Doors & Locks

Exactly. The “secure house” command from the Ubi would tell the SmartThings cloud to do a predefined set of instructions (lock door, turn off lights, set alarm). It would have to be a SmartApp that is developed though.

Sounds awesome. Hopefully someone is planning on developing it! Maybe I should ping the lockitron guys to get on it! But good to hear you’ll have control for IP coming out post kickstarter launch.  Thanks Andrew

Andrew, this is my idea. I want to see if this could feasible with Smart Things before I progress. I want to connect a Z-wave appliance module to an outlet, from there I will connect a 120v relay to the Z-wave controlled outlet. The other side of the 120v relay will connect in parallel with the garage door opener button wiring. When the applicant module is energized it will close the relay and operate the opener. I need to be able to have it turn on and then turn off after 2-3 seconds. I don’t know if the Smart Things software can turn something on and then turn it off after a brief time. This would allow a garage door opener cheap. I have seen the appliance modules sell as cheap as $10 on ebay and the relays are $5-$12 depending on where you get it. This would also eliminate the need for the expensive open/close sensors.

This is my goal: As I am driving  down my street I hold my phone to an NFC sticker in my car. My garage door opens (or closes), my door unlocks (or locks), my lights turn on (or off) or whatever else I want all by holding my phone to an NFC sticker in my car. This is one of the cool things about NFC and home automation. You can control an entire scene without even turning on your phone.

 

Hey Brian. The garage door SmartApp is actually already developed by us. I use an Evolve LFM-20 relay for garage doors. We’ve wired up about 4 of them now. The SmartApp turns it on and off within 2 seconds. The garage door topic has come up quite a bit. It would be awesome to see an entry to our maker contest thats an easy to install, small, affordable garage door relay.

Not sure on the NFC integration yet. You could set the phone to send out an HTTP POST to the cloud, but you would have to develop that. Which is pretty straight forward actually. The iPhone has location services built in which you could also use, Android is not far behind. Personally, I just keep a SmartSense Presence tag in my car.

I’m glad to hear the garage door opener is already built in. That’s great news. I am going to put together the hardware tomorrow. I just don’t have a way to test it yet… Does the LFM-20 need open/close sensors installed on the door or can it rely on the garage door opener to control the starting and stopping of the opener? I have an LFM-20 on order for experimenting.

I hope the NFC integration overall is a big part of this system. There is so much that can be done through NFC. I’ve never been impressed with location services and their overall reliability.

I noticed in the Smart Things promo video there was a demonstration of NFC stickers being used to activate scenarios. That is good news. I haven’t watched the video in several months and forgot about the NFC integration.

 

Hey cool! Those were my idea! I forgot about those, they’re pretty sweet tags.  The idea behind that was the phone, when scanning the NFC tag, would open up a webpage and send an HTTP POST to the webserver which would run a pre-determined set of events. That was before our mobile app was mature so I downloaded a random NFC reader app off of the Android market. I think the coolest thing we setup was after scanning the tag, an HTTP POST was sent out to a listening XBMC server and it played a song when you walked in.

There are no problems with doing that now. It can definitely be done, its just not something that will be supported from the SmartThings app at launch. You could make use of our API and use a 3rd party NFC reader to send the call to the SmartThings cloud. It would take some development though.

I rounded up some hardware today and built my garage door opener. It works perfect. The software I am using is the only limitation though. I have to manually turn off the switch. My total investment including the appliance module was around $20. I am going to work on building it all into a neat little package once I get my order.

It is my understanding that Lockitron is now shipping to early orders. Does anyone have any idea if this is compatible with Smartthings?

not until someone tries to develop an app or a device type that can talk with Lockitron.

Anyone forsee any problems with the Kevo from Kwikset? I’m looking for a deadbolt with no keypad and the Kevo looks pretty slick.

A few… It’s bluetooth and doesn’t have an open API :slight_smile:

Can anyone here recommend the best and secure door lock I preferred automated type with enhance security and one that would look great and fit for the contemporary pocket doors I bought from http://caldwells.com/. It will be use for the secondary inner front door after the metal gate type as one in front. Need to have that type of door lock as there are many burglars roaming around in our community by night. We have our windows already secured.

Does anyone know if I add a compatible Schlage lock, does it double it as a open/close sensor? If so, is there any need (or benefit) to also add a open/close?

Schlage locks do not double as open/closed sensors, so it is useful to also have an open/closed sensor. The door lock could say it is locked even if the door is open.

Hi folks. I’m new here, looking for some information before I take the plunge into home automation. Hoping to get some advice on how smoothly this works…

I know there are deadbolt locks available that will automatically unlock under certain conditions. I have seen key fobs and presence sensors. However, I have heard that you can set up Tasker and IFTTT rules to trigger the unlocking action automatically. The question I have is how quickly those rules trigger the action? I could set up rules that trigger as soon as my phone connects to my home wifi network, which would be 30 seconds or so before I got to the door. However, if it took 2 or 3 minutes for the lock to receive the order to unluck, it would defeat the purpose.

I get response times to lock the door in under 10 seconds using the lock it when I leave smart app

Thanks for the reply. Is that an auto locking feature (doesn’t require you to touch the phone)? Does it auto unlock as well? What app is that? The stock SmartThings app?

There’s a SmartApp that someone developed that will:

  1. Lock when you close the door (can set after x minutes)
  2. Unlock if the lock is manually locked and the door is opened - to prevent bolt jam

You can get this SmartApp by creating a new smartapp and searching for the shared examples.

Is there anyone who made the kwikset 925 work with smartthings?

The kwikset 925 seems to be the only smartlock which looks ‘normal’… if anyone knows a smartlock which looks ‘normal’ and thus doesn’t have a keyboard on it or isn’t uber big, let me know please :smile: