Ecobee3 - what is the newest way to get this working?

I don’t think we’ll ever get to a “real time” scenario using polling. This would only be feasible if there were a push mechanism from the Ecobee cloud to SmartThings cloud.

This doesn’t seem to be a problem with my implementation. In my implementation I do all API calls from the Service Manager for exactly this reason. With this approach I can control the number of API calls, cache information and avoid unnecessary requests to the cloud. The Ecobee APIs make it very easy to query for multiple thermostats at the same time.

Now the Scheduled Events dying, however, are still a big problem. As you said, even with defensive measures it is likely that at some point the tokens will fail if the scheduler dies since it will only be luck or chance that might bring it back online if the defenses fire at just the right times.

I have attached a multipurpose sensor to pick up the vibrations. Using a smart app that I wrote, I accomplish something similar.

Polling will never be real time. Look at the terms of service on the Ecobee website.

Hi @Alex.b,

If you have any questions, please send them to services@maisonsecomatiq.com as I’m not always in the forum.

Regards.

When you say “re-initialize the connection” what steps are you doing to perform it? Does that mean uninstall and reinstall?

@dalec, it does not mean re-installing. It usually means re-connecting the device to ecobee by doing a re-login with your credentials.

Regards.

P.S. With the latest DB and scheduler changes, the connection issues are pratically over. If you have any questions about My Ecobee Device, let me know at services@maisonsecomatiq.com

See the ST community wiki for more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device.

EDIT: New UI Look & Feel, refer to

The scheduler changes have not yet been rolled out by ST’s so let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. It seems to be much better right now for many people, but there are still quite a few people having scheduler failures.

@strykersks

I tried installing your connect app and I’m getting the error "you are not authorized to perform the requested operation " when I try to enter my creditials to connect to ecobee3. I opened a ticket with support and they said they are aware of the problem and will let me know when it’s fixed. I was wondering if you have seen this before and maybe have a work around?.. I’m using android and have v1 hub.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Did you enable OAuth for the application when you added it? This is the usual error when you have skipped that step. (Don’t feel bad, I often forget when I reinstall too!)

Omg… I forgot all about doing that. Thank you I will try it when I get home.

Thanks again!

You have more self control than me. I’d be firing up a browser now and going into the IDE ;o)

Ha! Wish I could I’m just now pulling out of work. I’m afraid the Police here in michigan frown on that stuff while driving :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all!

A quick update on our official Ecobee3 integration. We’ve completed the integration and we’re beginning testing this week. We expect that testing to take about two weeks.

The main fix/improvement in our official integration is related to an issue with previous integrations that would cause Ecobee to log you out. We’re also updating the UI, adding fan support, celcius support and correcting a few other issues you all had reported to us.

Stay tuned!

4 Likes

All of this, plus fixed to the Windows Phone app? Wow, you must have been busy.

…wait a minute, the Windows Phone app is still broken…

@strykersks
Haven’t had a chance to update… Enabled OAuth and everything works great. Thank you.

@tyler
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing an official integration between ecobee3 and smarthings.

1 Like

I am using the ecobee3RemoteSensorInit smartapp and I am not seeing any activity in the recent log for the remote sensor. In the live logging in the IDE, I can see that takeAction is being executed about ever 5 mins, but the recent activity for the “thing” on my phone and tablet shows nothing. In addition,

The live log shows the following:

Does anybody have any suggestions on what my problem might be?

@yvesracine, I followed your suggestion on a similar post of the same issue.

@midnight555, with the latest release I sent this weekend, you can enable different subscriptions in ecobe3RemoteSensorInit (last Page, other Options) to get around the ST scheduler issues.

By enabling the subscriptions, the smartapp is then automatically re-scheduled if needed. This ensures regular polling of MyEcobee device for updating the remote sensors.

You’d need the latest release for this feature.

If you have other questions regarding MyEcobee device and all its ecosystem of smartapps, you can contact me at services@maisonsecomatiq.com as I’m not always in the ST forum (and it’s easier for me to get the context of all my contributors in gmail conversations).

Regards.

Did this ever happen?