Easybulb work with SmartThings?

I currently have some Easybulb LEDs. They are also called MiLight, or Limitless. Does anyone know if they’ll work with SmartThings?

How do they integrate? How do Hue integrate with SmartThings as an example please?

Thanks

1 Like

Milight Easybulb, Easybulb, and limitless LED are the same device.

The smartthings/Hue integration is actually cloud to cloud, so it doesn’t apply here.

The easybulb does have an API, but the problem is that it requires UDP, and smartthings doesn’t support that. So as far as I know no integration at the present time. @pstuart Might know more.

See the following topic. Be Warned that it starts out very hopeful about integration, and by the end company employees from easybulb are saying integration is impossible until smartthings adds UDP support. :disappointed_relieved:

UDP isn’t officially supported. Although I have gotten some things to work. I don’t have any bulbs so can’t confirm.

Not sure on some info there, what do you mean cloud to cloud? UDP?

Shame so they look like won’t work…

When it says integrated, does it just mean that the SmartThings app can control it directly, and have some effect like, if motion detected then switch on hue light?

I don’t want to get overly technical here, so the simplest way to put this is that UDP is one way of formatting messages between devices and easybulb requires that format but SmartThings doesn’t support that format.

Phillips Hues are able to use a different message format that SmartThings does support.

it’s possible that some day SmartThings might provide that support, but until it does, SmartThings will ignore any messages sent by easybulb, and easybulb will ignore any messages sent by SmartThings.

When we say we can “integrate” two devices, we mean that they can talk to each other so that one device can ask the other one to turn on or off. Or do whatever other features are provided like change colors, or dim, or play music, or whatever.

Device integration requires both the ability for each device to hear the other and the ability for each device to understand the request that the other one is sending. Typically “hearing” is a hardware issue and “understanding” Is a software issue.

Because the easybulb and SmartThings can both connect to a local network, there’s the potential that they can “hear” each other, but since SmartThings doesn’t support the UDP message format that easybulb uses, They can’t “understand” each other. So the messages get ignored and the integration fails.

Did that help?

Also. Any integration will be one way. Only able to send UDP commands but not parse any response. So getting light status would be impossible.

1 Like

I’ve been working on this all day today, using your examples found in the other threads.

It’s strange, I can send a raw UDP packet using netcat to the device and it will shut the lights off.

def action = new physicalgraph.device.HubAction("\\x41\\x00\\x55", physicalgraph.device.Protocol.LAN,"0A000105:8899")

I wonder if I need to format the byte code differently. Unfortunately there’s not much documentation here.

1 Like

Wooooh! Why didn’t I know about these before?!

I see the approach using the ‘WiFi bridge’ via UDP isn’t going so well… Has anyone tried sniffing the 2.4Ghz RF traffic directly? I wonder if there’s a 2.4Ghz RF shield for Arduino that could maybe be used with ThingShield…

$13-23 per RGB bulb is what we need! Not $50-60! And the Hues aren’t even that bright!

Using an RFToy with an nRF24L01 transceiver could do the trick of sniffing the traffic, then when attached to a ThingShield and Arduino, might be able to control them directly instead of using the WiFi hub?

http://rayshobby.net/cart/rftoy/rft

No it isn’t going well. I actually did get the lights to turn off and on, but I am missing some understanding of the API because each bulb goes off one at a time.

I wish we could get the limitlessled/milight/easybulb guys in here to help. After switching the hub to TCP mode, I was able to make a lot of progress.

As it happens @hamishahern is from LimitlessLed

@hamishahern I’ve posted a new topic looking to collaborate here: Looking to collaborate on MiLight/EasyBulb/LimitlessLED integration

I don’t think it goes without saying it would be in your companies best interest to help get MiLight / LimitlesssLED integrated with SmartThings :smile: I have a proof of concept that can turn lights on and off, but it’s severely broken (only does one bulb at a time, randomly), so I’m missing something that the API may not cover.