FAQ: Best/Most Stable door lock?

Nope. It’s just integrated to ST and I use it open or close at times and check the status. But have never automated it per se. Eric has nice custom app I think. Lock code manager.

Thanks. I don’t want to automate mine either, but I would like to manage codes without touching the lock. It seems an easier process.

Integrate it with Alexa… :wink: Then we can all open your door and have a party!

Didn’t someone say that Kwikset charges for ‘guest’ codes? Schlage does not…

Bill,
I installed a total of 3 kwikset 910’s. One in my house, the other 2 in a vacation home. All 3 work fantastic. I love them for their functionality. One thing I do regret though is the fact that the vacation home has all schlage locks/handles which means different type of key design/sizes. So we actually have to use 2 different types of keys for the vacay home now. Big Oops on my part. :frowning:

Not sure if this consideration applies to you, but if so, hopefully you’ll avoid my mistake and take into account what type of lock brand(s) you already have around the house.

On that note: does anyone have a work around for my mistake? IE a key that fits both brands?

For the device itself:

If desired, an app for lock codes:

2 Likes

I caught some chatter about custom device types and Hub 2. Would I still be able to use this if I upgraded?

Yes. However, the device type code will run “in the cloud” (as it does with v1) at this time.

(This may or may not be the same as the default ST provided “z-wave lock” device type. I just have no way to know that.)

1 Like

One thing weird I noticed in the smart home monitor is the absence of selecting a lock…I would think a lock is critical for that.

2 Likes

Another factor that might apply - it does to me - is compatibility between the re-keying systems. I would stay with Kwikset because all my current locks use the Kwikset “smartkey” system to allow easy re-keying.

I’ve got a question I’ve never seen addressed… On all my locks, I have to jiggle, shake and otherwise force alignment of the door to jamb before I can manually engage the deadbolt. How do y’all deal with that on an automated lock? Even if aligned perfectly to start, i don’t foresee it staying that way for long.

Sounds like a problem with either the lock or the door. You should be able to have a perfectly smooth alignment. A lot of people make the hole that the deadbolt goes into just a little bigger for an automated deadbolt (Yale actually recommends that) to make sure the bolt can go in and out without touching the sides. It’s just as secure.

The precise reason I hired a locksmith to get it all done with experience…

1 Like

[quote=“CAL7, post:23, topic:21506”]
How do y’all deal with that on an automated lock? Even if aligned perfectly to start, i don’t foresee it staying that way for long.
[/quote]With the Schlage locks… if the motor is unable to completely move the bolt into the locked position, it will “retry”, and then send a “jammed” z-wave notification (which you’d need a smartapp to be notified about.)

[quote=“garyd9, post:26, topic:21506, full:true”]

The Yale does the same.

thanks for all the responses, will start to look and see what I go with. I am sure I will be back for more answers in the near future.

FYI I looked at the Kwikset but rejected it because of the Youtube video showing how to take a flathead screwdriver and pliers and breaking the locked in 10 secs, there is a major security flaw with the smartkey system in those just FYI. Its been reported all over the web. I would got with Schlage or Yale. I have a Schalage BE469 and it will do everything the kwikset will do.

Along with making a distinctly different beeping sound, it’s handy.

Tell me that’s multiple dogs and not just one huge freak of nature? :wink: We are dog rescuers, and I always like to joke that we have the most secure house on the street. We have a Boxer and three bully mixes, so if a burglar can clear our lock(s) and the dogs, they deserve what they can carry out!

Haha yes I have two German Shepards. They’re great and a pain at the same time. They’re very alert which gives me some peice of mind.

1 Like