Dryer notification based on temperature?

As many of us have discovered, we can’t rely on the Samsung Multisensor’s vibration sensor to tell us when our laundry is done. But it has no problem reading temperature when it spikes to ~95 degrees or so.

Is there a SmartApp that could do this: If temperature rises above 90 degrees for more than 5 minutes, send a notification 10 minutes after it falls below 90 degrees.

This would assume there’s not a long “cool” spin cycle… but the point is we could use the temperature as a trigger.

2 Likes

Core is very good at stacked conditionals which include duration:

2 Likes

Well that was just about as easy as it could get. I created a new piston:

If Dryer temperature exits range 85F-120F

THEN

Send Push Notification ‘Dryer’s Done!’

About to go test it. Thanks to the community Gods and Goddesses for CoRE.

3 Likes

If it works, that’s a much quicker solution than the solution I had on my to do list, to clamp a HEM to my dryer. Good idea!

Sadly it didn’t work. But things look bright for CoRE to accomplish this task.

Update: After a 2nd test, it actually does work like a charm! No changes needed.

1 Like

How are you measuring temperature? You put a sensor inside the dryer?! :slight_smile:

Bahaha, nope - the sensor is just on the front door. It gets that hot, believe it or not.

1 Like

As many of us have discovered, we can’t rely on the Samsung Multisensor’s vibration sensor to tell us when our laundry is done

Is this true for most people?

It works great for me. I have the smart sense outlet for the washer and the vibration sensor for dryer and both work flawless.

I use the laundry app for the dryer and the vibration sensor.

1 Like

You are one of the lucky ones!

@James_Watts

Do you have a minimum cycle time? Like 9 minutes? And a minimum full time, like 4 minutes?

I realize those numbers were originally meant for a washer, but they help the laundry app be accurate for the dryer.

They help with false positives.

Is the issue false positives or missing real endings of dryer?

I’m not sure… The way I see it, the dryer only gets into that superhot range once, and stays there until it cools down. I’ll need to check to see if there’s a cool down period, and might need to add a bit of extra time to the tail. This isn’t something I want to rigorously test though, since running the dryer is expensive :wink:

That sounds like a failsafe solution. Which contact sensor will you be using?

II use Iris Smart Outlets which have power metering. Too much trouble with other solutions and this one works perfect.

If the power draw is above 10 watts then the dryer is on. (4 for washer)

Wrote a couple of pistons to monitor when the dryer/washer starts/stops, how many loads are done in a day/week and if the clothes stay in the washer too long after finishing then nag us in various ways.

If you use a Smart Power Outlet, you have to make sure that the amperage can be handled by that outlet. Some dryers use more amperage than others.

You’re lucky you haven’t met my washer, which is at 9 watts or less when off/not running after it has been unloaded, is at 10 watts or above when running (and falls back to 10 watts several times during a load), AND falls to 10 watts and sits at that level indefinitely when done with a load. Grrrrr…all my plans for a simple “<10 off, 10 or > running” piston blown to he-double hockey sticks.

You know you’re crazy right, but in a kinda good way. :wink:

Wait, how many watts does your washer use during load?

Up to maybe 300 or so, but it goes up and down all over the place during a load, as low as 10 watts, as high as 200 to 300. No really good pattern of watts usage to build a piston off of.

So I’ve set it up so that when the watts change to over 9 watts (start of a load) start a 48 minute timer, and then send a text at the end of the timer.

That seems like a safe bet. With my temperature-based notification, I have no idea how long it’s been since the cycle stopped, and I won’t know unless I decide to watch it like a hawk one day and make an adjustment.

2 Likes