Extra Parameters for GE Dimmer Switches

The tiles would be for Info Only, all settings are on the settings page. I am going to skip this for this release, KISS.

I am also going to Ignore, ignore. Just let the switch handle it.

While I agree with the invert, some people may like the led on top. And there are some cases, were controllers treat up as down, movie screens come to mind. On is usually Lower screen.

Good point, at least that option is just a 0 or a 1.

Here is the first release of the Device Handler. I had to remove instant On, it wasnā€™t working.

Let me know how it works. I only tested it on one Switch that is a GE Z-Wave Smart Dimmer (In-Wall), 12724. In theory it should work for all Jasco based switches. but donā€™t hold me to that.

I will probably ā€œreleaseā€ it in a new thread, then try to get it incorporated into STā€™s repo.

2 Likes

Sorry busy weekend painting a bedroom.

Iā€™ll check out this code tonight.

Pulled your code down, still need to play with it. I was dealing with IPv6 problems last night.

What settings are you using on that one? I have the same model but donā€™t notice any differences in behavior with your device type after trying a couple different settings.

I also hit a ā€œplease fill out all required fieldsā€ error even with all of them filled in and seemingly between the ranges you specific in the DTH. It was finally happy with the combination of numbers I entered but Iā€™m not sure which field was causing the problem since they were all populated.

I have recieved that error in other DTH, its like its not recognizing. I can probably move the required elements.

The changes can be pretty minor and depending on the light you may not notice the differences. Also be sure to hit Configure to send the settings to the light switch, the DTH actually does nothing different than the standard dimmer. Its all in the switch. Also check livelogging, you should see responses coming back from your switch with you settings. I cut the timing down so it may be sending commands too fast.

Right now with Feit LEDs I am running 5% steps at 10 interval. So it should there are 20 steps * 100 ms= 2000 ms = 2 seconds. I find my leds donā€™t really like steps smaller than 5, and steps larger than 10 I notice the steps up.

Added the device type to another light I had, and got the required field error. I just updated the code not to make any field required any more, honestly not sure why ST doesnā€™t recognize it correctly.

Played with settings more and I like 3% steps by 3 x10ms steps in my kitchen.

2 dim rates possible?

1. single tap
  2. press and hold

Is there a way to set 2 dim rates. One dim rate for single tap and a second dim rate for press and hold?

then I could set single tap to instant on; and use press and hold for setting to a specific dim value.

Otherwise I cannot set the dim value and I might as well have installed a switch instead of a dimmer.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not how the switches are designed unfortunately.

There are a few places like the vanities in my master bathroom where I installed the on/off model instead of dimmers because I wanted instant 100% on.

There is not a way to set 2 dim rates based on tappings. I find the press and hold work good for dimming, but there is no instant on. The default is 1% steps at 30 ms each so 3 seconds to ramp up. I have reduced my steps to 3%. Now the light ramps up in about a second. One of the main reason I have gotten dimmers is we like the gradual on/off.

You can also set up instant on from switch (99% steps) and still keep the dimmer function from the App. I have the Echo hooked to lights, and the harmony home remote so I can set dim levels from nearly anywhere.

I know there is ā€œdouble-tapā€ smartapp but does not work well with dimmers due to the way it sends repeating commands.

I am also probably going to move this to a SmartApp. I was setting up multiple lights last night (have 10 dimmers) and its kind of a pain. This will allow default Device Handler, and the ability to update multiple dimmers at once.

1 Like

SmartApp, thatā€™s a good idea. Might need the ability to setup groups of lights instead of 1 set of settings for all the dimmers.

All the settings live in the switch, so once you set them you donā€™t need to keep the settings in the smartApp.

Little worried about SmartApp since when you choose capability for setLevel devices many appear. ST also does not recommend using confguration from smartApps (http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#configuration)

1 Like

@desertblade
This works great

Would it be possible to allow setting the level with Core or RM with out turning the light on?

For example I have lights that will turn on at a dim level if there is motion in night mode. but during the day I want them to turn on at 100% with out having to adjust the level back up.

Thank you!

1 Like

In Rule Machine (and Iā€™m sure itā€™s possible in CoRE tooā€¦), I just made a rule that set the Level and then immediately turned off the light.

Of course, youā€™ll want a Condition on the rule so that if the light was already on, you donā€™t turn it off. Whether or not, or when, you still change the dimmer level is a different issue. You could wait until the light is first turned on during the daytime, but it would have some lag (few seconds) between the light turning on and SmartThings running the rule to bring up the brightness; especially if the physical Switch doesnā€™t have instant reporting!

You can set up pistons to set the desired light level based on either the time of day or the mode.

Here is an exampleā€¦

1 Like

Thanks guys.
I am currently using core, however the problem is if I have core set the level to 10% at night then when I go to turn the light on manually the next day it comes on at 10% not 100% because the switch remembers the last level it was set to.

What I would like is to have CoRe tell the switch that the level is 100% in the morning but with out having the light turn on.
That way when my wife goes to turn on the light it turns on at 100% not 10%.

I have tried this but the lag was way too long

I have also done this for the lights down stairs and it works well, problem is I need a way to have my master bath light get set to back to 100% with out wake us up.
I may just have to make it my alarm clock. :slight_smile:

You can set a piston to do thisā€¦

IF
 Time is between 0600 & 1800
       AND
  light switch changes to on

WHEN TRUE
  Using light switch
  Set level to 100%