FAQ: Networking and Reducing Channel interference between WiFi and Zigbee

No, …like @michaelahess and @JDRoberts said, your current set up is fine…To reiterate what Michael said, avoid Wi-FI channel 1, as that’s the one that interferes with your zigbee…If you can make deals with your neighbors tell them you pay them to move to channel 6 or 11

That’s great advice, thanks for clearing it up for me.
And I’m in the U.K., that’s why I spelt the word “neighbours” correctly, and not “neighbors”. :wink:

3 Likes

This was so helpful. I changed the wifi channel to 11 and most of my non-responsive zigbees came to life after a reset. We will see what happens over the next few days but this was helpful.

1 Like

HI- does anyone know which ios apps i can use to check wifi channel usage?

thanks

Sadly none. Apple doesn’t let you have access to that. WiFi analyser on Android works well though.

Yeah, as @siwilson mentions, it’s weird. Macs actually have this ability available in a system utility, but it’s blocked on an iPhone. I’m not sure what the thinking is on that.

The following article will show you how to do it on either windows laptop or a Mac if you don’t have an android device. If you do have an android device, just use Wi-Fi analyzer. :sunglasses:

Argh - that’s so annoying! can i do anything via my laptop (windows) or amazon tablet?
thanks

Goto your Router Administration page and look to see what channels your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are using. Not the settings page which are most likely Auto, but in the active Wireless page for your Router that will show something like this for each of the bands:

I can see what i’m using but i want to see why my WIFI is so damn poor… ie are neighbours other devices interfering. Currently using ch11

What makes you think that your wifi performance is bad? The title of the thread is Networking and reducing interference between Zigbee and Wifi (2.4ghz), so I thought you were trying to identify what channel your 2.4ghz band is using and then comparing that to what channel your Zigbee is currently on and seeing if they are sitting on top of each other, resulting in interference issues.

It’s that too… i’ve been told the zigbee network (despite items being so close together) are right at the low end of acceptable signal. they are literally within 3meters and no brick walls

wifi - often get buffering issues on video despite nothing else using the broadband and i have 38mb via LAN connection

What channel is Zigbee set to in your SmartThings?

How do i find that? (it’s actually “Hive”) that uses zigbee

thanks

Login to SmartThings on the web https://account.smartthings.com

Then goto Hubs and scroll down to Zigbee. It will display what channel it is currently using.

Channel: 24

So with your Wifi 2.4ghz band being on 11 and Zigbee being on 24, they are almost right on top of each other. You can see in the screenshot below. Because the Zigbee channel is not easily modifiable, it is recommended that your Wifi channel be as far away from the Zigbee channel and in this case, closer to channel 1. If your wifi 2.4ghz is set to Auto, you could try rebooting and see if it comes back up on a lower channel or hard code a channel of let’s say 2, 3, 4 or even 5.

thank you- i will try that. i thought it’s recommended to use 1,6 or 11?

That comes down to performance in your neighborhood/area. Channel 1 is usually congested therefore affecting performance directly on your wifi. If you selected channel 6, that would be ok as you can see it’s in the next tier over. Leaving it on Auto and having it select 6 or lower would be the best case though :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you. not sure i “heart” the comment! doh

1 Like

HI , I am a newbie to smartthings. mine is on 24 too . is one channel stronger than other ? If so, What are the best channels for wifi and smartthings. What is AP ?