Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 on 3-way master switch?

(Joshua Rountree) #1

I’m just curious if anyone has this setup or would know enough to help me get it working in a 3-way setup…?
From reviewing this product, it would appear it’s capable of being used single handedly to allow a 3-way switch + it’s slaves to trigger via z-wave?

(Csb0xc4rs) #2

They have a configuration posted on-line which involves replacing one of the 3-way switches with a 4-way switch. I am using an alternative, and somewhat unconventional, approach that is working extremely well. I will have to detail it later but I’ll try my best to describe it here (along with this common footnote that I AM NOT an electrician).

I needed to find an alternative to the typical zwave switches on the market because I am using black switches and preferred to continue to use the same looking switches wherever I implemented automation. This of course led me to the ZWN-RSM2 and ZWN-RSM1S relays.

Couple other points of clarity about the pre-install configuration: My hot circuit enters switch box 1, the 2 travelers and neutral head over to box 2, then from there, we power the lights from box 2. In my case, there is no always-on hot (black wire) in box 2 by default.

Here is how I accomplished 3 way switching using a single RSM2 and 2 traditional single-pole switches (technically you could use the existing 3-way switches but you would need to understand the switches switch position and hot connections.).

The hot circuit comes into box 1. I cable the line (black) to the bottom of a single pole switch (switch 1). I also connect the black traveler to the bottom of switch 1 to get an always-on hot circuit to pass through to box 2. Then, I connected the existing red traveler to the top of switch 1. At this point, heading to box 2, is a red wire that is only hot when switch 1 is switched on. and the black wire which is always hot (on).

Now, in box 2, I connect the black hot wire from box 1 (always hot) and connect it and the line connection from the RSM2 to the bottom of switch 2 (I also connect the passing through neutral to the RSM2 at this time) - now the RSM2 has power and switch 2 has power as well. I now connect the RSM2 aux 1 connection to the red traveler and the RSM2 aux 2 connection to the top of switch 2. Basically, at this point, the single RSM2 can detect a switch state change on either switch 1 (aux 1) or switch 2 (aux 2). Now, I connect the RSM2 load 1 to the actual load (lights) and place a wire-nut on the RSM2 load 2 (more on that in a second).

At this point, if someone toggles switch 1, the lights go on. If they toggle switch 2, nothing happens (since load 2 is capped/dead-end).

Now, assuming power is back on to the circuit, add the RSM2 to smartthings. You will also need to go in and add 2 virtual switches via the smartthings developer api page. I call these 2 switches: Room Switch 1 and Room Switch 2. You now need to connect the virtual switches to the RSM2 in smartthings using code from erocm1231 in this community (Virtual / Physical Switch Sync). This will allow you to have separate controls for each switch of the RSM2. Now, using the Lighting Automation SmartApp, create 2 rules: 1. Turn on switch 1 if switch 2 is turned on (off also), and 2. Turn on switch 2 if switch 1 is turned on (off also).

At this point, switching either switch will ensure that switch 1 is turned on and in turn load 1 is enabled (turning on the lights). because of the smart app dependency, Switch 1 will cause the lights to come right on, but switch 2 requires the smartapp to react and turn on switch 1. (so there can be a very slight delay) - of course all of this works for switching any switch off as well.

I have this about 7 instances of this setup running now at my home and love it!

Hope it helps.

(John Dragt) #3

csb0xc4rs, Is it possible to point me to your configuration of replacing one 3-way switch with a 4-way switch. In the configuration I am dealing with I do not have 3rd wire between the two switches and I am trying to find a way to use a Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 module.

Thank You