Expandable Zigbee Repeater Solution (With Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensors)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-smartthings-white-a19-smart-led-bulb-white/6348264.p?skuId=6348264&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=951&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQfu46AaR3vk6WfG5L2Yki0aJwLclV58DudgtzrHiJFcD2duq8YH43AaAjLAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is this device used as 1 zigbee repeater?

I apologize for the late reply. It is a Zigbee repeater. As a repeater it should be able to help extend the reach of your Zigbee mesh.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

I’m wondering if there is a way to use an external probe for testing soil temp/moisture/(maybe even luminosity). I 'd like to have a tester in each of my grow tents that have sensor leads to multiple plant pots that I could then use to control water delivery exhaust fan and light level. If I could run 4-8 sensor probes off each zigbee repeater, it could be a great system that could be sold for all kinds of commercial or large personal grow systems. I’m also think I could use it outside in my garden running off low voltage lighting system to control automatic watering system I use that is a smart control system. There are so many possibilities if you could have multiple soil sensor probes running off one of these little devices. I’m willing to help out in any way I can if you are interested in this use case.

@Daniel_Dawson, thanks for looing into my project. I hope that we can help each others. For your grow tent, I think there are a couples solution that we can do.

The module have UART expansion. You can add an Arduino. I have an example above on thread 414 connecting to DS18B20 as an example. We can replace the DS18B20 with any sensor you may need. There are many Arduino sensor out there. A bit of coding is needed to package those data and send it back to the hub.

Another option is to use Bluetooth. I have a daughter Bluetooth card that connect to serial port. It act as a BLE gateway. One of the device that I have supported is the following device. If you do not mind going to ebay, these sensor is known as Xiaomi Flora. It comes with Moisture, temperature, fertility and illumination.

The battery live is surprisingly excellent. It has been a couple years. I have not replace the battery yet. The range is not that great. Depending on the size of are of your pots and how open it is, you may need a few gateways. The gateway can listen to multiple of this “flora” devices easily.

Here is a video that I made. The video is made on Hubitat hub which has very similar framework to ST at this point. Please note as ST is moving on new path. I am not sure yet whether I am going to support my devices on ST. I have to see how much time and investment that I need to make for my device to work in ST in the future.

Let me know whether there are some of the solution is close to what you can work with.

Thanks
Iman

@Alwas is using @iharyadi’s sensor with a soil moisture sensor:

1 Like

Hi @iharyadi, to get the various child devices displaying correctly in the new app, @mvevitsis walked me through how to do it, many thanks. You delete these 2 lines from the parent dth.

componentName: componentName,
componentLabel: “${device.displayName} $childDH”])

So this…

def childDevice = childDevices.find{item-> return item.deviceNetworkId == "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH"}
if(!childDevice)
{
    childDevice = addChildDevice("iharyadi", 
                                 "$childDH", 
                                 "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH", null,
                                 [completedSetup: true, 
                                  label: "${device.displayName} $childDH",
                                  isComponent: false, 
                                  componentName: componentName, 
                                  componentLabel: "${device.displayName} $childDH"])

}

return childDevice?.configure_child()

becomes this…

def childDevice = childDevices.find{item-> return item.deviceNetworkId == "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH"}
    if(!childDevice)
    {
        childDevice = addChildDevice("iharyadi", 
                                     "$childDH", 
                                     "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH", null,
                                     [completedSetup: true, 
                                      label: "${device.displayName} $childDH",
                                      isComponent: false, 
                                      ])

}

return childDevice?.configure_child()
}

Save and publish, delete the children, then create them again. It’s very strange having an extra 15 devices show correctly in the new app! :+1:

2 Likes

@Alwas & @mvevitsis Thank you for tracking down this issue. I have updated the DTH in github.

1 Like

I’ll check these out. Thanks

@iharyadi just received my new sensor to go along with the others I’ve purchased, great little device!

Is there something I could try to modify in DTH to get the sensor to show temperature vice humidity in the new Smartthings app on the main tile?
SmartSelect_20201121-164720_SmartThings

If not or your not sure, it’s no big deal. Just curious??

Hi Don,

I am sorry for the late reply. It has been busy weekend. I do not know how to change the tile yet on the new GUI. I am learning as we go with the new transition. Once I find out, I will let you know.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

Thank you, and your reply was not late. Lots going on everywhere anymore.

1 Like