Dome Water Valve Shows up as “Placeholder”

Finally got the Dome water main valve DMWV1. It pairs immediately but shows as device type placeholder. I have read alot on the forums but everything seems to be old and outdated. I found directions on Dome’s website and added the custom DTH I found there and excluded it and repaired it. Same results, shows as device type placeholder in the cloud with no device network ID. I edited it and changed it to Dome Water Shut-off and ran a zwave repair. It shows no Data and no Zwave route. I then changed it to Z-wave water valve and I get the same results after running a zwave repair. Is this correct, should it show cloud execution and no data or zwave routes. I’m leaving it at Z-wave water valve because in one of the posts someone mentioned not to use custom DTH’s because groovy is going away? It works, open and closes but I want to make sure that this is the way it is supposed to be.

edited to update

I just reread your post and noticed you said everything is working now. In that case just leave it alone, it’s fine. The rest of this note will explain why you’re seeing different things in the IDE than we used to.

The IDE (The web interface to your account where you are seeing this information) is part of the old architecture and will be going away soon. So it has not been updated to keep up with the new architecture.

Anything which is using the new architecture will show as “placeholder“ including anything which is using an edge driver.

You should not try to change that information, because it can mess up communications with the device. If you want to use a DTH instead (but be aware that all groovy DTHs will be going away pretty soon to be replaced by edge drivers) You need to first add the DTH to your account. And then add the device to your network. When it is being added to the network, it should then choose the custom DTH in preference to the edge driver.

Also, once a device shows up as “placeholder“ (which more and more devices are going to as the transition progresses) you will no longer see any zwave route information because the new architecture devices aren’t feeding that information to the IDE. That’s just how it is for now while we’re in the middle of all of this. :thinking:

Here are a couple of current community FAQs that should help clear up the confusion if you want more details. (The topic title is a clickable link, and each FAQ will include links to the official announcements that are relevant.)

PLACEHOLDERS

EDGE DRIVERS

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

In the ST app, go to your valve device, and hit the 3 dots in the top right corner. Is there a “Driver” option? If so, your device is using an Edge driver and has local execution. Z-wave valves are one of the first sets of devices to start using Edge by default.

1 Like

That sounds good so far. The Z-Wave Valve is one of the very first Edge drivers that has gone into full production.

Oh. What wasn’t working that made you want to do that?

1 Like

@JDRoberts Thank you , this explains everything now. I have removed and repaired the device and it is back to placeholder with no device id as before and I will leave it alone now. Question, when the integration is complete, will we have to remove all of our devices and add them again?

@philh30 yes, there is a driver option.

@orangebucket I changed it to the Dome DTH because I was trying to check the ZWAVE route and didn’t see one. Now after reading over the link that JD sent , I understand it now.

1 Like

Ah I see. Yes, we could really do with that information available via the API sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Hopefully not, ST hasn’t given us fully detailed answers yet.

More discussion in the official announcement thread.

Hub Connected Devices Now Use Edge Drivers

As @philh30 points out below, the current situation, while we are still in the beta, is different because it’s possible to use either a DTH or an edge driver. Once the DTHs no longer work, the process may be different and hopefully simpler. :sunglasses:

JD, thanks for all the help.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything to indicate that these categories you’ve defined will be handled differently. I would assume that all z-wave/zigbee devices (regardless of whether they’re using a standard or custom DTH) will be fingerprinted first to installed Edge drivers and then, if there are no matches, to stock uninstalled drivers. If the fingerprinted driver doesn’t match what you want, you just change drivers.

I’d certainly like to see more detail on how the transition will work, but I haven’t seen a ST staff member give any indication that z-wave or zigbee devices will need to be excluded and re-included during the official migration.

Once the cloud goes away, that would make sense.

Right now, though, you can use either a custom DTH or an edge driver and my understanding is that the custom DTH takes precedence at joining. For now. Or has that changed?

Is what happens now during the beta relevant here? The question posed was “When the integration is complete, will we have to remove all of our devices and add them again?” I think ST staff have been pretty clear that won’t be necessary for z-wave and zigbee devices.

1 Like

Good point. That makes sense. I’ve edited my post above to stick to the question about what happens after the transition is complete. Thanks for the correction. :sunglasses:

1 Like