Edge replacement for Ridiculously Automated Garage Door automation?…

Did it and set it up like you have shown and I get no notifications at all.

Ok, update… I went to the vEdge switch (you show it as a momentary) and I turned it “ON” (your screenshot shows it being “off” in your “IF” statement. Once I turned it ON, I started getting notifications every 2 min. But the weird thing is, I get 10 in a row, every 2 min. lol. Unsure why

It’s definitely something that’ll get my attention that I left my garage door open, but I’d rather it be once, haha.

Last update… I got it. Changed it to a switch and finally got it figured out.

Thanks, this will help a lot to ensure I have same functionality I had with the current app I’ve been using

2 Likes

Just adjust time from 2 minutes to 15 or to frequency of your liking, or deselect Auro turn off to avoid more than 1 notifications

Hmm… so it’s actually not working “automatically” when I open the garage. Even though the virtual switch is in the off state when I open the garage, opening the garage doesn’t turn it on. I have to go to the virtual device and turn it “on” manually and then automation works. Hmmm

Edit again: Been troubleshooting all evening. I like figuring this stuff out when I have time… the issue is I rarely have so much time, hah.

So no matter what type of virtual switch I choose (switch, momentary), if I set it like you showed above in the “IF” with precondition, the switch would not turn on in the “THEN” portion of the command. If I turned off the precondition and just have both items in the IF, the command to turn on in the THEN section works. So I just created another routine to turn off the Virtual Switch when I close the garage. That way any time I go to open the garage, both conditions (garage open, switch off) will be true and fire the routine.

Long story short, slightly diff than what you showed above but your info above helped put me on the path where I got it working. Thank you.

It’s because Garage Door status is precondition, not trigger. If you want notification for that, just add notifications when door changes to open.
This is what you wanted, correct? Kind of replacement for Left it Open smart app.

Yeah. I was originally just copying the routine and settings you showed above. But it wasn’t working. But what I ended up with works great for me (tested it again this morning after kids left for school).

And this routine also allowed me to get rid of my original “garage has been opened” notification routine. Bc this one does that every x min. So I just changed my notification message to “Big Garage is OPEN” so it’s a valid message whether it’s right when I open it or 1 hour later.

2 Likes