SmartThings Community

FAQ: Is there a way to see the Zwave mesh network map?

(Eric Anderson) #33

The first thing you will notice is the map is symmetric. Device 001 is the controller and can see device 2,3,5,7 and 18; Device 4,6,11,12,16, and 23 can’t be seen by the controller; device 4 would have to be going through device 7; …; device 12 can see device 7 which can see the controller.
Get it, routes always take the shortest hops.
What really maters is what the controller can see, it would help to pick a more central location.

1 Like

(Nicholas Wilkie) #34

Is there any way to use the Aeon Z-stick as a secondary controller to investigate the Z-wave routing table? Is there some other tool that can do this?

Also please ST would you PLEASE just let us export this information???

2 Likes

(EinarS) #35

@erocm1231 hi!
did you find a way to map device id for ST to the device id you get in razberry?
Would be cool if one could easy se the real mesh that reside in ST and how its all glued.
But as long as there is no way as i found it to map the Device_x to Device ID its a bit of a digging to be done :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Jack H) #36

Possible product FINALLY coming? (July 2017)

0 Likes

The toolkit exists, but it’s only available to Z wave alliance members. That’s a minimum $400 a year membership plus $299 for the toolkit. Not something I think most people would find worth the cost just to map their own network.

2018 Update

The tool kit device is now available for individual sale And no longer requires an alliance membership. Lists at $249, but Occasionally goes on sale for anywhere from $149 to $189.

The following thread has more about what it is and what it does:

0 Likes

(romez) #38

I have ST v2 hub, I bought a z-stick and was able to get Z-Wave PC Controller to see the z-stick when it is plugged into the computer. I am lost when trying to actually get it connected as a secondary controller to my ST hub. I tried clicking on the lightning bolt and it goes into learning mode and tried including a device in ST and it is not working. Can anyone help with that? I reread this forum several times and cant figure it out to save my own life. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes

(romez) #39

I kept playing with it and tried to exclude the device first and it excluded it and then I tried inclusion and the lightning bolt and it worked. I can see all of my devices and the z-wave map with red and blue square. Is there any easy way to find out which device goes to which number? and I have about 50 devices but only 25 are showing up on the map.

0 Likes

A friend told me a different product, the “toolbox” is commercially available for anyone to buy at a one time cost of $250.

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/kits-bundles/tools/zwp-tbx-z-wave-toolbox

Looks nice, lots of expert features, but obviously expensive.

0 Likes

That’s a standard topology map. The device ID should be the same is the “device network ID” on your SmartThings account, which you can see in the IDE.

Remember that Z wave allows for dynamic routing, it’s not that there’s a single pathway so you’re not going to see lines the way you would if you were tracking a specific message. It’s just showing you which nodes can reach which other nodes in one hop.

A blue square means the node for that row and the node for that column can communicate in one hop. A Red Square means they can’t. The white square is where the same device is in both the row and column.

For example, node 3, a sensor, can only communicate with your hub.

Node 23, which is a binary switch, has a bunch of routing choices: it can communicate in one hop with your hub, switches 27, 28, and 46; a couple of door locks ( or maybe a garage door controller, but a “barrier entry” device) at 33 and 55 and 57, a sensor at 49, and then another six or seven devices that I can’t see the labels for, but it looks like another door lock, some more switches, and probably the USB stick at 100.

You said you have about 50 devices: just to be sure, are those all Z wave devices? Anything that’s in the network map for your zwave controller should show up on the topology map.

0 Likes

Need to visually manage Mesh-Z-wave network
(Brian Aker) #42

What version of Zensys are you using? I have never seen the topology map before.

0 Likes

(Alex) #43

Is there any way to view the entire topology map instead of just what I show in the snippet below? My map has over 100 columns but only shows 38 columns and even less rows when the topology map is docked. When undocked (drag tab label) it gets a bit better but I still can’t see the entire map.

Docked:

Undocked:

Am I missing something? I just can’t find any way to resize this. I often have weird issues with devices close to each other and I would like a way to easily review my network at the very least to exclude a subset of potential issues. Based on my map, it appears that all devices have many alternative routes to the hub. The only devices that show a full red line are the minimotes and I am guessing that is normal.

EDIT: I found several IDs that do not show in the ST device list. Are those ghost devices still hanging out in my routing table? How can I get rid of them?

0 Likes

(Matthews Family) #44

Write down those networkID. These are probably old devices but you got rid of them.

Login to SmartThings IDE. Go to devices, now create a new device. Name it whatever you want. Now under networkID type one of those ghost ID. Do this for all of your ghost.

Go to your app, find the ghost device you made and force delete.

Once you’ve deleted your ghost devices run a zwave repair from your IDE and this will fix your issue.

2 Likes

(Alex) #45

@matthewsfamily0914 - I had done that in the past when network repairs complained about devices that no longer existed however the ones showing up here do not show in the network repair log so it makes me wonder what is different. Regardless, I’ll try to do what you suggested to see if it changes anything in the topology map. Every so often my whole network seems to go nuts and only careful grooming - including network repairs - seems to bring it back to reason even though ST support always tells me it does more harm that good on a large zwave mesh network. Speaking of which… in some of the last network repairs I noticed the log saying something about devices with no name being removed… I wonder if that is the fix for ghost devices.

1 Like

Sorry for the digression but does anyone know where I can download zentools from now? Aeotec have removed it from their web-site and moonlitzwave.com which seems to have been the other popular source has disappeared…

0 Likes

(Christopher Howard) #47

I happened to find it attached to this Google group and it worked for me.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openhab/n1txTwcWBjo

2 Likes

Great! Thanks. Pondering my topology map as I type…

0 Likes

2018 Update

If you’re willing to spend $200-$250, you can now purchase the zwave toolbox without needing any of the other developer licenses. This has more reports and can be used in more ways than just getting a USB stick. It’s intended for professional installers who would keep the toolbox for themselves but take it with them to different client accounts to do troubleshooting. I don’t think most people won’t want to get one, but I did want to mention that it’s available, particularly for those intend to have multiple installations.

1 Like

(Chris) #50

Is there any other way to view the ghost devices aside from the zstick?

0 Likes

(Alex) #51

I believe I have not dealt with ghost devices in a couple years now so I am not sure what options there are now. Scour the event list to see if you see them there, but from what I recall, the tip off that there were some was that they were showing up in network repairs without a device name and were not appearing in the device list either.

ST support can also help… they’ve cleared them once or twice for me in the past. Be sure to contact SmartThings support and NOT Samsung support as your chances of getting through to someone aware of this issue are likely dramatically lower. This is not an every day issue :wink:

2 Likes

What device did you get that (green and yellow) screenshot from? If it’s from a web-based interface, I might be able to turn it into a “network layout” sort of representation.

0 Likes