Dragon Tech WS-100 - Z-Wave Plus -On/Off Switch Anyone?

Zwave plus, supports beaming, supports Association, unless there’s some Zwave plus issue that smartthings isn’t supporting yet, it shouldn’t need a new device type. It would just pair as a binary switch.

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Lighting/Zwave-Wall-Switches/Dragon-Tech-WS-100-Z-Wave-Plus-Wall-Mount-On-Off-Switch.html

@duncan will zwave plus binary switches and dimmers have any problems joining a SmartThings installation?

1 Like

Z-Wave Plus is fully backwards compatible, so if it doesn’t work it’s because of some other difference like the use of encapsulation. Switches are required to work in a certain way, so I would be surprised if this didn’t work.

The only issue I would see with this is it might not be polled because it supports Association, so depending on if it sends updates and how, you might not get updated about manual on/off changes.

2 Likes

I tested this out and it works better than some of the other switches I have from Evolve, Linear, GE , Jasco etc…It is a good find.

2 Likes

Does this switch have a deeper click feel to it than the Jasco/GE switches? It looks like it may be more like a traditional paddle than the Jasco which is more like a digital button.

My wife hates the Jasco switches and I need something that is more like a traditional switch in order to expand to other rooms :slight_smile:

Nope! This switch is just like the jasco. Nothing different. I think the manufacturer is the same. Did you consider using micro switches … I think they can be used with traditional switches.

Oh well, thanks for the update. I haven’t looked at micro switches, that’s an idea - I’ll see what I can find

For anyone who has already installed one of these switches, do they require a neutral line? The tech specs and documentation seem pretty sparse, online PDFs don’t show a wiring diagram.

Perhaps I’m answering my own question… I eventually found a Word doc that seemed to show installation instructions, and indicated a neutral wire IS required.

Resurrecting an old thread.
For anyone using this switch, pay attention to the operating spec.
As you can see, the operating temperature is 0C (32F) to 40C (104F).
I have one installed in my garage where the weekend temperature was -8F and this switch failed. It would turn OFF anytime I tried to turn it ON.
Interestingly, a Lowes IRIS switch worked is the same environment.

That is interesting. I have bunch of these , but I live in Texas… so they work perfectly.

Very interesting. I have a couple of these switches as well. I have one in the garage and it did go -10C with no issue mainly because it is installed between 2 GE switches. Thank you for sharing the info.

The GE Switch has the same operating range. It even states “For indoor use only”.

SPECIFICATIONS

Power: 120 VAC, 60 Hz.
Z-Wave Frequency: 908.42 MHz.
Load ratings:
Incandescent - Minimum Load: 40W, Maximum Load: 960W
Motor – 1/2HP
Resistive – 1800W
Range: Up to 100 feet line of sight between the Wireless Controller and the closest Z-Wave receiver module.
Operating Temperature Range: 32-104° F (0-40° C)
For indoor use only.

For what it’s worth, I have several of these installed and they have worked perfectly. Inclusion was much easier than the regular GE/Jasco Z-Wave switches. I live in the south and have had no problems with high temperatures affecting the operation of the switch.

I have three of these and they work well. But I want to use one feature that is not supported in the default device type for z-wave switches. I want to reverse the behavior of the LED.
By default the LED is on when the switch is off. Sort of a night light to help you find the switch.

But these switches are inside the front door controlling outdoor lights that are not easily viewable from inside and it would be more intuitive if the LED is on when the outdoor light is on.

You can turn the LED off all together by clicking the switch a certain number of times. But there is no manual click based way to reverse it.

From page 9 of the manual:
About the LED indicator:
By factory default, the LED indicator will be On when the connected appliance is Off, and
vice versa. This setting can be changed by the following methods,

1. Configuration change with a controller(if supported)
    Parameter 3 Length: 1 byte Valid values: 0, 1 or 2 (default 0)
    If value = 0, the LED indicator will be Off when the connected appliance is On, and the LED
    indicator will be On when the connected appliance is Off
    If value = 1, the LED indicator will be On when the connected appliance is On, and the LED
    indicator will be Off when the connected appliance is Off
    If value = 2, the LED indicator will be always Off regardless of the load status

I want parameter 3 to have a value of 1
Is there a device type that will give me access to this?
I am not prepared to create my own device type from scratch. But I have implemented some custom device types that I found in the community.

full manual is online here https://www.007systems.com/uploads/2/1/1/9/21192470/ws100_manual.pdf

You can do with directly with the SmartThings app. Click on the device then click on the gear icon at top right corner. You will see a selection for LED indicator light. Maybe you are using a custom DTH and don’t have the option but I am using the default z-wave DTH and have this option.

1 Like

You can use the Z wave tweaker device type to access all of the parameters for any mains powered Z wave device. Then after you have the parameters the way you want them, just switch back to your regular device type handler and your changes will stay in effect.

As you can see my device does not have the LED option that yours does.
mine is using “Z-Wave Switch Generic” maybe there is another device type that I can just switch to?

The Z-Wave Tweaker sounds cool. But I don’t know if I have time to mess with it for at least a few weeks.

I solved it. I switched device type from “Z-Wave Switch Generic” to “Z-Wave Switch” and the LED options appeared. That was easy.

1 Like

Update the image from a plug in to a switch, or vise versa to change the led function. Worked for me.

Where do you buy these at?