Ecobee 3 Remote Sensors into ST

We must toss and turn a lot then as we’ve had no problem with the sensor picking up enough movement to “follow” us to the bedroom and start tracking temp there. There is a couple degree difference between our room and where our thermostat sits, which makes it easy to tell which temp sensor it’s tracking.

I believe the sensors stay occupied for two hours after the last movement so after you go upstairs it’s still using your down stairs sensors for two hours. I looked at my stats and it seems my wife get up a lot to pee at night (she’s pregnant, lol) so maybe the follow me feature will work at night, I’ll give it a shot, I noticed my heat didn’t kick in until 4am last night but downstairs was below my set point so it would have kicked in a lot more if that sensor was active.

I think it would be helpful if the Follow Me view in the web portal actually told you which sensor(s) it was tracking at a given time. You’re left to infer what it’s tracking by comparing the reported average against the individual sensors.

Outside of that I flippin love the ecobee3. Straight out of the box It Just Works and I’ve had zero problems with it. If only the rest of my things were like this…

I agree, love mine too!

1 Like

Just got mine hooked up! My additional sensors ended up at a different address so I have to wait for them to arrive but so far so good!

I did figure out though that my whole house humidifier control which was mounted next to my thermostat didn’t even have wires run to it and there was a spare wire to the thermostat. I’ll have to figure out how I can make that work…

@yvesracine I am lucky or what… :slight_smile: The HVAC guy was home yesterday and found an unused 5th wire already present but not connected to the the AC unit and the thermostat. I connected it to the C on the AC unit (I had to climb up the attic with a dropcam and he guided me… He couldn’t get into the attic/crawl space being a “big” person :wink: and so, I didn’t have to use the PEK. The setup was so quick and easy. I have three “bees aka sensors:” now. Will grab your device type and SmartApp. Its too cold here in Jersey to run the AC. I am really in love with the Ecobee3. Probably the best looking gadget that I have.

1 Like

@smart, cool! I don’t think you will regret it… On my side, the code is ready (but need to test it) to expose the remote sensors as ST temp and motion sensors…

You could be the beta tester if you want…Let me know.

Sure… As soon as we can safely turn on AC here. I am using it for AC only. They are not compatible with heating in my house else I would have gone for them. They require atleast 4 wires. My heating is 2 wires only.

I will have an Ecobee3 and 3 remote sensors setup by tomorrow evening, perhaps I could test your code too @yvesracine ?

@a2thejay23, sure, no problem… Ecobee will release the new API only in April…Just to let you know.

BTW this is what I received from Ecobee to run Ecobee3 with two wired systems

Hello @Jason_Cummings,

FYI, Zigbee Vents (Keen Home): pre-order now with 10% savings for your multi-zoned heating/cooling solution

Hello @Manofice, for your use case, as soon as the ecobee3’s remote sensor data is available, you
can use My custom Ecobee Device and the following smartapp to do as you please (and more), see this thread:

Regards.

Ron, enjoy the Bee! I love mine, I started mine on March 1, so I will know soon what my gas bill is from last year for March. I know I’m saving a bunch of money from how I use it and see in homeIQ. If you have any questions, let me know

@a2thejay23 @jody.albritton and others,

It was not officially announced, but I guess the ecobee APIs for the remote3 sensors data have been
released in production.

See the release notes here:

https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/documentation/v1/change-log.shtml

I have some beta code that you can test (as I don’t own an ecobee3 thermostat myself, I have a STAT-02).

To test it, grab the following code:

1. You’d need to update the My ecobee device, save& publish in the IDE
  2. Create a new smartapp called ecobee3RemoteSensorInit, grab the code from github above,save&publish.
  3. Prior to calling ecobee3RemoteSensorInit, you need to create 2 additional generic device types in your IDE:
  • Motion Sensor

• Temperature Sensor

Those are 2 devices types from SmartThings. In order to do so,

a) Go to https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

b) Click on new SmartDevice on the right
c) On the new SmartDevice page, click on the “From Template” tab
d) Scroll down to Temperature Sensor
e) Click “create” at the bottom of the page
f) Click Save and publish on the next page
g) Do the same for Motion Sensor
h) Click “create” at the bottom of the page
i) Click save and publish

1. Kill your smartThings app, clean the cache and reload the app (as the old device is cached, especially
    if you have android V1.17)
  2. Under My apps, execute ecobee3RemoteSensorInit the same way as the My Ecobee Init (service Manager).
    It will ask you to select the remote temp sensors and motion sensors to expose to SmartThings.

After execution, you should be able to see the new Sensor objects under

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list

Let me know how it goes.
Regards.

1 Like
9:48:03 PM: error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'generateRemoteSensorEvents' is not supported. Supported commands: [poll, refresh, setHeatingSetpoint, setCoolingSetpoint, off, heat, emergencyHeat, cool, setThermostatMode, fanOn, fanAuto, fanCirculate, setThermostatFanMode, auto, setFanMinOnTime, setCondensationAvoid, createVacation, deleteVacation, getEcobeePinAndAuth, getThermostatInfo, getThermostatSummary, iterateCreateVacation, iterateDeleteVacation, iterateResumeProgram, iterateSetHold, resumeProgram, resumeThisTstat, setAuthTokens, setHold, setHoldExtraParams, heatLevelUp, heatLevelDown, coolLevelUp, coolLevelDown, auxHeatOnly, setThermostatFanMode, dehumidifierOff, dehumidifierOn, humidifierOff, humidifierAuto, setHumidifierLevel, setDehumidifierLevel, updateGroup, getGroups, iterateUpdateGroup, createGroup, deleteGroup, updateClimate, iterateUpdateClimate, createClimate, deleteClimate, setClimate, iterateSetClimate, controlPlug, ventilatorOn, ventilatorAuto, ventilatorOff, setVentilatorMinOnTime, awake, away, present, home, sleep, quickSave, setThisTstatClimate, setThermostatSettings, iterateSetThermostatSettings, getEquipmentStatus, refreshChildTokens, autoAway, followMeComfort, getReportData, generateReportRuntimeEvents, getThermostatRevision, humidifierManual, generateSensorStatsEvents] @ line 70

@jodyalbritton, that means that the old device is still cached somewhere as it does not
support the new command (generateRemoteSensorEvents).

Could you try to kill you SmartThings app, clean the cache, and restart it again?

It happened to me as well…And, by cleaning the cache, it was OK after.

Let me know.

Thnx.

Ok. I cleaned the cache and I no longer see that error but when I launch the discovery for sensors I am getting this error now. Should I be using the beta ecobeeinit as well?

Under ecobee3RemoteSensorsInit in the logs

9:58:38 PM: error groovy.json.JsonException: A JSON payload should start with an openning curly brace '{' or an openning square bracket '['.
Instead, 'null' was found on line: 1, column: 1 @ line 72

@jodyalbritton, no, you do not need to use the MyEcobeeInit.

It looks like the release notes have been published, but the APIs are not ready yet (as the json payload
is empty)…

I guess we’ll have to wait for the official announcement.

Sorry about that.

P.S. To be sure, just go under https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list, click on your My Ecobee device, and check the value of remoteSensorData, if empty, then it means that the APIs are not ready.

It is empty. So now we wait for them to publish the api.