It was the “Lighting Automation” Smart App. I moved it all to routines.
I got everything moved, ran Zwave Repair and restarted my hub, but the lag isn’t better. I still had fewer, but a few Unknowns on the Zwave repair, and now I have devices randomly going offline - it’s not a constant online/offline thing, but it just seems every hour or two some of the devices come online and a different two or three go offline.
So if there’s any guidance on the next step of troubleshooting, I’d appreciate it.
I’m officially off DTH drivers, so they are all on Edge. It looked like a lot of the ones I removed a re-added, but they all seem to be up and running now, except for a lone door sensor that’s the old SmartThings PGC313 Multi Sensor. The batteries were dead at the start of this escapade, but I did replace the batteries, removed the device and re-added it. It was connected for a while, but now it’s offline.
That is the mobile app attempting to tell you that the devices have null values for one or more attributes. It has never been clear why it can’t just work with the ones it does have instead of getting its knickers in a twist.
Conventionally integrations create synthetic events to initialise the attributes but I noticed that these were temporarily disabled in stock Edge drivers last year. I presumed they confused the issue when migrating devices with the trade off being confusing the issue when installing devices instead. Why the app can’t just say which attributes it is waiting for is another mystery, as then you might be able to help it out by ‘playing’ with the devices.
A couple of other things to check using API Browser+:
Check the fingerprints of all your Z-Wave devices to be sure they registered properly and that you don’t have any with all zeroes
If you have Z-Wave Plus devices, did S2 security properly authenticate or does it show failed? Edge architecture is more finicky about S2 security
Check that the Provisioning State is Provisioned
After all that, it might be time to start doing some driver logging to get a sense of how commands are being processed and received. That is done with the ST CLI tool from a Linux/Windows/Mac computer. We can go further into that later if necessary.
Did you add Plus devices via QR code or Search Nearby? If you did Search Nearby and didn’t provide the DSK, it would fail. Not saying this is the problem, but trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.
All that device info is in the Details for a device. Forgot fingerprints isn’t the term anymore. It’s Mfg Code.
So I wanted to wrap this up - I don’t know exactly what solved the issue, but the lag is pretty much gone (occasionally something will take a while when commanded through the echo, but for the most part, I’m good now).
I replaced two switches that were bad and removed and re-added a few devices that didn’t seem to migrate to Edge drivers. I then went through and searched for device-specific Edge drivers as applicable and things are running smoothly now.
For anyone who might need it - check out Asurion Home+ as it’s a service contract that replaces all your home electronics, including smart devices. I’ve had several devices fail over the past few years and Asurion sends me $50 for each failed device so I can go ahead and replace it.