FAQ: New SmartThings App

I just found the new Smartthings app yesterday. I have installed it, but when I try to use it, it is requiring me to set it up like its brand new. It is asking for the welcome code, which I am pretty sure I threw the box away. I read that I can reset my welcome code but I do not want to do all that. I do not want to have to install and configure all my devices and all of my apps. That seems ridiculous to me.

Any ideas how to get to use the new app without having to start from scratch?

If it doesn’t work when logging in then you need to wait to be migrated. Keep using the Classic app until then.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s very frustrating! If you are currently operating on any SmartThings hub other than the SmartThings connect home Wi-Fi system, you are not supposed to use the new app until you get an individual message that they’re ready to migrate you. Nothing is going to work correctly for you if you try to do it too soon. :disappointed_relieved:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000114006-New-SmartThings-app-FAQ

If you have the SmartThings connect home Wi-Fi system and the app automatically updated for you and you are having problems, contact support.

1 Like

Ok. I do not think I have received a migration email. At least I do not remember seeing it. I am fine to wait as long as I do not have to wipe everything out ans start over.

Thanks!

1 Like

If it’s like the beta, you’ll receive a message in the Classic app when the migration is ready.

1 Like

I called support center they having problem with North America app

That’s an entirely separate issue than the one that the OP described. That’s a cloud outage which is affecting both the old and the new app.

1 Like

Cannot log into the App, cannot log into the online API…
If Smartthings cannot improve their MTBF I am going to start looking at other systems.

Has anyone migrated over yet? I’m curious if custom device types, community created device handlers and smart apps will still be supported.

I ask because the new app looks to be very “Samsung Corporate” and I fear it means that everything is going to be curated by Samsung like things are with Apple’s Homekit. I like the open community nature of this system and hope that’s not going to disappear with all of Samsung IoTs being rolled all under one umbrella.

So anyone that has transitioned or started out on the new app I’d love to hear your insight.

As of today, custom code is not yet supported on the new app, which is why support is telling everyone to stay on the old app until you are specifically told to migrate over. Essentially there is no migration yet. See the supportbase FAQ linked to above.

This thread is mostly intended to let people know they should NOT be trying to migrate yet. For discussion of feature differences, see the current discussion thread ( this is a clickable link)

1 Like

Nothing work for me neither.

Is there any official word that the new app will support custom code?

(I may spam this question.)

The official word from staff member @jody.albritton is that they want it to, but it doesn’t yet, which is one reason why no one with a pre-existing account should start using it until support tells them to.

What’s your definition of official? A couple of SmartThings employees in here have said it will. The new app supports custom smart apps that are already installed.

1 Like

Yea I’m trying to figure out what I should plan for… Home Assistant is proving painful… I just found out where bravenel went thanks to this topic… which is very enticing…
Thanks @JDRoberts

I just switched from home assistant (used for 2 years, tired of instability) to a SmartThings 2018 hub. I gained stability but lost a good portion of integrations I’d like to get back with smart apps and custom device drivers. This sucks.

install the SmartThings Classic app and login with your Samsung account.

1 Like

Also start a list under the projects section and we can try and help get some of that stuff working.

Can’t. I have the 2018 hub

Yes you can :slight_smile: you only need the Samsung Connect app when initially setting up the 2018 hub. After that, you can use the Classic app. Except for Samsung TVs and appliances, they only work through the Samsung Connect app.

1 Like