Energysmart electric plastic water heater controller

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EnergySmart-Electric-Plastic-Water-Heater-Controller/50292493

Lowe’s website says this work with SmartThings. Hmmm.

I bought and installed this device on my new water heater that was also installed today. I connected to my home network, and can see the heater controller on my network. I opened my SmartThings app, and searched for devices, nothing new was found. I tried to add manually, and the heater controller is not listed. I searched SmartThings for custom device handlers, and I do not see this exists at all.

Anyone have any suggestions to add this to SmartThings?

Do you mean you tried to add/include a new device? I wonder how they say it works with ST? I’m curious what you find out.

Yes, I tried to add a new device from SmartThings app, it did not find anything. I tried to add manually, could not find the device listed. I looked for a custom device handler from the community, but did not find anything.

But on Lowe’s website, it clearly states it works with SmartThings.

I went through this issue with IrisbyLowes, the water heater manufacturer, Samsung SmartThings tech support, etc. The bottom line is no one knows who manufactures this device and all say it is not compatible with Smartthings (despite the spec info on the Lowes website, etc.). I’ve tried some backdoor attempts to get it to work (e.g., tried to connect via Rheem EcoNet - for which there is a device driver and smartapp - but this was a no-go; etc.) without any luck. It works with the IrisbyLowes app, but you can’t get any real data on the unit’s performance from it. There is one article in the Smartthings forum abut how to intercept the data, but you have to setup Hyper-V, do some programming with Docker, and some other stuff; but I gave up when I could not get the programming software to work (plus the instructions were a bit too scant). So, I have the device connected to the internet and IrisbyLowes, but not Smartthings. If someone smarter than I could write a device handler and smartapp, I think there are a lot of people who would appreciate that.

I did send an email to the Lowe’s Iris people. I’m hoping they will share the handler they use to connect the controller to IRIS, then perhaps it can be modified to work with SmartThings. That was last week. Hoping for a reply.

Looks like IrisbyLowes is shutting down on 3/31/19, and is offering a redemption Visa card to device holders to help migrate to another smart home system. Fair enough, but this will eliminate the possibility of them helping to develop a device handler for us. Have you given any additional thought to how to break the code on this device so we can integrate it with Smartthings?

I got a reply from the developers yesterday, but so far they are not being helpful… If they could at least let us know who the manufacturer is, that would be a start.

Plus, with the email about Iris shutting down and Iris recommending users move to SmartThings, this would be a great opportunity for Lowe’s to help users with this device migrate to SmartThings. We can do the work to create the device handler
for SmartThings, but they need to help us get the info we need first.

Hoping they come through…

When you say get help with information to create the device handler, what exactly do you need Lowes to provide? Have you seen this link: https://github.com/excaliburpartners/EnergySmartBridge ? If you can get this bridge to work, you should get access to the data available from the device. I just couldn’t get the programs to work for me.

I have not seen that, will take a look…

Has anyone sent this information to tech support? It seems like the controller interacts with a website. I found the url, but was not able to see who owns it. It expires Nov. 2019. That is why it works with Iris with no hub needed.

I think this is the perfect time to address this, Iris users like myself are transitioning and want to keep this device.

I don’t know if anyone has. Hope you can get some tech support help with this!
:blush:

I am in the same boat. I like the controller and would love to see it’s integration with ST!

Here is the information on that website listed.

Domain Name: ENERGYSMARTWATERHEATER.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1762075323_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.launchpad.com
Registrar URL: http://www.launchpad.com
Updated Date: 2018-11-11T04:25:19Z
Creation Date: 2012-11-26T22:20:28Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-11-26T22:20:28Z
Registrar: Launchpad.com Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 955
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Name Server: NS1.ENERGYSMARTWATERHEATER.COM
Name Server: NS2.ENERGYSMARTWATERHEATER.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/

Not sure what to make of this information. “NS” links don’t work and others don’t offer any help. Please elaborate. Thanks.

The info that I got was that the module updates to/from that website every 5 minutes. There is a link somewhere with a workaround requiring a redirect to a site that you set up… it was more involved than i want to mess with…i was hoping smartthings would be able to contact the website and create an interface.

I was not able to communicate very well with tech support, they said they would pass it to programming.