a small network?? This seems like way too long. Distances are from about 12’ apart to maybe 35 or 40’ apart.

I’m not sure Zwave repair works correctly when initiated from the new app. I think (I read) somewhere you had to do it in the IDE for now. I did it from the IDE last night and it was done somewhere around 20 minutes (give or take a few)

Mine finishes in less then a minute on the app, just started and finished messages and from ide about the same time but failed and finished messages so I don’t know