SmartThings Community

Echo Speaks Examples

(Scott) #113

My favorite sensor so far is the HSM200, aka EZMultiPli. They are expensive though. What is your recommendation for a really good motion sensor to do this type of thing with presence?

(Richard Bryant) #114

Ha! You beat me too it…

Does anyone know what the searchMusic provider CLOUDPLAYER is and how I would add it? Is it an Alexa skill? I see adding third party music providers, but nothing about CLOUDPLAYER.

Iris is cheap right now but runs on battery. I like GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Sensor, Motion Only, Portable, White, for Scene Activation and Remote Monitoring, 34193 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KQDIU52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qBXfCbCAVXV3E because you can plug it in or run off battery.

(Roger) #117

Looks like I installed a smartapp called CoRE, so its the webcore I should add or whats the difference ?

(Jason) #118

There’s a good FAQ on CoRE and webCoRE here:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/faq-what-is-webcore-and-what-was-core/59981

I only used CoRE a few times before switching to webCoRE, which I use a lot. Both are good, but webCoRE is more powerful, is updated more frequently, and I feel like there’s more community support for it.

(Neal B) #119

For those on iOS, I created a Siri Shortcut/WebCORE combination where you select from a list of speakers, then enter the text you want it to speak. It uses the “Execute Endpoint” integration in WebCORE.

First, the piston:

Once you create the piston, copy the piston id, and follow the instructions under “Executing Endpoints” under Settings > Integrations in WebCORE to obtain the endpoint url.

And the Shortcut:

Here’s an iCloud link for the Shortcut. Don’t forget to rename the devices in the Shortcut and match them exactly to the names in the “If” section of your WebCORE statements. Note also that the variables don’t need to match your Echo device names in SmartThings. Make sure you paste your WebCORE endpoint URL in the URL field.

This should also work with other TTS speakers like Lannouncer. Just make sure you replace the “SetVolumeSpeakAndRestore” command to “Speak” for devices that don’t support that capability.

Enjoy!

iOS Shortcut Options?
Smartthings Widget via Siri via IOS Shortcuts?
(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #120

I do not use ios, so what does this do?

(Neal B) #121

This lets you activate a “Shortcut” to send a TTS message to a speaker directly right from your iPhone or iPad. Shortcuts is somewhat comparable to Tasker in Android in that it lets you do some scripting to automate actions.

The example above will prompt you for what speaker you want to use, and for text you want to send to it, define variables to send to WebCORE, which would then execute the piston using those variables.

Here’s a gif:
announce

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #122

That’s pretty cool.
I just use EchoSistant. It gives you the option of either creating a complex shortcut and/or creating your automaton in WebCoRE.

An example I have is I have a piston that performs a bunch of actions for when I want to take a nap. I can then execute that piston via EchoSistant by saying any of up to five different phrases…

Great work on the piston with Siri. That’s going to help a lot of people.

(Neal B) #123

Thanks! I use EchoSistant, too! But, honestly, I’m just building off the tremendous work tonesto7 and you have put into the Echo Speaks app. I was ready to give up on the Echos and was looking into DLNA speakers and other solutions when I found the beta for Echo Speaks. I’m not sure if you guys saved or cost me money because now I’ve outfitted my house with more Echos!

(Kevin) #124

Cool, I was kind of wondering what this did as well. I just switched to iphone and have been playing around with Shortcuts. I had not gotten to integrating with webcore yet; so thank you for posting this! I think I will combine this with my heading home / ETA shortcut since kiddos don’t always see the text.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #125

Thanks for using EchoSistant! I hope you get some great use from it.

EchoSpeaks is amazing and has rendered my DLNA speakers completely useless… lol. I have an Echo device in every room of the house and in my sons dorm room at college…

I’ve been using ST for 3 years… and the things that have been made possible because of this community are amazing!

(Phil Panfili) #126

Do all of your Echos speak simultaneously when you clump them together like that? Because when I added more than one Echo, and used Speak; it only spoke on one of them. And not all of them.

So I ended up having to break them up individually.

(Jason) #127

I have a piston set up pretty much the same way, and all my Echo devices speak at the same time.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #128

What app are you using, WebCore? You should paste your piston for us to see.

(Phil Panfili) #129

Thanks for the fast responses guys…I am using Webcore. My piston is extremely basic, as I am just getting into getting everything working. Attached is the Piston I am currently using that is working; however as you can see, I had to break it down into 3 With statements. Before, I had all the Echo’s in 1 With Statement, but then it did not speak on all of them??

(Phil Panfili) #130

Thanks for the fast responses guys…I am using Webcore. My piston is extremely basic, as I am just getting into getting everything working. Attached is the Piston I am currently using that is working; however as you can see, I had to break it down into 3 With statements. Before, I had all the Echo’s in 1 With Statement, but then it did not speak on all of them??

Web

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #131

That is strange that such a basic piston isn’t working for you.
This is how I handle my announcements. I do not want it going to every single device every time, so I created a “Message Control” piston:

Then, I use pistons like this to set the proper message and they trigger the Message Control piston to make the announcements.

as you can see with this, I use a multitude of pistons to make my announcements.

Since you said you are just getting started with WebCoRe I’ll give you some advice… Keep it simple. WC is extremely powerful and a whole lot can be done with just one piston. But trust me, when the troubleshooting starts you’re going to want it as simple as possible.

But, back to your problem. I’m not sure what’s going on with yours not playing on every device. Odds are you’re being rate limited by Amazon and for some reason your Queue isn’t correcting for it.

(Phil Panfili) #132

That looks absolutely amazing man. But at the current moment a little above what I am capable of. But I want to work up to it.

Maybe you can help me out, or point me in the right direction… What I want to do is have the Echo say a random line, from a list of prefined statements.

So basically if the door opens, I’d like to mix it up a bit, and have it say, “Back door opened” or " Someone opened the back door" etc. Etc… I don’t really know what the statement would be yet. But is it possible to do such a thing?

Thanks man.